Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:19:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Desert Island comedy

Started by Stigdu, July 01, 2022, 11:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stigdu

If you were to be stuck on a desert island with suitcases full of batteries and a portable DVD player, and you were allowed to take one comedy film, one comedy stand-up show and one comedy TV series, what would you take?

(If you can't, or don't want to, take one of each then feel free to substitute one for two from another category).

Mine:

Stand up: Stewart Francis - Pun Gent
Film: Life of Brian
TV show: - Curb your Enthusiasm (I've only seen one season but I loved it and I'd have loads more to watch)

OR - Blackadder (seen them all, would hopefully keep my spirits up).

You guys?

madhair60

i don't really care for comedy.

gilbertharding

Thread title reminds me of all those 70s issues of Punch I used to read in the library as a kid, waiting for my parents to finish the weekly shop. I swear there were at least a dozen cartoons in ever issue featuring a castaway on an island with a single palm tree.

touchingcloth

It'd be desert island dicks for me, complete box sets of the works of the Richards Pryor, Hall, and Gervais. A thousand years on an island with Derke and After Life? Yes, please.

madhair60

i have changed my mind i would also like derke and after life.

touchingcloth

Thinking I'm going to sub out Hall for Ayoade.

Fambo Number Mive

Film: Mr Jolly Lives Next Door
TV shows: - Seinfeld and The Goes Wrong Show

dontpaintyourteeth

I've got an sd card that has all of Mr Show and like 600 episodes of Cum Town on it. That would probably last me until I got eaten by wild animals

Swoz_MK

Stand up: Patrice O'Neal: Elephant in the Room
Film: The Man With Two Brains
TV show: Delocated

Tony Yeboah

Tim Vine Live
Airplane!
Seinfeld

famethrowa

I've got a laptop with every episode of Space Ghost Coast to Coast on it, that would probably do me. For every level of comedy, culture and existence is addressed therein.

Pink Gregory

standup - Wil Hodgson - Hatful of Hodgson
tv - Look Around You
film - A Mighty Wind

mr. logic

Don't think I would ever get bored watching Larry Sanders, with the exception of that weird episode which is just a showcase for Sarah Silverman's bland comedy routine

checkoutgirl

Stand up: Richard Pryor - Live and Smokin' (1971)
Film: Windy City Heat (2003)
TV show: The Simpsons (1990 - 1998)

All have endless rewatch value for me.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: madhair60 on July 01, 2022, 11:54:37 AMi don't really care for comedy.

I knew there was a reason you watch Family Guy.

Brundle-Fly

Stand up: Any Robert Schimmel show.

Film: Sons Of The Desert.

Sitcom: One Foot In The Grave.

Stigdu

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 01, 2022, 03:00:32 PMStand up: Any Robert Schimmel show.

Film: Sons Of The Desert.

Sitcom: One Foot In The Grave.

Kudos for liking Sons of the Desert. My favourite is Pardon Us.

daf

Excuse me please, my ear is full of milk.

grainger

Quote from: Stigdu on July 01, 2022, 11:24:00 AMTV show: - Curb your Enthusiasm (I've only seen one season but I loved it and I'd have loads more to watch)

I'm sorry to tell you this, but that one was by far the best season. All of the other seasons are rubbish.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: grainger on July 01, 2022, 03:32:22 PMI'm sorry to tell you this, but that one was by far the best season. All of the other seasons are rubbish.

Don't listen to grainger. They're great.

chip

Not big on films, so Simpsons S1-11, Frasier, and a Louis set - not sure which. Possibly Carnegie Hall.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 01, 2022, 03:00:32 PMStand up: Any Robert Schimmel show.
Aah, I was just thinking about Robert Schimmel the other day and how funny he was. Time for a relisten.

As for my choices, there are two tv comedies that I've rewatched more than any other and never seem to tire of: Peep Show and The Thick of It, so those are coming to the island with me before anything else.

I won't bother bringing any standup, but I will be bringing the Derek & Clive LPs along instead.

Film: ...Withnail?

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 01, 2022, 11:57:56 AMThread title reminds me of all those 70s issues of Punch I used to read in the library as a kid, waiting for my parents to finish the weekly shop. I swear there were at least a dozen cartoons in ever issue featuring a castaway on an island with a single palm tree.

This one from 1972 was way ahead of its time

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 01, 2022, 12:07:20 PMIt'd be desert island dicks for me, complete box sets of the works of the Richards Pryor, Hall, and Gervais. A thousand years on an island with Derke and After Life? Yes, please.

rich hall is a very poor choice since he's the human being you could most easily construct out of coconut fibre

touchingcloth

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on July 01, 2022, 08:19:01 PMrich hall is a very poor choice since he's the human being you could most easily construct out of coconut fibre

Also the human whose head is most suitable for breaking coconuts against. I've thought this all through.

grainger

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 01, 2022, 03:42:24 PMDon't listen to grainger. They're great.

No, I assure you that whichever one you saw is great, and far better than the other ones.

thenoise

Film: Clockwise. A nostalgic one for me, and it'll remind me of the manic hectic stressful world I am leaving behind and make me glad to be having some peace and quiet for a bit.

TV Show: got to be the Simpsons, densely packed and very rewatchable. I imagine everything after season 10 will get left on the shelf but, with eternity to kill, i might get bored enough who knows.

Stand up: maybe Stewart Lee 90s comedian? Can't think of anything I wouldn't get bored of fairly quickly. Tim Vine is a good shout, I could watch one joke a day until I was rescued. Or challenge myself to memorise it.