Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Technology / Games Of The Year (Halfway Edition)
« Last post by The Boston Crab on Today at 09:51:19 AM »
With the summer solstice behind us and E3 a distant memory of amalgamated hubbub, what are the best or most notable games you've played so far this year? (To avoid list thread syndrome, this thread will self-destruct in one week and all discussion of the games mentioned should be reposted to the relevant threads.)

Paladins

A really fun and varied Overwatch style team shooter. It's technically very good, very responsive and snappy shooting and special move stuff, lots of variety to the 'heroes' and loadouts and it's incredibly good at getting you right in the thick of the action. It's also got a pretty short TTK for most heroes so you can build some really exciting streaks, and you feel great when you stay alive for more than a few minutes or so and you seem to have the advantage over the other team. I much prefer it to Overwatch which I played on both One X and have on the PS4 and which never really clicked for me. This is the first FPS I've truly loved since Titanfall 2.

Ikaruga

Until the recent re-release on Switch, I had never really clicked with Ikaruga. I've properly got into the bullet hell stuff this year and became pretty obsessed with Mushihimesama and Dodonpachi Daioujou and various emulated games on FB Alpha until my laptop basically melted (now I have no means til I can be arsed getting a new one, which I don't actually need) but Ikaruga didn't really do it for me. It doesn't have that overwhelming suffocating bullet herding escape and manipulation sensation which is what I love about the genre. It's more of a puzzle game and it feels like there's a correct way to play it and a shit way. And I found that a bit boring and grindy in concept. Fast forward to the Switch release and the ability to work on chapter 1 on the bog or in bed or while cooking or whatever and it's really hooked me. While there is an optimum way to play the game, it's just fun to learn that for myself and keep refining that one chapter. I'm still way way off being good but the more I play the more I can feel my brain syncing with the game's particular patterns and rhythms and strategies, and that is so satisfying to me. It is one I'll be playing for years to come.

Oscillations / Re: Stunningly good Movie Sound Tracks
« Last post by a duncandisorderly on Today at 09:44:53 AM »
another vote for (inevitably) vangelis' work on BR, both the music & the diegetic stuff.

I'm inordinately fond of the work M83 did for 'oblivion', whatever you might think of the flick itself (& I quite like it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWIXUxmN1vQ
Oscillations / Re: MBV getting my hopes up
« Last post by a duncandisorderly on Today at 09:36:02 AM »
My Duncan Bannatyne.

Sorry, popped into my head.

kevin bloody shields.

likewise.
Deeper Into Movies / Re: Star Wars: Young Han Solo
« Last post by Shameless Custard on Today at 09:34:16 AM »
They'll pump out at least one more spin-off film, as they need a boxset called "Star Wars Spin-offs Trilogy"
Oscillations / Re: Stunningly good Movie Sound Tracks
« Last post by jobotic on Today at 09:31:47 AM »
The opener to Cannibal Holocaust is surprisingly lovely. I've never seen it or heard the rest though.

https://youtu.be/kf1Vt6r-sj8
Deeper Into Movies / Re: Plot Holes That are a Step Too Far.
« Last post by a duncandisorderly on Today at 09:30:51 AM »
Yes and yes.  When he saw the effects tests he gave Scott and the production his full blessing.

"full"? citation please. notoriously paranoid & curmudgeonly, & possibly only slightly more approachable than harlan ellison regarding screen treatments...

you still haven't convinced me that scott knew what he was doing with the story or the characters, but your reading of the unicorn element is making me think that there might be a layer to the story that scott didn't uncover for us. his tone.. the way he responds to questions about the flick in the various interviews about the various versions of it... doesn't suggest to me that he was aware of the various ways the evidence can be read. now I'll have to watch the damn thing again. which cut, though?
Oscillations / Re: Ed Sheeran nearly shits himself on stage, twice
« Last post by thraxx on Today at 09:29:40 AM »

I hope forgot to turn off his radio mike while he was on the throne.
General Bullshit / Re: Real Recognise Real
« Last post by Replies From View on Today at 09:28:32 AM »
Is it like when you see a jackdaw mooching around in the park and it looks at you right in the eyes, and you both connect for that moment acknowledging each other's existence and mortality before it fucks off forever?

I ask because I reckon that does count.
Picture Box / Re: World Cup 2018 it are in Russians #2
« Last post by bgmnts on Today at 09:28:26 AM »
God I hope South Korea beat Germany somehow.
Picture Box / Re: World Cup 2018 it are in Russians #2
« Last post by jobotic on Today at 09:27:58 AM »
I thought it was pronounced crows.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10