Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:37:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Prey (2017)

Started by Blue Jam, May 01, 2017, 01:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Gregory

I never did much Typhon-ing.  Got the mimic objects power but otherwise put all my resources into the Q-Beam and mobility upgrades.

Curious as to how it'll play if I replay with more of a plan.

Famous Mortimer

Just got the Q-Beam, and took down my first big fella. After dying...10 times? Took me a while to figure out the tactic.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 23, 2022, 02:59:07 PMI'm having fun with it, but perhaps it's my mindset while playing, but I assume there's a way past everything, and I've just found my first Technopath. It seems a little on the tough side at the moment, so maybe back the other way for a bit.

Was it in

Spoiler alert
the Shuttle Bay?
[close]

...because if so I also found that one early in the game and thought nope, too tough for me, I guess I need to come back later.

Famous Mortimer

I'm rather enjoying the difficulty curve (those Technopaths are still a bit of a fucker, though). I think, ultimately, I'm just not very good at games, but I have a nice time anyway.

Famous Mortimer

I presume I'm getting fairly close to the end? Got full upgrades on a few weapons and only the most expensive handful of upgrades left to collect (still not touched the "dark" upgrades or whatever they're called).

The "Mooncrash" DLC seems like it's going to be fun, too, and even new game plus, as there's lots of doors I never bothered with that I can now rip open.

Mister Six

Mooncrash is great. It's a different game using the same engine. Very tough at first, but rewarding as you learn the best routes, little secrets etc.

Famous Mortimer

33 hours into "Prey", and I just learned you can "sprint" when you're spacewalking. Wow, would that knowledge have made a few earlier missions easier - there's one where you have to mess with a satellite, and I ended up just working out where it was going to go and waiting for it, as I couldn't catch it at whatever low speed just pressing forward is. What a gamer I am!

Blue Jam

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 10, 2022, 01:50:49 PM33 hours into "Prey", and I just learned you can "sprint" when you're spacewalking. Wow, would that knowledge have made a few earlier missions easier - there's one where you have to mess with a satellite, and I ended up just working out where it was going to go and waiting for it, as I couldn't catch it at whatever low speed just pressing forward is. What a gamer I am!

I really hope you've figured out how to hit the brakes! Don't want to crack your helmet...

The spacewalk mechanics in this are lovely aren't they? So much smoother than in Hardspace Shipbreaker, Prey spoiled that game for me. Love the spacewalk soundtrack too!

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Blue Jam on December 10, 2022, 02:10:43 PMI really hope you've figured out how to hit the brakes! Don't want to crack your helmet...

The spacewalk mechanics in this are lovely aren't they? So much smoother than in Hardspace Shipbreaker, Prey spoiled that game for me. Love the spacewalk soundtrack too!
Indeed, it was nice just pottering about.

I finished, but it did feel like the end got a bit buggy. In the Arboretum, every now and again those military robots would fire at me from a glitched position inside the scenery / under the ground, which was a pisser. Then, I saved that Dahl fella, dragged him to the med-bay, and...nothing. "Await further instructions from Igwe", the game told me, but Igwe gave me no further instructions. I picked the null-wave transmitter ending, partly because I didn't want to blow the place up because all the people I'd spent the last 35 hours saving were still on the station.

According to the end-game stats, I let three people die. I think I'll give it another go and try and save everybody (with new game+, so I can have some fun).

Blue Jam

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 10, 2022, 05:56:17 PMThen, I saved that Dahl fella, dragged him to the med-bay, and...nothing. "Await further instructions from Igwe", the game told me, but Igwe gave me no further instructions. I picked the null-wave transmitter ending, partly because I didn't want to blow the place up because all the people I'd spent the last 35 hours saving were still on the station.

According to the end-game stats, I let three people die. I think I'll give it another go and try and save everybody (with new game+, so I can have some fun).

Did you kill Igwe?

Killing everyone in this game is actually much harder than killing no-one, think that's the last achievement I unlocked.

Pink Gregory

Would you describe not saving Igwe as killing him?

Blue Jam

Quote from: Pink Gregory on December 10, 2022, 06:33:40 PMWould you describe not saving Igwe as killing him?

If you don't save him he can't send you instructions... and yes, I think it counts for the Kill All Humans achievement if you just let him die.

You need to rescue him then shoot him if you want the Awkward Ride Home achievement:

Spoiler alert
Let him remove Dahl's neuromod and then shoot him
[close]

I think I once shot him because his humming was getting on my nerves.

Pink Gregory

I saved everyone on the first playthrough because I'm boring.  Not really my thing to go out of my way to deliberately mess with the plot or characters in these kind of games, and it kind of feels like saving people is usually rewarded by doing a bit of extra gameplay?

