Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:41:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Scavengers Reign (2023) - animated sci-fi

Started by surreal, December 27, 2023, 11:25:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

surreal

Couldn't see a thread for this.  I'd heard a lot about this so decided to "acquire" it, and I'm glad I did.

Basic premise is a handful of survivors stranded on an alien planet, split up and trying to get back to their ship.  The difference is in the alien world building - it's not "oh there's a bunch of bad guys after us", it's the whole planet.  The eco-system is incredibly well thought out and it is nature that is the threat (or help in some cases).

Really reminds me of Ghibli, Princess Mononoke especially.  It's like if Studio Ghibli made a TV show out of No Mans Sky or something.  12 episodes ~25 minutes each.  The voice acting is very good too, which is sometimes the weak point.

Very recommended if you like good sci-fi and animation.  Really hoping they do another series.

Trailer - this is mixed up enough to not spoil any plot points:

13 schoolyards

Really been enjoying this, it does an excellent job of depicting an alien world that's not the usual one-note "everything's trying to kill us" but is still plausibly dangerous in lots of interesting ways. Some nice subtle character stuff with the humans too.

surreal

yes, just "nature being nature". Some really well thought out points, and loved the stuff with the Levi robot too.  Hope they get another season.

Alberon

Not heard anything about this at all. I'll have a look.

The trailer seems to have a very European comic book vibe to it.

surreal

Quote from: Alberon on December 28, 2023, 01:11:25 PMNot heard anything about this at all. I'll have a look.

The trailer seems to have a very European comic book vibe to it.

Yes, that's true - the Ghibli thing is mainly for the fantastical ecosystem and animals/plants

Absolutely loved this. The alien world is amazing, I initially felt the character stuff was a bit weak and sterile but it really won me round by the end.

FalseRodHull

Just chiming in to say this is excellent, thanks for posting the thread. Real breath of fresh air

Chairman Yang

Another thanks for bringing this to my attention, really great stuff. It's sort of like halfway between Kino's Journey and Prometheus.