Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:17:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Smart man DESTROY Cathy Newman on her own show

Started by ajsmith2, March 10, 2018, 11:22:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petey Pate

Bhazor

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on March 14, 2018, 07:10:08 PM
I don't think he's saying that. Seems to me he's having a pop at the 'have it all' culture (unique to the West) which doesn't appear to have made anyone much happier.

Yeah, when you get down to it has the ability to go to university or marry your same sex partner really made anyone happier? I mean really has it?

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on March 14, 2018, 07:10:08 PM

The fantastic Camile Paglia was doing the same thing back in the 90s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIomA2MQNI4

Now I nothing of Pagila outside of that video. But that video was fucking shocking. The same bizarre ahistorical bullshit claims Peterson is so fond of ("Brick houses only exist because men, if it was women we'd still be in caves" "In the time of Romulus and Remus") back biting "I'm the only real feminist" and some pretty horrible dismissals such as "I eat what I like and therefore bulimia doesn't exist" which comes uncannily close to Katie Hopkin's obesity "experiment". All in the first 15 minutes.

The fact the top comment is from Sadman of Accunt is telling.

Current Affairs has published what is perhaps the ultimate take on Jordan Peterson, and the one that should lay the matter to rest once and for all. 'The Intellectual We Deserve': https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/03/the-intellectual-we-deserve

Non Stop Dancer

Well if Nathan J. Robinson says so, I guess that's case closed.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Petey Pate on March 15, 2018, 06:37:31 PM
He's made a few appearances on Keep On Sleeping with Ham Sarris too.

Read that as Keeping Up Appearances at first.

Non Stop Dancer

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on March 16, 2018, 02:27:54 PM
In the same way you've read Jordan Peterson's books?
Reading past the first line of an article is exactly the same as reading the entirety of a series of books by one author, can't believe I never realised that before now.

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on March 16, 2018, 02:27:54 PM
In the same way you've read Jordan Peterson's books?

come back when you have something substantial to contribute. have you read his books? can you counter the articles assertions?

Non Stop Dancer

Ok, will you hold yourself to the same standard?

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on March 16, 2018, 02:34:01 PM
you've still got nothing...

Look mate, I'm not Jordan Peterson's defence attorney, although I do generally like much of his message (the religious stuff isn't really my bag but the rest is useful stuff I think). All you've done there is link to a piece by a man who looks like Millhouse yet has a degree in African American studies, and writes articles about everything in the SJW wank-list with the assumption that the left is the correct wing to be on, rather than a matter of opinion. If you honestly think he's approached the subject with any sense of objectivity then you want your bumps feeling, but you've announced his piece as the irrefutable case against Peterson. That's what I'm objecting to.

still nothing...

no refutation of the points in the article you haven't read, just a load of assumptions about it...

Bhazor

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on March 16, 2018, 02:44:36 PM
rather than a matter of opinion.

Ahh yes, supporting trans rights is just "a different opinion" and that women are happier when they're not allowed to work is an irrefutable fact.

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on March 16, 2018, 02:46:39 PM
still nothing...

no refutation of the article you haven't read, just a load of assumptions about it...

Is there something that could convince you that Jordan Peterson is worth listening to?

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: Bhazor on March 16, 2018, 02:48:46 PM
Ahh yes, supporting trans rights is just "a different opinion".
As I'm sure you're perfectly aware, his beef is with the government of Canada mandating the use particular words to describe people, even if you fail to use them in error.

Let me guess, I'm now anti-trans?

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on March 16, 2018, 02:52:43 PM
As I'm sure you're perfectly aware, his beef is with the government of Canada mandating the use particular words to describe people, even if you fail to use them in error.

Let me guess, I'm now anti-trans?

Has Peterson been arrested or molested by the state in any way for not using these words? I must have missed that

Dr Rock

Telling people to stand up straight is fine advice, too many slouchers with poor posture. Looks bad and isn't good for your back.

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on March 16, 2018, 02:52:43 PM

"Peterson rose to popularity largely due to his public opposition to the Canadian government's Bill C-16, which added gender expression and gender identity to the list of protected groups in the Canadian Human Rights Act.[6][7][8] Peterson opposed the bill because he believes it mandates compelled speech and thus violates freedom of speech.[9] René J. Basque, head of the Canadian Bar Association, does not agree with this interpretation of the bill.[10] Brenda Cossman, professor of law at the University of Toronto, has said Jordan Peterson is "fundamentally mischaracterizing" Bill C-16. Cossman asserts that C-16 is "not about criminalizing pronoun misuse" but instead an extension of Canada's human rights laws to trans status. "

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Jordan_Peterson

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on March 16, 2018, 02:54:01 PM
Has Peterson been arrested or molested by the state in any way for not using these words? I must have missed that

Not yet, but thanks to Bill C16 that's now a viable possibility. I appreciate that's not a compelling case for you though, as you're perfectly happy for the state to tell you what to think, whereas people with a respect for personal agency tend to like to make their own minds up about things.

So that's a no. Why don't they arrest him now that he's gaining more prominence? He's a dangerous fugitive, according to your mad interpretation of the law

It's almost as if he's an hysteric who massively over exaggerated the impact of the bill in order to serve his own egotistical goals of wanting to carve out a lucrative career as a 'free speech martyr' for credulous failsons

PeasOnSticks

Non Stop Dancer and Monsieur Verdoux DESTROY one another on somebody's forum

I'm being DESTROYED with FACTS and PURE LOGIC

PeasOnSticks

Jordan would DESTROY the both of you and you would INSTANTLY REGRET you ever came into existence.

PeasOnSticks

Only if you clean up your room, you Marxist.

I guarantee that my room is as clean as a lobster's habitat