Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:41:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

If I'm honest, I quite liked B.A Robertson's songs at the time for just being silly novelty pop. "Bang Bang" had a great melody and when you're twelve years old, "He Knocked It Off" is just a daft throwaway comedy single.

Yes, he looked like Brian May if he had travelled through one of my telepods, and a shire horse had managed to slip in during the process. And yes, his lyrics are cringeworthy but other than that, I'm fairly ambivalent. It basically boils down to the fact that he was once very condescending to Annabella Lwin from Bowwowwow in 1981 on some pop show nobody remembers watching at the time but have seen it several times since on various C5 list shows.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 29, 2018, 05:35:49 PM
When Bis were the first unsigned band to perform on TOTP?

'Unsigned' is a movable feast, obviously, but weren't S*M*A*S*H unsigned when they performed Shame?

#fake edit# S*M*A*S*H were the first band to appear on TotP without releasing a single - their debut EP was in the Album Charts.

#further fake edit# "Much was made at the time about them being the first 'unsigned' band to [appear on TotP], when in reality dozens of bands — especially in the late 1970s and in the cases of 'novelty' acts — had appeared on the show with singles released on labels they either had no formal contract with other than as a distributor or, as with Bis, agreements signed on a single by single basis."

gilbertharding

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 31, 2018, 02:01:00 PM
If I'm honest, I quite liked B.A Robertson's songs at the time for just being silly novelty pop. "Bang Bang" had a great melody and when you're twelve years old, "He Knocked It Off" is just a daft throwaway comedy single.

Also wrote Wired for Sound and Carrie (Doesn't Live Here Anymore). I'm not sure if that's the case for the defence or the prosecution.

Not really sure how condescending he was towards Annabella Lwin. She can't have gone off the deep end for no reason at all, can she?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: gilbertharding on August 31, 2018, 03:40:57 PM
Also wrote Wired for Sound and Carrie (Doesn't Live Here Anymore). I'm not sure if that's the case for the defence or the prosecution.

Not really sure how condescending he was towards Annabella Lwin. She can't have gone off the deep end for no reason at all, can she?

Who knows? Maybe she was sniffy to him in the Green Room an hour earlier?

DrGreggles

Lost it at the suggestion of a 'BUMMERDOG SAY RELAX' t-shirt.
Need to wait until I get home before resuming - out of respect for fellow road users.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 31, 2018, 06:53:17 PM
Who knows? Maybe she was sniffy to him in the Green Room an hour earlier?

I meant to say she *could* have gone off the deep end for no reason... like you say, who knows?

non capisco

Not listened to the whole three hours yet but Taylor's description of Roland Gift from the Fine Young Cannibals sounding like 'a boiled lamb' is absolutely perfect.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I can understand why the epic length of these podcasts is a problem for some people - not people in this thread, but I've seen some criticism on Twitter - but I like the fact that the preamble, in which they tell stories from their lives, now lasts for about 40 minutes.

I really enjoy hearing about their schooldays and adolescent woes. It doesn't come across as tediously self-indulgent, as they're all such nice, funny, interesting people.

non capisco

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 31, 2018, 09:25:33 PM
I can understand why the epic length of these podcasts is a problem for some people - not people in this thread, but I've seen some criticism on Twitter - but I like the fact that the preamble, in which they tell stories from their lives, now lasts for about 40 minutes.

I really enjoy hearing about their schooldays and adolescent woes. It doesn't come across as tediously self-indulgent, as they're all such nice, funny, interesting people.

It's the only podcast I subscribe to when I actually feel a slight tinge of disappointment if I see a new episode is shy of three hours.

ALSO - absolutely loved Pricey's story about the weird tripod like structures being built in the sea at Brighton overnight.

Epic Bisto

The length isn't a problem at all. Missus. It's a bit like a particularly drawn out Scharpling & Wurster skit that allows you to get comfortable before going off in unexpected tangents. The long running time means nothing feels too rushed and there's plenty of time to make your case and to go into loads of wonderfully obscure details. In the case of the new episode, I was stunned that during the Stone Roses chat they didn't even mention the documentary with Gareth Evans.

Also, I'd like to add that the recent ep's finale left me in tears. What with this and finding the Norm MacDonald Mangrate compilation, my heart and lungs may give out over the weekend.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

As this is a Morris site, someone should point out to Simon Price that the "druggy school" skit was in Brass Eye not The Day Today.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Also I'd tell Simon I've spent the past 25 years reckoning he owes me for the 1st RATM album, which I bought because he gave it a good review.

justin_bennett

"A lolling tongue and something red and angry between his thighs"

Xmas No.1 - you heard it here first...

non capisco

The 'post credits' bits have been solid gold for about the last four episodes now.

