Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:30:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Million Dollar Extreme Presents World Peace (Adult Swim live action)

Started by Retinend, August 23, 2016, 05:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: BritishHobo on September 23, 2017, 03:18:27 PM
This is how someone describe the mother sketch when it was first posted here years ago. As if it was some transcendent piece of comedy that busted through the fourth wall, broke the boundaries of comedy sketches, and became something strange and unique and memorable. And then it just turned out to be some fratboys dressed like high school kids tossing sub-Deadpool 'you look like [blank] crossed with [blank]' mad-lib insults at some women.

It's literally just a retread of the Moms skit. One of those performances where they're all so impressed/amused by their own comments that the audience reaction hardly seems to matter.

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on September 23, 2017, 10:44:47 AM
Are "How many of your friends died of alcoholism?" or "You look like Anderson Cooper with AIDS" meant to be boffo laugh lines?  What exactly is it that appeals to you about this stuff?  Because - again, strictly on a comic level - I'm totally at a loss here.

They're being assholes to regular people! The regular people are upset because they made them upset through witless insults! Dontyagetit

It's stuff that appeals to misanthropic too-edgy-for-it 14 year olds on Reddit/4chan who don't realise the world isn't the internet and think political correctness is the worst problem facing the world right now.

Mobius

You're all too beta to get it the humour unfortunately. I should write something of substances for re-opening this can of worms but I can't muster up the energy at the moment. Sam has took a lot of shit yesterday for asking for more patreon / hatreon donations and the fans turned on him. He's since gave a response a couple of hours ago breaking down how exactly he's using the existing funding. Apparently got some office space, a few staff on the payroll for a mobile or indie game plus other projects. One of the things was quite clear about was not to expect a season two of World Peace because it cost a million dollars for Adult Swim to produce. Television is expensive so that's not surprising.

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on September 24, 2017, 07:30:45 AM
Oh, fuck off.

I've made an enemy for life here haven't I? Fifteen years on CaB and I've finally been told to fuck off by someone. Maybe I'm only just noticing it but the atmosphere on this forum hasn't half changed. I just saw someone get called a closet racist for seemingly nothing.

McChesney Duntz

No, not an enemy. There are real battles to be fought and true threats to humanity and decency to contend with; mixing it up with lazy provocateurs on message boards is merely an exercise (in futility, true, but it still makes the muscles ache). That "fuck off" was pure weariness. I won't deny that MDE fascinates me, mostly because, like I said, I can't even find a way in to the vast majority of it as comedy. Theirs is a language I do not understand at all. Those of us who don't care for it have dissected their dislike rather articulately. I am honestly and sincerely curious if you, as a fan, are willing/able to do the same, without name calling or tired alt-right catchphrases. So, what do you think...?

McChesney Duntz

By the way...

Quote from: Hello! Replies Hidden on September 24, 2017, 07:41:31 AMMaybe I'm only just noticing it but the atmosphere on this forum hasn't half changed.

...that's funny. Yeah, it's been all sunshine and lollipops around here until just now...

marquis_de_sad

I like some of Sam Hyde's work but MDE is a bit too hipster for me. However, he's one of the most thin-skinned people in comedy and has let his politics take over his life, which apart from anything else is very boring.

BritishHobo

It's one of my favourite lovely ironies that the loudest and biggest opponents of 'political correctness' and 'social justice' reveal themselves so quickly to be the most thin-skinned and easily-offended.

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on September 24, 2017, 08:18:15 AM
I am honestly and sincerely curious if you, as a fan, are willing/able to do the same, without name calling or tired alt-right catchphrases. So, what do you think...?

Sorry, I'm not engaging with anyone who's already told me to fuck off and comes off extremely hostile. You've lost that privilege.

spamwangler

Yea i think thin skinned is a good word to describe the MDE stuff, it seems to presume that everyones going to be really offended by the material within, so much so that its already throwing out counter arguments trying to defend its-self.
    It then mistakenly assumes its being told to fuck off because people have dropped their monacle in their drink in shock rather than because theyve actually seen a lot of this edgy stuff before (especially on a forum like this one, where people have been brought up on peter cook and dudley more, jerry sadowitz, chris morris and various others who have been dealing with political correctness, ambiguous irony and offense in a comedic content just as head on as anything MDE or sam hyde has thought up)

It makes me think of that episode of the simpsons where barts in a boyband-

its so convinced of its own transgressive power, but its only references seem to be adult swim and tim and eric, in taunting its detractors for being 'too beta' or for not being able to take the edginess of it, its fans are revealing their own parochial naivety;
theres been plenty of materials dealing with all the same subject matter as MDE has just as strongly, but more funnily and more interestingly for ever, so for most comedy fans MDE is a bit like being told that that Goosebumps/linkin park/the live action film of scooby doo are too extreme and horrifying for you to possibly understand by a red faced teenager making a squealing noise like a boiling kettle, who then mistakenly reads your irritation with his tantrum as proof that some sort of iconic television show has been made.

