Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:00:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stranger having a go at me because my name isn't catholic or protestant

Started by Shit Good Nose, February 06, 2020, 12:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timebug

Worked with an Ulsterman decades back, whose surname was 'Smythe'. He used to go proper mental if we called him 'Smithy' which of course we did all the more, once we discovered he had a thing about it. My late wifes maiden name was of Irish origin, (as was her father!) and the Scots branch of our family derided the name as being basically taken from them, and 'mucked about with'.
No pleasing some folk.

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: Buelligan on February 07, 2020, 09:19:50 AM
Thanks for the thoroughly backhanded apology.  I have thought about it.  I think it's because there are some people who just cannot stand it when another person declines their offer, often with menaces, of conforming, allowing oneself to be bullied into submission.  Especially, though not exclusively, when that person is a woman. 

I go on discussion boards to talk about ideas, maybe have a laugh, I don't go on them to stand around in little groups pursing my lips and nodding along.  None of it is personal, though many wish to make it so.  If you think that's a problem, it's not my problem.
Here's an alternative explanation: you present yourself as some sort of cross between Marcus Aurelius and a cosmic pixie who's transcended the physical realm and is here to hand down pearls of pure wisdom from your marshmallow throne. It'd work as well, if you had a fresh parade of new posters constantly passing through a week or so at a time, but unfortunately for you they stick around, and before long they start to see the mask slip so often it's practically hanging round your neck.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: timebug on February 07, 2020, 10:03:55 AM
Worked with an Ulsterman decades back, whose surname was 'Smythe'. He used to go proper mental if we called him 'Smithy' which of course we did all the more, once we discovered he had a thing about it. My late wifes maiden name was of Irish origin, (as was her father!) and the Scots branch of our family derided the name as being basically taken from them, and 'mucked about with'.
No pleasing some folk.

Coming over here taking our names; all cos of Brexit/Trump/the Chinese/the North Koreans/Huawei, etc.

Buelligan

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on February 07, 2020, 10:17:29 AM
Here's an alternative explanation: you present yourself as some sort of cross between Marcus Aurelius and a cosmic pixie who's transcended the physical realm and is here to hand down pearls of pure wisdom from your marshmallow throne. It'd work as well, if you had a fresh parade of new posters constantly passing through a week or so at a time, but unfortunately for you they stick around, and before long they start to see the mask slip so often it's practically hanging round your neck.

Well maybe, like I said it's looking too much at personalities rather than ideas.  I'll admit it, I do have a couple, a few, people here that I feel genuine personal friendship towards, that transcends this site, it transcends opinions.  For the rest, I'm interested in thoughts not personalities, I don't give a merry fuck about the sort of stuff you seem obsessed with.  None of it.  That's in your head and like I said before, it seems to be your problem.

mr. logic

Quote from: Buelligan on February 07, 2020, 11:04:42 AM
Well maybe, like I said it's looking too much at personalities rather than ideas.  I'll admit it, I do have a couple, a few, people here that I feel genuine personal friendship towards, that transcends this site, it transcends opinions.  For the rest, I'm interested in thoughts not personalities, I don't give a merry fuck about the sort of stuff you seem obsessed with.  None of it.  That's in your head and like I said before, it seems to be your problem.

So why do you share so many details of your personal life?

Buelligan

I don't see how that impacts at all on what I'm saying.  I speak from my own position and experience, I assume that's the same for most people.

ETA  Though I would question the assertion that I share many details of my personal life.  I would say, compared to many, I am quite private about a lot of stuff.  But that's just my take on it.

bgmnts

To be fair even in a conversation about jam you'd preface it with "As someone who lives in a cave on my own, as free as the wind" so it is hard to separate thoughts from personality like innit.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

We here in the Republic of Ireland do not hate Protestants.

We hate the Brits.

Buelligan

Heheh.

Quote from: bgmnts on February 07, 2020, 11:15:39 AM
To be fair even in a conversation about jam you'd preface it with "As someone who lives in a cave on my own, as free as the wind" so it is hard to separate thoughts from personality like innit.

I don't think that's true.  I think it's you who prefaces my statements with those sorts of things, which is not my fault or problem.  See the marshmallow post above.

madhair60

For fuck's sake, not all of us are sat here with a map of Europe and a compass, gradually circling smaller and smaller areas where we believe Buelligan may reside, closing in fast on her real name and address.

I am but not all of us.

EOLAN

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on February 07, 2020, 11:16:56 AM
We here in the Republic of Ireland do not hate Protestants.

We hate the Brits.

Unless you happen to be Scottish.

