Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:04:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

More Spinal Tap

Started by Otisberg, March 27, 2024, 11:40:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otisberg

This will be awful, but it's suddenly become more awful.

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2024/03/27/55263/brits_land_roles_in_this_is_spinal_tap_sequel

"Also joining the cast are Don Lake, John Michael Higgins, Jason Acuña, Griffin Matthews, comedian Brad Williams, and musician Paul Shaffer, best known for being David Letterman's bandleader for more than 30 years." - Come on, Chortle, ffs.

madhair60

niat

I see the drummer from the famous "Hot Chili Peppers" is also making a cameo.

TheMonk

Quote from: niat on March 27, 2024, 12:27:01 PMI see the drummer from the famous "Hot Chili Peppers" is also making a cameo.
Perhaps they've worked out that the higher the level of fame of the exploding drummer the more hilarious their death.

thugler

This is going to be so shit.

DrGreggles

Guest, McKean and Shearer obviously still have the comedy improv chops, which is what still gives me hope, but it just doesn't feel right or excite me.

I'll watch it and, if it's shit, I'll pretend it never happened.

PaulTMA

Still time for Dave Grohl to involve himself isn't there

SpiderChrist

Nothing I've read about this gives me any hope that it will be good, let alone great. Maybe they'll surprise us.

Thosworth

Favourite Spinal Tap adjacent anecdote is Liam Gallagher loving the film and going to see them in Carnegie Hall with Noel. Mighty Wind come on as support, and he says who are these guys - they're shit. Noel, dumbfounded, reveals the truth, to which Liam gets up, storms out of the building and never mentions them again.

idunnosomename

Quote from: PaulTMA on March 27, 2024, 10:58:17 PMStill time for Dave Grohl to involve himself isn't there
we can only hope

neveragain

Kerry Godliman's always great no matter what she's in and Chris Addison was good (any CaB regulars can fill that in), so I wouldn't be put off by either of them. Nina Conti was in Christopher Guest's short-lived Family Tree series, which I recently rewatched. She wasn't bad, as long as you can withstand the monkey.

markburgle

Slightly worried about all the famous musos. Hopefully they were only allowed in it if they agreed to made to look incredibly foolish somehow

Cold Meat Platter

Ricky Gervais is rumoured to be the drummer

popcorn

Quote from: Thosworth on March 28, 2024, 09:20:53 AMFavourite Spinal Tap adjacent anecdote is Liam Gallagher loving the film and going to see them in Carnegie Hall with Noel. Mighty Wind come on as support, and he says who are these guys - they're shit. Noel, dumbfounded, reveals the truth, to which Liam gets up, storms out of the building and never mentions them again.

Was he angry because Noel got the name wrong (they're called the Folksmen)

Oosp

Would be amazing if Bob Odenkirk appeared as David St. Hubbins' wayward younger brother, maybe a maverick hired to play keys for the Tap on tour but who keeps having runins with the law over this and that. Eventually David would have to let him go, and maybe he'd go on to great things as a solo artist under a stage name. Maybe he'd do something really ambitious like Mike Oldfield/Jean-Michel Jarre, while also doing session work for every dodgy up-and-comer around. Meanwhile, he'd rack up a ludicrous rap sheet, until finally his LA pad is raided by the Feds. Of course, by this point, he's dragged the family name through the dirt - thanks in no small part to a lurid tell-all he wrote to pay off an enormous gambling debt - so it's all over for David, too

Thosworth

Quote from: popcorn on March 29, 2024, 02:20:32 AMWas he angry because Noel got the name wrong (they're called the Folksmen)

To be fair to him, Noel got it right. Here's a 2005 Observer Music Monthly feature, where bizarrely David Walliams asks Noel to confirm the story told to him by Ricky Gervais. Pretty amusing Peter Kay story at the end there, too:

https://www.theguardian.com/observer/omm/story/0,,1507223,00.html

Yeah, he thought they were real people. We went to see them play in Carnegie Hall. Before they played, they came on as three folk singers from the film A Mighty Wind. We were laughing and he said: 'This is shit'. We said: 'No, those three are in Spinal Tap. You do know they are American actors?' 'They're not even a real band?' 'They're not even English! One of them is married to Jamie Lee Curtis.' 'I'm not fuckin' 'avin that,' he says, and walks off right up the middle of Carnegie Hall. He's never watched Spinal Tap since. He'd seen the film and loved it and thought they were a real band.

dr beat

That reminds me of Peter Mandelson thinking that Alan Partridge was a real person.

seepage

Quote from: neveragain on March 28, 2024, 07:48:15 PMKerry Godliman's always great no matter what she's in

have you seen Whitstable Pearl???

neveragain

Quote from: seepage on March 29, 2024, 04:09:41 PMhave you seen Whitstable Pearl???

No, haven't. I'm guessing it's not a moment of glory?

seepage

Quote from: neveragain on March 28, 2024, 07:48:15 PMChris Addison was good (any CaB regulars can fill that in)
... as Alex in Lab Rats.

Glebe

Quote from: dr beat on March 29, 2024, 02:11:14 PMThat reminds me of Alan Partridge thinking that Peter Mandelson was a real person.

Speak

I have an irrational hatred of Kerry Godliman