Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:02:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Michael Rosen

Started by lauraxsynthesis, March 09, 2024, 09:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lauraxsynthesis

I live across the road from Goldsmiths University where Michael Rosen runs the MA in Children's Literature. Last night he did a reading event there and I went along. It was the opposite of a comedy gig. A dude played cello very beautifully, then Rosen read a piece about the death of his son, then the musician played something that might have been a clarinet, then Rosen read a piece about his Covid experience of 40 days in a coma and his recovery, then there was more cello. It was all beautiful and moving af. I don't think I'd have gone in person if I'd known there would be stuff about bereavement as it was a bit overwhelming. In the whole evening, there was one intentional joke and maybe 3 funny bits. It was remarkably humour-free, not that that's a criticism. In the Q&A after an audience member thanked Rosen for his advocacy for intensive care nurses. When I feel emotionally up to it, I'll read his new memoir.

A couple of particularly memorable bits: much of the coma stuff was just notes various medical practitioners wrote to him. One was someone normally based at Great Ormond St who said that Going on a Bear Hunt was her favourite book. On his birthday, when he was still under, 15 staff sang happy birthday to him. It all really brought it back what NHS staff did for us and how they're being shat on.

Kankurette

Oh thank fuck, I was worried he'd died for a second. I love him. He's one of my favourite poets.

He was in Sainsbury's magazine last month talking about when he had COVID. They do a feature every month where a sleb talks about their most memorable meal, and Rosen talked about the shepherd's pie the nurses served him when he was recovering, and how it was like being a baby, and it was simple food, but good and nourishing and it stayed with him.

bgmnts

Are his events usually really funny? I know nothing about Rosen beyond the fact he suffered that bereavement and is an all round force for good.

touchingcloth

Quote from: bgmnts on March 09, 2024, 09:52:57 PMAre his events usually really funny? I know nothing about Rosen beyond the fact he suffered that bereavement and is an all round force for good.

He's always been funny when I've heard him on Radio 4 (on the interview and culture shows rather than panel ones), but like you his bereavement is something I closely associate with him.