Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:37:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I don't get it...

Started by canadagoose, June 19, 2021, 08:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Quote from: Spiteface on June 20, 2021, 09:12:22 PM
The kind of people who say shit like "we stan" maybe?

I don't get "we stan". Is it supposed to be "we stand" with a speech impediment, or "we Stan" with a typing one? I just don't get it.

Mr Banlon

Stan the creepy fan from the Eminem song.

Spiteface

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 20, 2021, 09:15:58 PM
I don't get "we stan". Is it supposed to be "we stand" with a speech impediment, or "we Stan" with a typing one? I just don't get it.

It's a reference to the Eminem song "Stan", which for some reason has become a perfectly acceptable thing to identify yourself as.

You know, an obsessive fan who gets so angry his idol doesn't reply to his fan mail that he drives himself off a cliff with his pregnant girlfriend tied up in the boot of the car? That old chestnut.

Johnny Yesno

Cuellar

We have no choice but to stan

willbo

Quote from: Spiteface on June 20, 2021, 09:24:14 PM
It's a reference to the Eminem song "Stan", which for some reason has become a perfectly acceptable thing to identify yourself as.

you don't get modern youth irony

touchingcloth

Quote from: Spiteface on June 20, 2021, 09:24:14 PM

You know, an obsessive fan who gets so angry his idol doesn't reply to his fan mail that he drives himself off a cliff with his pregnant girlfriend tied up in the boot of the car? That old chestnut.

Is it? They're saying we (which I assume in the context is a royal one) drive our girlfriend off a bridge? Can you give an example sentence where someone might it, but replace it with "we drive our girlfriend off a bridge"?

touchingcloth

And also, Stan is about a million years old. It feels to me like "we stan" is less than a couple of years old, so it would be a bit like me in 2000 when Stan was released saying "we Second Hand News" in reference to the Fleetwood Stan track.

Spiteface

Quote from: willbo on June 20, 2021, 09:30:30 PM
you don't get modern youth irony

No, because I'm 38 and therefore old.

It's still fucking stupid though.

touchingcloth

And surely the wokeflake kids you get these days aren't into Eminem because of the whole Kim and faggots thing. Which is my usual order at the chippie.

Icehaven

Did Eminem use the name Stan as it's a portmanteau of stalker and fan, or just because it's easy to rhyme with?

imitationleather

Middle aged CaB thread.

who cares

Quote from: Mr Banlon on June 20, 2021, 05:07:08 PM
Anything with more than 3 blades is just a gimmick and impractical.

It is my contention that it is better to shave twice with one blade than once with two.

who cares

I don't get it- spending say, £10 grand on a wedding. Hiring a string quartet. Spending £2k on a band of metal to go on your finger. (Clearly these people are richer than me.) Matching bridesmaid's dresses at £300 a pop. Et Cetera.

And then I saw a tv programme, The Super-Rich and Us, and this fella says, "Twenty-five grand is about what I'd spend on my daughter's birthday party," so I suppose it's all relative.

canadagoose

Quote from: who cares on June 20, 2021, 11:33:16 PM
I don't get it- spending say, £10 grand on a wedding. Hiring a string quartet. Spending £2k on a band of metal to go on your finger. (Clearly these people are richer than me.) Matching bridesmaid's dresses at £300 a pop. Et Cetera.

And then I saw a tv programme, The Super-Rich and Us, and this fella says, "Twenty-five grand is about what I'd spend on my daughter's birthday party," so I suppose it's all relative.
I don't get this either! No way would I ever spend anything like that on a wedding. £1000 at most for me. It's funny when people who act like they're so hard-done-by spend tons on a wedding, like, do they not realise most people don't have that sort of dosh?

idunnosomename

Quote from: icehaven on June 20, 2021, 11:14:11 PM
Did Eminem use the name Stan as it's a portmanteau of stalker and fan, or just because it's easy to rhyme with?
not sure he's ever said, or even why he wrote it in the first place. I mean it's quite a clever thing, overall: epistolary structure, the memorable video, intertextuality (with his own work and Phil Collins) and making something good out of a Dido song. on the other hand making up a guy who's so obsessed with you he kills himself and his pregnant girlfriend is a bit... cringe. as those kids say

purlieu

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 20, 2021, 09:35:48 PM
And also, Stan is about a million years old. It feels to me like "we stan" is less than a couple of years old, so it would be a bit like me in 2000 when Stan was released saying "we Second Hand News" in reference to the Fleetwood Stan track.
"Alternative" kids these days are still into Slipknot, Green Day and Nirvana. It's probably an internet thing, but something being old doesn't seem to make it irrelevant to kids in the way it did back in our day.

I've seen the occasional person comment about how Stan is an inappropriate reference, but it's clearly somewhat tongue-in-cheek, and also really isn't very different to "fan", which is an abbreviation of "fanatic", a term also used to describe people who take their belief in something to an extreme.

Spiteface

I see it most in relation to members of K-Pop bands.

Which makes sense, as that whole scene appears to be less fanbases and more cults. Or something that sounds a lot like cults...