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: Buelligan on February 07, 2020, 11:04:42 AM
When you say "The stuff you seem obsessed with" are you referring to me specifically? If so I'm genuinely curious as to what these obsessions are.

Other than that, just like your last response to me, what you've said there is beyond meaningless. What do you actually mean to say?

Sin Agog

Do you actually live in a cave, though?  'cause I slept in a cave for a few days once- done it up all nice like Aladdin's Grotto- and I was fucking terrified of going anywhere near the walls as they were covered in these little red insects.  Googled them and I think they're called Spider Mites or Clover Mites or something.

These things:

Once, from my sailboat, I saw some guy poke his head out of a little hole right in the middle of a big old chalk cliff.  I guess it was his home?  Didn't see any ropes or anything so fuck knows how he got in and out of there.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

madhair60

Quote from: Sin Agog on February 07, 2020, 11:38:33 AM
Once, from my sailboat, I saw some guy poke his head out of a little hole right in the middle of a big old chalk cliff.  I guess it was his home?  Didn't see any ropes or anything so fuck knows how he got in and out of there.

gEIST

Blinder Data

Quote from: EOLAN on February 07, 2020, 11:35:25 AM
Unless you happen to be Scottish.

lolling at the staunch unionists in Scotland who INSIST that you hate them for being Brits too

imitationleather

Please can we get back to agreeing that Catholic Stephen sounds incredibly perceptive about the ugly truth that lurks within SGN's soul and trying to get him to post on here instead?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Buelligan on February 07, 2020, 09:19:50 AM
I go on discussion boards to talk about ideas
In that case, I think it would be a good idea for you to apologise to SGN. His abhorrent views on science fiction films aside, he doesn't seem like a bad sort.

Buelligan

Impossible.  A, because I have nothing to apologise for and B, Phil Collins.  Also, see you next Tuesday.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: imitationleather on February 07, 2020, 03:20:14 PM
Please can we get back to agreeing that Catholic Stephen sounds incredibly perceptive about the ugly truth that lurks within SGN's soul and trying to get him to post on here instead?

Hopefully my plan to resurrect Cromwell will come to fruition before that.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 07, 2020, 03:23:50 PM
In that case, I think it would be a good idea for you to apologise to SGN. His abhorrent views on science fiction films aside, he doesn't seem like a bad sort.

I've said my bit and I stand by those comments, and I've said I will be ignoring her from now on.  I'm sure the feeling is mutual.  That's the end of it as far as I'm concerned.

Also Aliens smells of poo.  And wee.

Sebastian Cobb

I don't understand what someone's need for a jacket has to do with anything.

Buelligan

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 07, 2020, 03:37:42 PM
I don't understand what someone's need for a jacket has to do with anything.

There's no heating in cuckoo clocks, it melts the chocolate.

poodlefaker

Morrissey is a Steven, despite coming from an Irish Catholic family.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: poodlefaker on February 07, 2020, 03:54:49 PM
Morrissey is a Steven, despite coming from an Irish Catholic family.

Oh fuck, he is isn't he.

ph here I come.

mippy

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on February 06, 2020, 04:07:09 PM
Anna Burns' novel Milkman (set in Northern Ireland in the 1970s) has a very long list of unacceptably Protestant names like Nigel, Peregrine, Alf, Wilberine, and Auberon, which one hopes no children were named in either community. If you can spell it, it's probably not Catholic (none of the Catholic characters in the novel actually have names).

I've heard some nonsense about Stuart/Stewart etc regarding which is the correct Scottish spelling, which is English, and which is Protestant or Catholic. Apparently Mary, Queen of Scots changed it from Stewart to Stuart, probably because she was contrary. Here's someone who claims Stewart is Protestant, but given how often the House of Stuart/Stewart flipped, it's unlikely there's a connection.

I looked for such a list and found....whatever this is https://catholiclookforwife.blogspot.com/2011/07/loving-girls-named-jillian.html

Blinder Data

Get the weirdo sacked for intimidation and sectarian behaviour

"No hard feelings, mate - here's your PH, sorry P45"

The whole office will be ROFLING, guaranteed

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Blinder Data on February 07, 2020, 05:14:11 PM
Get the weirdo sacked for intimidation and sectarian behaviour

"No hard feelings, mate - here's your PH, sorry P45"

The whole office will be ROFLING, guaranteed

I did actually LOL there. 

Nah, I'll let the dust settle.  Like I said, it's unlikely I'll have owt else to do with him, other than the occasional "hello". 

Course, every chance he'll try to strike up a conversation with me.  Cross that bridge if/when I get to it.