Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:09:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Million Dollar Extreme Presents World Peace (Adult Swim live action)

Started by Retinend, August 23, 2016, 05:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on November 16, 2018, 02:03:11 PM
Actually, my curiosity for the anti-semitic sketch you mentioned made me watch this finale and exposed me to material by MDE. The sketch was not in it. If it is "Jews Rock!", it's apparently in the second episode. It was an immensely unfunny experience. It's always the same pattern. They take something that's supposed be PC and liberal, and show (or more accurately tell) it is crazy and ridiculous, using the style of Tim & Eric shows. It's not comedy, it's finger-pointing.

Ah OK, 2nd ep. Still, it no doubt influenced the decision to can it. There's a lot of dreadfully unfunny stuff in there. I don't think they're all bereft of humour whatsoever, but they clearly lack the skills required to translate it into comedy, or make a coherent satirical point which isn't rooted in totally blinkered cuntery. It comes across as half-baked teenager bedroom flight of fancy and will only age badly. Really badly.

ajsmith2

The 100 episodes claim sounds like exactly like the kind of coked up 'we're gonna make you boys stars' manager speak that Hyde would usually be contemptuous of. Have AS ever made 100 episodes of anything?

I'm not convinced that Hyde or the interviewer realise that 'I Am A Cuck' is a parody of a Simon and Garfunkel classic. I know that doesn't make it any more clever or satirical, but I think having that awareness allows you to access the spirit it was made in. The humour is in inverting S and G's earnest declaration of self reliance into someone (Tim) ludicrously proudly singing about all the lame, 'weak' things that alt right have called him. I can't imagine what it would sound like to someone who isn't aware of that reference and thinks it's an original composition: probably as bad as they think they've got it pegged as.

Cumberlatch

'Jews Rock' isn't even that bad - relatively. Can't believe Adult Swim actually funded this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CC5N1_bZsQ

Retinend

"Jews Rock", MDE's echo of Wonder Showzen's classic "Slaves", was immediately suspected by alt-right fans ("the Daily Shoah") to have been conceived as "Jews Rule", but bowdlerised by an antagonistic production staff. Given the sketch "Thank You White People" posted a couple of times already, it is not hard to imagine that this was the case. This sketch gives you the impression that, pre-bowdlerisation, the show would have been more straightforward in propagandising alt-right messages. It is probably the clearest statement of intent in the whole show.

That said, even in this relatively clear statement of racist intent, I feel like they have an ingrained habit of second-guessing themselves and muddying the waters: why on earth does Hyde say "you're white" to the jewish caricature as he descends in the final seconds of the sketch? Why does Hyde's delivery seem so passive aggressive in saying that he is a "stupid goy", if the line is supposed to represent the tragic naivete of the white man? Why does the jewish caricature do nothing to cause the disaster if he is supposed to be manipulating the "stupid goy"?  Nothing is simple with World Peace, and the documentarian in fact makes a meal out of this, mistaking muddle-headedness for artistic nuance, and thankful for the grist for his mill.

Lazzo is a bit of an enigma if this sketch was truly his favourite: "Mike Lazzo's favorite sketch no bullshit. He laughed his motherfucking head off over this one." - Sam Hyde, in the YouTube comments. Did he love the provocativeness, concur with the sincere racist message, or did he merely laugh harder than normal since - for a change - there was some signal in the static in one of their sketches?

Also in the YouTube comments: "Can u guess why this was not on TV?" - I suppose the alt-right considers this sketch light teasing of minorities that should not be beyond the pale of what is allowed within artistic expression. And perhaps it shouldn't be, but the response for this query we are encouraged to come to is not "it was beyond the pale of public opinion" punkt, but that "it was beyond the pale of public opinion... which is controlled, top-down, by perfidious, omnipotent jews." This is the truly objectionable part of the debacle: that the erratic bridge-burning of Hyde, entirely a shitshow of his own creation, is then used by himself to support the content of anti-semitic conspiracy theories, which, furthermore, he has seemingly long held, and cannot be said to have been provoked in the first place by his boycotting by certain jewish people.

Quote from: Retinend on November 16, 2018, 11:06:54 PM
Lazzo is a bit of an enigma if this sketch was truly his favourite: "Mike Lazzo's favorite sketch no bullshit. He laughed his motherfucking head off over this one." - Sam Hyde, in the YouTube comments. Did he love the provocativeness, concur with the sincere racist message, or did he merely laugh harder than normal since - for a change - there was some signal in the static in one of their sketches?

