Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:09:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Anyone had any success of converting people out of horrid Youtubers?

Started by TrenterPercenter, June 17, 2018, 03:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigamus

Not so much a cult as a club, I think - a club you can join for free online just by getting into it and feeling like you have something in common with people.

I think there's a big gap between how privileged white men are supposed to be and how privileged they actually feel, what with all the economic precariousness and whatnot, and Peterson taps into that.

ieXush2i

No, the cult aspect is from the desires of the leader and the slavish devotion of his followers, who echo every other cult follower when they attempt to defend him.

I can't believe people are falling for Peterson after The Master. Mind you, Lancaster Dodd would be far more fun to spend any time with.

pigamus

Yes, but that's what people say about Corbyn supporters, and it's just as patronising then as well.

ieXush2i

It genuinely applies with Peterson and his fans:

QuoteI assumed that it was for a new home — there was a trend in Toronto of converting religious spaces, vacant because of their dwindling congregations, into stylish lofts — but he corrected me. He wanted to establish a church, he said, in which he would deliver sermons every Sunday.

From Bernard Schiff, who hired Peterson at UoT about20 years ago.

Kelvin

Quote from: pigamus on June 18, 2018, 04:35:14 PM
I think there's a big gap between how privileged white men are supposed to be and how privileged they actually feel, what with all the economic precariousness and whatnot, and Peterson taps into that.

Good point. Being privileged is all relative. A middle class white man typically has more social advantages than a working class black woman, but that doesn't mean the middle class white man has a happy or fulfilling life, or ready access to things that could improve their situation. Being told that they're privileged probably rings rather hollow and/or callous, even if, comparatively, they might have more opportunities than someone else.   

I suspect that's one of the reason many of these people turn to the right, as opposed to the left. They see some people on the left focusing endlessly on what they do wrong, how they fall short, and how they're more fortunate than other people, and it feels alienating compared to the "world revolves around you" philosophies of the right. 

Funcrusher

The answer always being a cookie cutter lecture about white male privilege doesn't look dogmatic or culty at all.

Danger Man

When I read the joyous, happy, life-affirming posts of the haters on here I'm tempted to switch 'sides'

manticore

Quote from: Kelvin on June 18, 2018, 04:55:31 PM
Good point. Being privileged is all relative. A middle class white man typically has more social advantages than a working class black woman, but that doesn't mean the middle class white man has a happy or fulfilling life, or ready access to things that could improve their situation. Being told that they're privileged probably rings rather hollow and/or callous, even if, comparatively, they might have more opportunities than someone else.   

I suspect that's one of the reason many of these people turn to the right, as opposed to the left. They see some people on the left focusing endlessly on what they do wrong, how they fall short, and how they're more fortunate than other people, and it feels alienating compared to the "world revolves around you" philosophies of the right.

Really it has to be acknowldged that almost everyone is messed up by the present state of things, and locating social suffering only in specific groups is not a good idea, and feeds the Petersons of the world..

ieXush2i

Quote from: Funcrusher on June 18, 2018, 05:03:04 PM
The answer always being a cookie cutter lecture about white male privilege doesn't look dogmatic or culty at all.

The cult surrounding him is so strong youre defending their leader without familiarising yourself with his works. And you were the one hectoring me about reading 12 Rules!

ieXush2i

The right offers a lot of easy solutions to complex problems and allows people the freedom to blame everyone but themselves for their lot.

oh but that's the left tooooooooooooo isn't it aaaaahhhh

Funcrusher

Quote from: (Ex poster) on June 18, 2018, 05:17:08 PM
The cult surrounding him is so strong youre defending their leader without familiarising yourself with his works. And you were the one hectoring me about reading 12 Rules!

Where am I defending him? I'm just noting the somewhat cult-like nature of certain persons.

pigamus

Cult of Corbyn, cult of Peterson, cult of Trump - that's an awful lots of cults.