Thoroughly enjoyed the New Kids On The Block evisceration. 'Ooh, have you heard about those New Kids On The Block? I saw them hangin' tough outside the Arndale Centre. One of them was eating a light bulb like it was an apple!"

DrGreggles

The Aaron Neville stuff was great too.

non capisco

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 01, 2018, 03:07:19 PM
The Aaron Neville stuff was great too.

"You wouldn't like me when I'm modest!"

Pricey really needs to give AR Kane another listen - they're fucking brilliant.

I have very, very vague memories of watching this episode as a clueless 8-your old (it may even have been a later repeat of that 'epochal' Roses/Mondays moment), and being bewildered by the Stone Roses - not because of their mind-blowing originality or that they were doing anything particularly radical, or even that the song was that good, just because they were so different and unfathomable to me personally, growing up on very busy, upbeat pop music that went out of it's way to sell itself to you. The Roses half-arsed shuffling, mumbled gibberish and odd clothing seemed genuinely different. In retrospect it was just my own complete obliviousness to anything outside the Top 40 world that gave them an air of undeserved strangeness. They did make an impression though.

In the days before instant access to any music you were vaguely interested in the press descriptions of music would help shape your initial impressions, these days I rarely bother reading about music that I'm not already familiar with. Seems relevant with the Roses as the descriptions in the press of them as streetwise outlaws treading the line between acid house, druggy oblivion and rock music was far more interesting than the fairly trad indie pish they mostly served up. You can't really do that anymore as people can immediately check out what bands sound like long before journalists have the chance to mythologise and 'shape' them.

"The chances of anything coming from MARRS are a million to one they said"

Got a genuine laugh out loud from me that did.

Brundle-Fly

I had another think about important TOTP episodes and have come to the conclusion that this was the most 'talked about in the playground' moment of my life. Still WTF brilliant.

Shame about the inane TOTP2 cunt captions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=END_WYdf8pw&frags=pl%2Cwn

gmoney

I just watched that muted with AR Kane's When You're Sad playing over it. It was perfectly in time and magical.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: gmoney on September 02, 2018, 11:18:01 PM
I just watched that muted with AR Kane's When You're Sad playing over it. It was perfectly in time and magical.

Fuck me, you're not wrong!!  Fabulous.

Altough, that AR Kane number is essentially Sonic Youth covering Carly Simon's You're So Vain

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 02, 2018, 10:52:38 PM
I had another think about important TOTP episodes and have come to the conclusion that this was the most 'talked about in the playground' moment of my life. Still WTF brilliant.

Shame about the inane TOTP2 cunt captions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=END_WYdf8pw&frags=pl%2Cwn

Indeed it was. Fantastic.

yesitsme

Oh Bummerdog you national treasure.

They should erect statues of him outside every park, playground and wooded area in the land.

A sort of Greyfriar's Boaby.

The Bummberdog song had me in stitches and I don't laugh at anything.  In my mind he's like Roobarb, if I knew how to do it I'd run the opening credit to Roobarb but with the word Bummerdog.

Do Bummerdogs still roam?  Can't recall the last time I saw some terrified child being accosted by one of these creatures.

Dr Rock

I enjoyed that one very much, with Simon Price saying everything I would've said, from remembering the Camden Falcon and Milk etc (I remember the lovely Simon Price too, if you like this Scene That Celebrated Itself, you might like Miki Berenyi's recent Twitters which is loads of personal photos from all over this time period), to liking the music of Happy Mondays but not the horrible Manchester clothes and haircuts, and thinking the then still awesome Prince was lowering himself with the Batman soundtrack. I was even thinking of how much better Shaun Ryder was as a vocalist than Ian Brown, even if no better at carrying a tune, then he said the same thing for the same reasons.

I'm going to say this in the TOTP's thread too - I fucking hate that TOTP's music by Paul Hardcastle, it causes me genuine pain. And it seemed to have stuck around for ages.

I remember one of New Kids Of The Block having a Bauhaus t-shirt too, but also figured it was some stylist having a laugh.

DrGreggles

It did remind me that I love that FYC song too.
Definitely my favourite of theirs.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 03, 2018, 10:19:14 AM
I remember one of New Kids Of The Block having a Bauhaus t-shirt too, but also figured it was some stylist having a laugh.

It just makes me want to see that clip of Martin Freeman having a go at Tim fucking Lovejoy over his Ramones T-shirt.
I think I can forgive Freeman anything after that.

EOLAN

Jenny Powell was a childhood crush of mine from the early to mid 90s. So I was getting rather defensive when they were rightly having a go at her.

DrGreggles

SteveDave

Quote from: EOLAN on September 03, 2018, 01:55:40 PM
Jenny Powell was a childhood crush of mine from the early to mid 90s. So I was getting rather defensive when they were rightly having a go at her.

I too had these defensive feelings for Jenny listening to this.