Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,782
  • Total Topics: 106,776
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:09:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Paul Draper and Mansun appreciation thread

Started by Vodka Margarine, April 30, 2016, 09:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Quote from: JohnnyCouncil on March 16, 2022, 06:51:03 AMAbout 2 songs later the crowd got it for no likes or retweets. Very pleased to have kept out of shot.

Bloody hell, berate the 50 people who did show up, great move.

purlieu

Good Lord. He really has lost it, hasn't he?

PaulTMA

Starting to think his solo comeback was ill-advised at best

Kankurette

Did not know the Anchoress had had bad experiences with him either. Makes listening to You & Only You feel a bit awkward.

JohnnyCouncil

Quote from: purlieu on March 16, 2022, 10:14:30 AMGood Lord. He really has lost it, hasn't he?

More sad than anything. It's easy for me to judge the but with the tech problems, not a massive issue with a friendly audience, it was the attitude that soured the night. I won't be arsed going to see him again.

Levi

Saw him at his homecoming gig in a small undersold venue in Chester. An uncomfortable night.

Understandably, the recent death of his father has upset him somewhat. He gave several shout-outs to the locum GP he'd spoken to earlier in the day, and offered her an access all areas backstage pass. Oh, the glamour.

Him and his young, petrified guitarist were (again,understandably) unrehearsed. Not really a big issue as everyone in the room was willing him on and as the show went on he seemed more comfortable and even tried some amusing Chester/ Wrexham anecdotes. Stage banter isn't his strong point, but that's hardly a crime.

However, recent loss or not, he comes across as a very sour, unrepentant man. Lots of unflattering chat about ex-partner Catherine as well as referring to the rest of Mansun as "fucking cunts "

He's a talented man with a fine voice, but he does give off really bad vibes.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: daf on March 16, 2022, 06:36:32 AMJust one more greatest hits tour for the devotees
The same old faces came
They love their summer spectaculars
"I feel so drained (in my bladder, because I've pissed on) my legacy"

badaids

Paul's in a Wide Open Space, he's  playing,
There can't be more than 50 punters at this Newcastle gig.

Icehaven

Re: the poor attendance at the shows, hard to say if that's because of the Laura Snapes/other accusations which he appeared to believe was about to blow up just as the album was being released, and also because that made him pull back on publicity, or because of a general waning of interest in him. Probably a combination but he's really digging behaving like this.

Kankurette

Apparently, and not sure how true this is, he has a habit of sending abusive and/or creepy DMs to random female fans.

sevendaughters

I bet if it was more closely associated with "Mansun" rather than his dogshit new album then it would do much better.

Kankurette

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on December 12, 2022, 12:38:08 PMHere we go.

The Anchoress granted stalking protection order against Mansun's Paul Draper: https://www.nme.com/news/music/the-anchoress-granted-stalking-protection-order-against-mansuns-paul-draper-3365256
Good. I don't know the full details of what happened but it sounds pretty grim.

RaspberrySwirl

It's pissed me off even more that he gets to go and tour before the court case starts.  I hope no one shows up to the gigs.

A few years ago I was in a Mansun fb group that became a Paul Draper group and I entered a competition for some handwritten lyrics which I apparently won.  I was chuffed when he emailed me until it quickly transpired he wanted £50 and got a bit ranty when I said I must have misunderstood the competition bit.  Blocked him.

Enzo

We only ever heard his side on the breakup of Mansun, can only imagine what stories the others could tell. We never will though as he's an absolute danger.

PaulTMA

Never wanted a tell-all Stove King memoir so bad

Levi

Quote from: PaulTMA on December 12, 2022, 11:54:48 PMNever wanted a tell-all Stove King memoir so bad

If I remember correctly, Draper wouldn't let Stove play on any of the albums, insisting on doing the bass parts himself. There's an interview in Bass Player Monthly, or something similar, where Stove gives incredibly vague answers to all the bass related questions. On one of their final shows in Wrexham, he wore leather wristbands and a vest, clapping his hands above his head mid-song, like he was fucking Nikki Sixx. It probably didn't help the mood within a dying band, but I admired the chutzpah.

PaulTMA

Quote from: Levi on December 13, 2022, 12:26:53 AMIf I remember correctly, Draper wouldn't let Stove play on any of the albums, insisting on doing the bass parts himself. There's an interview in Bass Player Monthly, or something similar, where Stove gives incredibly vague answers to all the bass related questions. On one of their final shows in Wrexham, he wore leather wristbands and a vest, clapping his hands above his head mid-song, like he was fucking Nikki Sixx. It probably didn't help the mood within a dying band, but I admired the chutzpah.

In all seriousness, Draper spun the yarn about Stove embezzling money which everyone believed at the time.  Starting to think wonder if that wasn't an entirely accurate version of events.  Of course, there was radio silence from the rest of Mansun.  Would especially love to hear Dominic Chad's account of things, but it appears he figured staying far away from the limelight was the way to go.

What a truly sad state of affairs.