Kelvin

Quote from: (Ex poster) on June 18, 2018, 05:20:03 PM
The right offers a lot of easy solutions to complex problems and allows people the freedom to blame everyone but themselves for their lot.

oh but that's the left tooooooooooooo isn't it aaaaahhhh

That's not what I said.

madhair60

Funcrusher

Quote from: pigamus on June 18, 2018, 05:25:05 PM
Cult of Corbyn, cult of Peterson, cult of Trump - that's an awful lots of cults.

Don't forget the centreist Corbyn as Satan cult.

ieXush2i

Do you or don't you think he's worthy of vitriol? After all you seem super keen on trying to undermine anyone who might criticise Peterson and then claim you're not defending him. A lot of effort to put in, just like with Gamergate where you repeatedly insisted you were above it all whilst parroting all the GG talking points and defending the figureheads. Christ, you even brought up Zoe Quinn out of nowhere yesterday!

But of course, you don't know who these people are and don't care really...

Funcrusher

Quote from: (Ex poster) on June 18, 2018, 05:29:37 PM
Do you or don't you think he's worthy of vitriol? After all you seem super keen on trying to undermine anyone who might criticise Peterson and then claim you're not defending him. A lot of effort to put in, just like with Gamergate where you repeatedly insisted you were above it all whilst parroting all the GG talking points and defending the figureheads. Christ, you even brought up Zoe Quinn out of nowhere yesterday!

But of course, you don't know who these people are and don't care really...

I said that Newbridge's post was chucking vitriol at Peterson's readers, as reading my post will show. Also perhaps read Madhair's post.

ieXush2i

Quote from: pigamus on June 18, 2018, 05:25:05 PM

Charismatic authoritarian leaders head up cults, yes.

Funcrusher

ieXush2i

Quote from: Funcrusher on June 18, 2018, 05:33:13 PM
I said that Newbridge's post was chucking vitriol at Peterson's readers, as reading my post will show. Also perhaps read Madhair's post.

Ah oh yes, because you are essentially one of his readers without having read him. No wonder you'd bristle.

I read madhair60's post, ta very much sir. Now why do you throw all your efforts into protecting Peterson and GG while claiming to not care/know anything about them?

I don't think Corbyn's a cult leader, though I think there are some cultlike tendencies among a tiny but vocal minority of his supporters (like that bloke who keeps going after Tracey Ullman and Baddiel). I don't think Corbyn is in it for the adulation either, unlike Peterson and Trump who thrive on it. Both Trump and Peterson crave control and desire to reshape the world in their image(s).

pigamus

"I support a thing" = "I have been brainwashed by a cult"

Funcrusher

Paul Calf

Quote from: Danger Man on June 18, 2018, 01:01:25 PM
I'm not easily shocked but if anybody on here has actually read Peterson's fucking book then I'll fall off my chair.

Does it turn into Plato before or after this?

Funcrusher

Quote from: (Ex poster) on June 18, 2018, 05:36:39 PM
Ah oh yes, because you are essentially one of his readers without having read him. No wonder you'd bristle.

I'm one of his readers without having read him? Okay.

manticore

How does relentless moralism towards and derision of people like Peterson's readers help anything, except one's own self-mage and ego?

ieXush2i

Quote from: pigamus on June 18, 2018, 05:37:59 PM
"I support a thing" = "I have been brainwashed by a cult"

Have you encountered any Peterson acolytes? Trenter's pal is not atypical, as other posters have mentioned their own friends being sucked in.

You do know Cathy Newman had to have a personal security detail after she received death threats from his followers?

And yes Funcrusher, it's fucking obvious what I meant by that. Keep on defending those things you don't care about at all!

Funcrusher

Quote from: manticore on June 18, 2018, 05:42:50 PM
How does relentless moralism and derision of people like Peterson's readers help anything, except one's own self-mage and ego?

No, not at all, but if one's own self-image and ego are paramount above everything else then there's nothing else to do. One must obtain ones sanctimony fix.