ill say this about it tho - it looks great, the over saturated digital weirdness of it has an interesting nauseating aesthetic, and it could be read as an interesting thermometer in the butt of a certain kind of impotent frustrated internet-man, but then those guys are constantly video-blogging their every spare moment, so maybe thats allready a thing that exists out there in a less stylized form

spamwangler

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on September 24, 2017, 08:40:20 AM
I like some of Sam Hyde's work but MDE is a bit too hipster for me. However, he's one of the most thin-skinned people in comedy and has let his politics take over his life, which apart from anything else is very boring.

in some ways i wish they were more like hipsters; most hipsters ive met are really keen to have a real in depth understanding of their interests/practices, - so your hipster cyclist can strip his fixed gear bike down, re grease it and re-assemble it like a soilder, your hipster DJ has to spend ages crate digging a particular niche music, and so on

where as these guys come across as if theyve never really watched much comedy apart from adult swim, - theyve got all of the pride and knowing-ness of a hipster without any particular field of expertise, all of the millenial breezyness of a normcore post-taste explorer, but with out any of the spirit of curiosity, or promiscuousness of someone trying to find new things, it makes for a bit of a sad, stagnant watch in that configuration

BritishHobo

Quote from: Hello! Replies Hidden on September 24, 2017, 10:59:22 AM

See there's someone who's written a reasoned and thoughtful analysis of why they don't think it's very good, taking into account the history of political incorrectness in comedy, and there's you just going YAWN instead of actually engaging with them and explaining why you disagree and think it IS good.

I suspect Cook'd and Bomb'd hasn't changed, so much as you just aren't taking disagreement on the show very well. I've seen this forum be far more fucking vicious and unapologetic in decades-old threads than in this.

Petey Pate

Quote from: spamwangler on September 24, 2017, 11:29:00 AMwhere as these guys come across as if theyve never really watched much comedy apart from adult swim, - theyve got all of the pride and knowing-ness of a hipster without any particular field of expertise, all of the millenial breezyness of a normcore post-taste explorer, but with out any of the spirit of curiosity, or promiscuousness of someone trying to find new things, it makes for a bit of a sad, stagnant watch in that configuration

Asides from being unfunny, this is my main problem with most of MDE's stuff, how utterly joyless and mean-spirited it is.  As nihilistic as the comedy of Morris, PFFR, Tim and Eric, etc. may be, there's also a genuine love for the craft and there's no doubt that its creators main intentions are to produce a funny TV show.  With MDE being offensive and shocking is prioritised over any ambition to entertain an audience, and the result is tedious and dull.

madhair60

I've never watched Million Dollar Extreme, but it is definitely a pile of shit.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

With MDE, being able to aggressively talk/improvise extensively seems to be prioritised over actually saying anything amusing.

weaseldust

Quote from: Hello! Replies Hidden on September 23, 2017, 12:16:09 AM
Seriously fuck Adult Swim for cancelling this show and giving us more of Tim & Eric's washed up garbage.

The Dream Machine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb_wmChyqkg

Flight Instructor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UstKqbz-A9M

Toss It Project (Early Cut) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSIjwMIF5cg

i just watched these. didn't seem political at all except the third one sort of. the first one had a weird, sneery injoke atmosphere and the corpsing felt unjustified. ("get the ball, bud" with that half smile was annoying. the sketch has just started and you're already laughing at yourself but i'm not even finding it funny yet.) and the flight instructor one...am i supposed to be laughing at the plane flipping around and stuff? i just don't get it. i'd like to see a fan reaction to this show and find out which bits were meant to be funny.

Jay Praha

Hyde claimed World Peace got cancelled simply because he was a vocal Trump supporter. Since then he's given up pretending that hes not full-on Alt-right, and MDEs Twitter is a travesty. If I was Nick or Charls Id be pretty angry that Hydes hijacked MDE social media to spout his nonsense.

I enjoyed World Peace a fair bit, and the majority of the actual show isn't very political. The BuzzFeed article which led to its cancellation is full of lies and half-truths. However I fully understand why Adult Swim wanted to part company with Hyde. In this instance I don't buy the 'free speech' argument when Hyde openly encouraged negative attention online.

Quote from: spamwangler on September 24, 2017, 11:29:00 AM
in some ways i wish they were more like hipsters; most hipsters ive met are really keen to have a real in depth understanding of their interests/practices, - so your hipster cyclist can strip his fixed gear bike down, re grease it and re-assemble it like a soilder, your hipster DJ has to spend ages crate digging a particular niche music, and so on

where as these guys come across as if theyve never really watched much comedy apart from adult swim, - theyve got all of the pride and knowing-ness of a hipster without any particular field of expertise, all of the millenial breezyness of a normcore post-taste explorer, but with out any of the spirit of curiosity, or promiscuousness of someone trying to find new things, it makes for a bit of a sad, stagnant watch in that configuration

This is incorrect. Know for fact they're pretty well-versed in comedy beyond Adult Swim. I've heard them talk about Kids in the Hall, Mitchell & Webb, Limmy amongst others.

spamwangler

Quote from: Jay Praha on September 24, 2017, 08:29:49 PM
This is incorrect. Know for fact they're pretty well-versed in comedy beyond Adult Swim. I've heard them talk about Kids in the Hall, Mitchell & Webb, Limmy amongst others.