Enzo

Quote from: Levi on December 13, 2022, 12:26:53 AMIf I remember correctly, Draper wouldn't let Stove play on any of the albums, insisting on doing the bass parts himself. There's an interview in Bass Player Monthly, or something similar, where Stove gives incredibly vague answers to all the bass related questions. On one of their final shows in Wrexham, he wore leather wristbands and a vest, clapping his hands above his head mid-song, like he was fucking Nikki Sixx. It probably didn't help the mood within a dying band, but I admired the chutzpah.

Stove did that at the final Dublin gig as well, so much so that he missed his cue and had Draper raging at him.

Kankurette

Chad's working in a leisure centre or something now. Don't know what Andie's up to. But yeah, I doubt any of them would want to spill tea because there's no telling what Paul would do.

Chicory

SteveDave

Quote from: RaspberrySwirl on December 12, 2022, 06:49:32 PMIt's pissed me off even more that he gets to go and tour before the court case starts.  I hope no one shows up to the gigs.

Unfortunately people are dickheads. See the renewed interest in everyone's favourite thug Tom Meighan

Icehaven

Quote from: RaspberrySwirl on December 12, 2022, 06:49:32 PMA few years ago I was in a Mansun fb group that became a Paul Draper group

I think I was/am in a group that changed like that too so it's probably the same one. Several years ago I vaguely remember Draper posting about the difficulties of dating or that he'd had some bad dates or something, and thinking what an odd thing that was to do on the "official" fb page for your music rather than your own personal page. I've no idea if he didn't see the difference or what but it was strange. I'm not suggesting he was fishing for dates among his fanbase or anything but I daresay he wouldn't be the first.

markburgle

Quote from: SteveDave on December 13, 2022, 08:59:50 AMUnfortunately people are dickheads. See the renewed interest in everyone's favourite thug Tom Meighan

Just saw an interview with him on the youtubes. No interest in Kasabian, just rubbernecking - he's the kind of dickhead who says the name of the person he's talking to about half a dozen times a minute, it was unwatchable and gave me "chinny reckon" vibes about everything he said.

Interviewer (random youtube bloke) was lapping it up. He'd found a statement from Meighan's wife denying abuse, was acting like he'd got the true-story-they-don't-want-you-to-hear, and was invested in believing Meighan was a GBOL. He'd apparently never heard of partners covering up for abusers

RaspberrySwirl

Quote from: Icehaven on December 13, 2022, 09:16:24 AMI think I was/am in a group that changed like that too so it's probably the same one. Several years ago I vaguely remember Draper posting about the difficulties of dating or that he'd had some bad dates or something, and thinking what an odd thing that was to do on the "official" fb page for your music rather than your own personal page. I've no idea if he didn't see the difference or what but it was strange. I'm not suggesting he was fishing for dates among his fanbase or anything but I daresay he wouldn't be the first.

Yep I think we were in the same group because I remember that happening and his posts in general often just felt weird somehow.  It increasingly felt like if you weren't posting fawning crap about how great Draper was he'd turn on you and so would his cult followers.  I made (no) excuses and left.

sevendaughters

Quote from: markburgle on December 13, 2022, 09:23:02 AMJust saw an interview with him on the youtubes. No interest in Kasabian, just rubbernecking - he's the kind of dickhead who says the name of the person he's talking to about half a dozen times a minute, it was unwatchable and gave me "chinny reckon" vibes about everything he said.

Interviewer (random youtube bloke) was lapping it up. He'd found a statement from Meighan's wife denying abuse, was acting like he'd got the true-story-they-don't-want-you-to-hear, and was invested in believing Meighan was a GBOL. He'd apparently never heard of partners covering up for abusers

James Hargreaves, my sore-tooth-can't-stop-touching-it youtuber of choice, making to-camera earnest videos about the importance of 3rd tier Britpop like he's begging to be let out of a Lebanese radiator showroom

markburgle

Quote from: sevendaughters on December 13, 2022, 09:46:02 AMJames Hargreaves, my sore-tooth-can't-stop-touching-it youtuber of choice, making to-camera earnest videos about the importance of 3rd tier Britpop like he's begging to be let out of a Lebanese radiator showroom

That's the fella

SteveDave

Quote from: sevendaughters on December 13, 2022, 09:46:02 AMJames Hargreaves, my sore-tooth-can't-stop-touching-it youtuber of choice, making to-camera earnest videos about the importance of 3rd tier Britpop like he's begging to be let out of a Lebanese radiator showroom

I'm glad to meet a fellow sufferer. I can't stop watching his bullshit Oasis theories and listening to the music that he's obviously spent a LOT of money recording at Rockfield (despite it sounding like he's done it in his spare bedroom) A friend alerted me to him and his "Let's get REAL MUSIC back in the charts where it belongs" stuff. He was part of some mental church too which only furthers my interest.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Has there been another thread that's taken such a drastic turn as this one? It started out as a joyous celebration, but now i feel a sense of dread whenever it gets bumped.