Blue Jam

In this game killing people actually rewards you with a bit of extra gameplay! You also get a different ending for being a murdering psychopath...

Might sack off Deathloop and do another playthrough of Prey...

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Blue Jam on December 10, 2022, 06:42:33 PMIn this game killing people actually rewards you with a bit of extra gameplay! You also get a different ending for being a murdering psychopath...

Might sack off Deathloop and do another playthrough of Prey...

See I thought teaming up with Alex was kind of implied to be kind of a bad ending but it was more ambiguous than I was expecting

Blue Jam

What post-credits ending did you get?

Pink Gregory

Spoiler alert
all the droid crew intact, took Alex's hand as opposed to killing them
[close]

Blue Jam

Quote from: Pink Gregory on December 10, 2022, 07:10:59 PM
Spoiler alert
all the droid crew intact, took Alex's hand as opposed to killing them
[close]

Ah, so you know that Morgan

Spoiler alert
is actually a Typhon with a human empathy neuromod then
[close]

?

That's the nice ending, and if you want the best possible ending achievement you have to do a few other things like

Spoiler alert
spare the space nonce and fetch Igwe's stupid piano recording- just show maximum empathy
[close]

If you're a murdering psychopath something rather different happens.

Pink Gregory

Well there's a Typhon-the-fuck-out and no-Typhon run in my future so I guess I'm going to find out!

I sort of didn't commit to anything in my playthrough but I think first playthroughs always turn out that way.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Blue Jam on December 10, 2022, 06:23:38 PMDid you kill Igwe?

Killing everyone in this game is actually much harder than killing no-one, think that's the last achievement I unlocked.
No, he was sat in my office the last time I saw him, and he asked me to take the unconscious fella to the med-bay. I did so, and then nothing. I might try again from a slightly earlier save and see what happens.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Pink Gregory on December 10, 2022, 07:18:32 PMWell there's a Typhon-the-fuck-out and no-Typhon run in my future so I guess I'm going to find out!
I did no-Typhons (I presume you meant none of the naughty Neuromods) and it was...well, my only experience of it, so I don't know.

I just started New Game + and realised I was just playing it the same way. Seems a bit pointless. I'll give Mooncrash a go.

Pink Gregory

Yeah if I have one criticism they don't make not having Typhon material inside you that much of an interesting choice.  What they do manage to do correctly is set the threshold for e.g. security systems picking it up quite low, so if you want your Typhon powers to feel substantial you do have to commit, but there aren't really.many consequences for doing or not doing it.

At least Dishonored had high/low chaos, I'm surprised that they didn't do something similar.

Inspector Norse

Keep meaning to post on this thread because I've also been playing this recently (bought it more or less when it came out, played the intro bit but I think something else came out that meant it got sidelined, then I never really got back round to it before now) and really enjoying it.
One criticism I'd make, though, is that now I'm heading towards the endgame (at least I think I am, I've cleared all the areas and have about four different quest options that all seem fairly final, though I'm sure there will be a twist or trouble along the way) I feel like it's all got a bit samey. Going back to areas I've already completed and cleared just to fetch a keycard or something, with the game just occasionally spawning more of the same enemies I've long since mastered, the only thing I'm really having any issues with is making sure I have enough ammo, given that I've got this far pretty much without using any Typhon powers except combat focus.

Also the Nightmare is pretty annoying, because the easiest way to evade it is just to go straight back out the area door meaning I have to sit through loading times back and forth and the 3-minute wait for it to disappear again. Reading online it seems a quest is supposed to trigger involving getting an audio recording that makes them fuck off immediately, but that's not happened for me yet.

Otherwise it's a really smartly-plotted and detailed game and is just very smooth and enjoyable to play.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Inspector Norse on December 11, 2022, 05:45:12 PMAlso the Nightmare is pretty annoying, because the easiest way to evade it is just to go straight back out the area door meaning I have to sit through loading times back and forth and the 3-minute wait for it to disappear again. Reading online it seems a quest is supposed to trigger involving getting an audio recording that makes them fuck off immediately, but that's not happened for me yet.
I also did that, but the first time I met the Nightmare I hid in a closet on the same level (Crew Quarters, I think) with the Nightmare outside, unable to get in or fire stuff at me. The quest triggered after that, I believe. Perhaps you need to legitimately survive an encounter once to get that quest?

Inspector Norse

Think I did do something like that on one occasion, dived into a nearby grav lift and hid in a med bay on the floor above or something....

bgmnts

Definitely going to do a second run of this with all the powers, even though I don't think that'll be as fun as tech. I still have to complete Mooncrash!