That's a fair point, I made a bit of a presumption there.

I would maintain that their work fails to show a much understanding of these influences and this is responsible for alot of the failings of their work, but that's more just my opinion rather than the fake news you rightly pointed out there.

amnesiac

Quote from: Retinend on August 23, 2016, 05:05:07 PM
This is Sam Hyde and co's first show, 3 10-minute shows in out of 6. Sam Hyde is best known for this viral video making fun of the TED talks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yFhR1fKWG0

I'm surprised CaB hasn't picked up on this yet since it's definitely a comedy show self-consciously alienating to the average comedy fan; a bit like Awesome Show or PFFR, but more stylized than either and almost completely cryptic.

I could tease out some serious themes from the first two episodes, somewhat subversive in nature (anti-"progressive"), but it would be dull to discuss, since the show is all style over comedy substance. The performances themselves are funny, but it's plastered over with so much cryptic shit that it comes off more like performance art than satire. What did you think?

Sorry haven't read the whole thread yet but this video absolutely killed me. I watched it on the weekend and still think about it. The (obviously brilliant) 'Albert Einstein' bit but also phrases like 'trash economy' keep making me crack up at random points in the day. Really, really good, and also for being a bit shit, it's not some polished parody thing, he's quite quite shit.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: amnesiac on September 26, 2017, 04:41:44 PM
Sorry haven't read the whole thread yet but this video absolutely killed me. I watched it on the weekend and still think about it. The (obviously brilliant) 'Albert Einstein' bit but also phrases like 'trash economy' keep making me crack up at random points in the day. Really, really good, and also for being a bit shit, it's not some polished parody thing, he's quite quite shit.

This is also good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE_5Y9IKCk0

a peepee tipi

See, the only thing MDE-related that has made me laugh is the TedX talk, but even then it was mainly for a few lines like the bit about the 9/11 hijackers. The smash cut to "trash economy" while he's fumbling around got a laugh too. Not worth the 20 minutes I thought, though I wish it were and it appears to be so for some. It could very well just be an inability to appreciate it on my part, but I've seen similar things done much better on Impractical Jokers for fuck's sake (hopefully this is indicative of just how open I am when it comes to humor, it makes me laugh and that's the crux of this whole thing). I feel like the only reason the TedX talk is so popular within the core fanbase, as shit as those events are, is because it was interrupting a supposed liberal safe space. If they'd used World Peace to tell some fucking jokes once in a while, I'd be a bit more sympathetic. Fuck everything else, just fucking be funny

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: a peepee tipi on September 26, 2017, 08:36:05 PM
Fuck everything else, just fucking be funny

This is the bottom line, as far as I'm concerned. If there's anything that irks me more than alt-righteous/neo-fascist ideologues, it's bad comedy. Combining the two is something of a perfect storm.

Skip Bittman

Seems like it's kind of ran it's course, anyway. His only future is being one of those rambling youtube streamers with a patreon and a drug problem, bitching about black people or whatever the outrage of the week is. As long as it's black. Or brownish. Or womany. That's a good one.

Maybe Steve Bannon and the Mercers can fund him and he can be a real crap fusion of James O'Keefe and Andy Kaufman. Or perhaps a buddy comedy with Roger Stone where they play two right-wing detectives investigating sex clubs in Florida? Sam Hyde, star of "Cumstain" has a suitable ring to it.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Sam Hyde has sunk to even lower depths.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ishmaeldaro/reddit-sam-hyde-million-dollar-extreme-ban

The article links to a story published in the L.A. Times (which can't currently be reached from EU, an issue you won't have after March 2019) but it's summed up in his Wikipedia entry:

QuoteIn 2017, Hyde reportedly pledged $5,000 towards the legal defense fund of Andrew Anglin, the founder and editor of white supremacist website The Daily Stormer. The Southern Poverty Law Center sued Anglin for allegedly organizing a "troll storm" against a Jewish woman in Montana. When Matt Pearce of the Los Angeles Times questioned Hyde about the donation, Hyde asked Pearce if he was Jewish and went on to say that $5,000 was "nothing" to him. Hyde also stated: "Don't worry so much about money. Worry about if people start deciding to kill reporters. That's a quote. For the reason why, you can say I want reporters to know I make more money than them, especially Matt Pearce."

Here's the picture of him and hacker Andrew "weev" Auernheimer doing the Nazi salute.

It may look sarcastic, but Auernheimer (on the left) has genuine affinities to Nazism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weev