Dex Sawash

I keep confusing stan-ing with ship-ing

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 20, 2021, 04:25:39 PM
Cookery programmes. Unless they invent taste-o-vision I really don't see the appeal.

I didn't used to, but last year I was bored enough to watch Bake Off which I'd always avoided and discovered that they don't give them enough time so they have to rush and things go wrong, and it's quite funny watching someone try to put two layers of a cake together when the chocolate is molten and the two halves of the cake are slipping and sliding all over the place.  (Tip for anyone in this situation: get a chopstick and ram it through both cake layers so the top layer is pinned into place and can't slip off.)
They're even doing an experts Bake Off now and you'd think with the higher standard of cooking there'd be less disasters but there's even more because they get overambitious and build vast edifices which invariably collapse.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: The Mollusk on June 20, 2021, 07:18:15 PM
This thread is lame. You sound like miserable gobshites. I mean I'm a really miserable gobshite but at least I'm cute with it.

Don't kid yourself. The Mollusk used to be cute before he was getting married.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: who cares on June 20, 2021, 11:33:16 PM
Hiring a string quartet. Spending £2k on a band of metal to go on your finger.

I think you're stereotyping here to assume that the quartet of string would be too strait-laced to urinate on one of your body parts for two grand.

Video Game Fan 2000

I hate all perception and sensation. If its not a very least a notion it can toddle right off.

I miss the 90s. Branigans. Crisps flavoured after ideas. We need to go back.

thenoise

Quote from: Mr Banlon on June 20, 2021, 07:56:57 PM
The sad end of : Someone who isn't gravely ill/dead and actually still working/doing alright with their life.
Why you don't see/people won't work with : Someone who is still about and working.
You won't believe these cute animals actually exist (and you'd be right because they don't)

You'll never guess what this former child actress of 20 years ago looks like now!
That's right - she's a full grown adult!!

willbo

Quote from: purlieu on June 21, 2021, 12:13:46 AM
"Alternative" kids these days are still into Slipknot, Green Day and Nirvana. It's probably an internet thing, but something being old doesn't seem to make it irrelevant to kids in the way it did back in our day.

Will Self said when he took his son to the Reading Festival, he was shocked at how old the nu-metal bands his son liked all looked

The Mollusk

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 21, 2021, 01:00:19 AM
Don't kid yourself. The Mollusk used to be cute before he was getting married.

On a similar tip, people in this thread are kidding themselves if they think they can get married for under £1000. For that price you'd get a registry office ceremony (midweek), a basic menu buffet service for about 50-60 guests but with no venue to put it in, and maybe at a push one of the rings. No bar, no disco, no decor, no venue, no outfits, fuck all. Weddings are expensive full stop.

My fiancée and I and doing as much as we can as DIY - supplying our own table wine, designing and making all our own decorations for the venue and table, getting skilled friends to contribute services including playing DJ sets and making the wedding dress, and ours is still looking close to £8000.

Fair enough if that ain't for you, don't get married or just have a registry office do and invite mates down the pub, but if you want anything resembling a basic traditional wedding day you either need to get saving (what we're doing) or take a loan out (what idiots do).

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: purlieu on June 21, 2021, 12:13:46 AM

There is something interesting here about "kids these days" being linked to the digital past more readily than generations before (because it didn't exist) where now access to past trends is possible (before you had to buy or have your parents own something).  We've also rehashed IPs so much because of the capitalisation of music etc... new mainstream music is incredibly dull with no movements around it (Grime being the exception) and appears to be just full of middle class edgy ballads or the weird mess that is the dance music (which is kind of like happy hardcore but taking itself seriously) [nb]That person that is going to pop up and quite unoriginally tell me that music is is just the same, it's like when your parents didn't like your music, good music is out there if you look for it, all music is good it's just different tastes, please don't bother[/nb].

I get this though; it is the debasement of the music industry through greed and forced creation of icons not simply artists.

There is also something going on with Boomers and now Gen Xrs not getting old, understanding this and playing their part by shutting up and quietly waiting to die like generations before; they want in on youth still and are therefore up for supporting anything youth based they can get their hands on so I imagine if you Mum is going "Darling I've just bought the new Billie Ellish album we can listen to it together" it might be quite natural to try and find something authentic from the past to hold on too[nb]I don't think there is anything unusual here trends are often repeated and updated[/nb]

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: The Mollusk on June 20, 2021, 11:52:40 AM
Isn't the point of the photoshop threads on here not that everyone is clamouring (and failing) to make the best image in the thread, but that it's a deliberate hammering of a really silly thing, saturating it to death, the and in doing so, that's where a large portion of the humour comes from? That's why I like them anyway.

Yeah, to a large extent. Which also has the effect of making those moments of inspired creativity contained within have more of an impact.

willbo

I don't get Quantum Physics

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Harry Badger on June 19, 2021, 10:48:28 PM
Unfunny blue-tick shit for cunts. Just about every CaB collage is funnier than that cack.
I like Cold War Steve for the most part but also agree with this sentiment, I have no idea why the guy occupies a higher station in the art world than someone like Chris (Simpsons Artist). Or to put it another way, I don't get it.