Well, I hardly trust anything Sam Hyde says so I take that stuff and the 100 episodes thing with the grain of salt, it feels a little throwing Lazzo under the bus "He liked this racist sketch!"- but clearly Lazzo saw something in them in the first place which doesn't look well on him, but from what I've read it probably would've been the provocativeness.

The annoying thing about World Peace is there some scratches of good ideas, setting a sketch show in a "post-apocalyptic nightmare world" which the show was supposedly supposed to be, sure you can make that work (according to the press release this is what it was supposed to be but it didn't commit to it at all - there was not much of a sense of cohesion in any of it besides the alrightness and the un-PC stuff)

, the editing ,the use of the camera and the graphics  - they looked cool - the final sketch transitioning into a sort of music video, that's cool - it's just all so bogged down by everything else - if these guys just worked behind the scenes on something and not have any actual effect creatively, writing or acting - you could make something there.

Blumf

Quote from: ajsmith2 on November 16, 2018, 04:07:09 PM
Have AS ever made 100 episodes of anything?

Aqua Teen Hunger Force, but the episodes were too short, so it doesn't count. Also, Space Ghost

Speaking of far right comedy, have any of you seen Murdoch Murdoch? Makes MDE seem like SJW soy-boys.

BritishHobo

Just watched an episode of Murdoch Murdoch. Are there any with jokes in?

Blumf

They do a good piss-take of Jordan Peterson, but... er... no.

Retinend

update - Sam Hyde's post-Adult Swim career has been very strange. He seems to be touring the country talking to his gangly fans and filming their conversations as a "podcast" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILTR3DKFfws

He's adored by these people. They treat him like the messiah.

more recently, here he is giving manly masculine advice about love and getting one of those good girls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4GPdIb5nh4

Retinend

The fans just won't let it lie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzdEgq9nows

It's inaccurate at just about every level. It poo-poos the notion that it was an alt-right show, and even goes so far as to say that its fans are apolitical, even though the whole video is an uncomfortably earnest political screed against PC, cowardly leftists and glorifying the "upward trend to social conservatism" in a life-draining monotone. It does make the show look good though - building up the myth of a show that delivered on its crazy visuals rather than being utterly hollow and mirthless at its core, not to mention highly sinister.

Sin Agog

My youtube recommendations list has been inundated with makeup tutorials ever since I left myself signed in on my teenage cousin's laptop shortly before the lockdown.  I refuse to jeopardise it any further by clicking on any Sam Hyde-related link and suddenly having my feed be this bizarre melange of how to make women with the perfect glittery eyeliner respect you by donning a hunting rifle on your first date.

sambwel

Quote from: Retinend on May 29, 2020, 08:21:54 PM
It poo-poos the notion that it was an alt-right show, and even goes so far as to say that its fans are apolitical,

This is basically the same script they always follow as a recruitment method - disclaim any white supremacist or even mildly right-wing subtext to something like MDE or 4chan pepe memes or whatever, and segue into a rant against SJWs calling everyone nazis because they want to control everything, try and get people onside because they're upset on what they think is a free speech principle, and once they're sufficiently softened up, privately hit em with the "actually it really is all the Jews' fault" routine. And hey, if they think the wildly unfunny and derivative World Peace is that great of a recruitment tool, let em die up on that hill, I say.

marquis_de_sad

"Charls Carrol, a discount Patrick Bateman with Aspergers". If you were going to armchair diagnose the man with anything, surely it would be schizophrenia?

"MDE was apolitical"
Makes an 8 minute video whining about liberals.

Retinend

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on May 30, 2020, 03:53:33 AM
"Charls Carrol, a discount Patrick Bateman with Aspergers". If you were going to armchair diagnose the man with anything, surely it would be schizophrenia

Oh yeah that was definitely what he thought he was saying.

The whole script is a mess, with all kinds of questionable word choices like this. To address them would be like work, so I'll forgo the labour (I do a lot of proof reading part time) though kinda tempting. Come to think of it, this guy is probably not that old... it's difficult to tell.

Quote from: sambwel on May 30, 2020, 03:12:47 AMAnd hey, if they think the wildly unfunny and derivative World Peace is that great of a recruitment tool, let em die up on that hill, I say.

Good point.

Retinend