Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:59:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

David Byrne UK tour

Started by homesickalien, January 17, 2018, 06:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

It's a testament to how 7/10 this show is that the second run of gigs haven't sold out yet, when the first batch went like warmed-through cakes. It's the most 7/10 thing I think I've ever seen. Sevens across the board.

Like, it's by no means bad - I certainly had a lot of fun for about 70% of it - but really in terms of big stage productions it just wasn't that remarkable to watch. Most of it's fairly by the numbers and I'd say only about half the songs had me wowed by what was happening on the stage.

Go and see Dan Deacon instead. About 200% more fun and that's just one bloke.

Blinder Data

Unfortunately you're wrong. Saw it again at the Hydro, almost exactly the same show apart from Road to Nowhere, still amazing stuff. The band were tight as fuck and looked like they were having a ball.

RE: selling out, I'd be surprised if David Byrne and bizarro support act Benjamin Clementine filled out arenas. Even so there must have been six or seven thousand guys and gals grooving away on a Monday night in Glasgow, which is respectable.

CaledonianGonzo

Aye. I thought it was incredible.  There's a 4 song stretch of new songs that could be broken up a bit, but otherwise it slapped.

The Hydro was way busier than I expected.

Blinder Data

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on October 25, 2018, 09:37:31 PM
Aye. I thought it was incredible.  There's a 4 song stretch of new songs that could be broken up a bit, but otherwise it slapped.

The Hydro was way busier than I expected.

Yes! This is the standard feedback I've heard so it's intriguing to read tepid reviews on here. I don't want to say "maybe it's a London audience thing", but...

I plucked the six or seven figure from my behind. Uppermost tier was closed and it wasn't full but still felt lively.

non capisco

Quote from: Blinder Data on October 25, 2018, 10:16:17 PM
Yes! This is the standard feedback I've heard so it's intriguing to read tepid reviews on here. I don't want to say "maybe it's a London audience thing", but...

GORRRRRR BLOIMEY! OI TAKE GREAT OFFENCE AT THAT, GAWD LUVADUCK!

I don't want to let a picture be painted of me as some kind of "London audience" stereotype, thank you very much. When the music grabs me I go for it, me old sahn. Me weary old London knees start bobbing up and dahn and soon enough I even unfold me lucky charms (arms) and relax me natural sneer. Sometimes when the song ends if it's been really good I even clap me Pigling Blands ('aaaands!)

BUT IF YOU PLAY A PONY OLD SONG YOU'VE WRITTEN WIV NORMAN COOK ABOUT YER FACKIN FEET YOU'VE LOST ME, SUNSHINE! AND YOUR OTHER NEW SONGS SOUND LIKE SOMEFINK AHT OF THE FACKING LION KING! I ZIMBRA? I SIMBA, MORE LOIKE!

Harry Badger

Going to the Cardiff gig on Saturday after working all day. Am going to unilaterally end my sober October early.