Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:17:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

We Built This City

Started by Tony Tony Tony, May 20, 2022, 05:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: shiftwork2 on May 20, 2022, 01:27:33 PMI work in Colchester one day per week and haven't been bothered to go into the town (city).  They appear to hammer the Roman stuff.  Individual hospital buildings are numbered 'villas' and there's a road I go on called Via Urbis Romanae which seems a stretch given it goes between new build housing estates and a David Lloyd.

I shall have to go in now.

See how the pull of the big city now has you in its thrall.

Just don't get punched by a squaddie training to attack natives in far-away lands by thumping innocent teens.

dissolute ocelot

Dunfermline is just a commuter town for Edinburgh, mile after mile of terrible suburban blight around a tiny town centre that contains a ruined abbey, a Wetherspoons, some derelict linen mills, and several things named after union-buster Andrew Carnegie. If it wasn't for a mile of sea it would already be a part of Edinburgh. In a nice touch, ScotRail has just halved their train services. And people keep letting their dogs eat the peacocks. Cunts.

For hundreds of years there were 4 Scottish cities: Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee. A good sensible number, well distributed, easy to remember. Soon you won't be able to toss a caber without hitting the city of Kirkcudbright, Denny, or Pittenweem.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia the new cities are only second-class cities because they don't have Lord Mayors (or in Scotland, Lord Provosts). This map shows the proper cities in capitals.

imitationleather

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on May 21, 2022, 11:49:47 AMEDIT: According to Wikipedia the new cities are only second-class cities because they don't have Lord Mayors (or in Scotland, Lord Provosts). This map shows the proper cities in capitals.

Haha. Fuck you, Sunderland!

Blumf

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on May 21, 2022, 11:49:47 AMFor hundreds of years there were 4 Scottish cities: Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee. A good sensible number, well distributed, easy to remember. Soon you won't be able to toss a caber without hitting the city of Kirkcudbright, Denny, or Pittenweem.

The City of Stoneybridge!

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on May 21, 2022, 11:49:47 AMFor hundreds of years there were 4 Scottish cities: Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee. A good sensible number, well distributed, easy to remember. Soon you won't be able to toss a caber without hitting the city of Kirkcudbright, Denny, or Pittenweem.

I think Perth had been a city before being demoted and then re-promoted, but I'd agree that only those 4 really feel like cities. Was in Stirling the other day and it struck me the way it always does - just a reasonably large town with an impressive castle, some historic stuff and a lot of ill-advised 1960s concrete ugliness.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on May 21, 2022, 01:59:19 PMI think Perth had been a city before being demoted and then re-promoted, but I'd agree that only those 4 really feel like cities. Was in Stirling the other day and it struck me the way it always does - just a reasonably large town with an impressive castle, some historic stuff and a lot of ill-advised 1960s concrete ugliness.
Hmm. Wikipedia suggests there wasn't really a proper definition of a Scottish city till the 1990s when the government produced a formal list with just the 4. So maybe for about 5 years there were 4 cities in Scotland till Inverness became a city in 2000. Perth never had a cathedral as far as I know (it now has an Episcopalian one but that's only Victorian), although some tiny Scottish places that aren't viewed as cities did.

Jerrykeshton

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on May 20, 2022, 11:58:27 AMWolverhampton became a city in 2001 and we noticed changes almost immediately, mainly to the signage.
One of my favourite Wolverhampton being a city stories was from about 2008.
The head of development from the council was taking part in a phone in on BBC WM.

A caller rang in and asked about plans for a large derelict building. The answer was, of course, that the recession was holding up the development work.

The caller replied "Which recession? It's been empty since 1986."

The point being, city or not, its still badly managed and run down.

As to Dudley. The borough is relatively affluent and has a large population. However, very little of that wealth and population is in the town of Dudley. It's largely in all the other towns that make up the borough.

Dudley itself is a festering flesh wound and has been for at least the past 35 years

Gurke and Hare

Blumf

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on May 22, 2022, 11:12:13 PMDudley zoo is okay.

Went there a couple of weeks ago, got Covid.

Dex Sawash

Try the monkeypox next time

Ferris

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on May 22, 2022, 11:12:13 PMDudley zoo is okay.

We used to call it Zudley Doo as kids.

28 years etc.

idunnosomename

Disappointed I couldnt visit Dudley castle as some cunts gone and put a zoo in it