Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:16:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

COVID derangement

Started by canadagoose, June 10, 2023, 12:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinder Data

Quote from: scarecrow on February 29, 2024, 02:04:55 AMI'm confused by your post - wearing a decent, well fitting respirator will likely stop you contracting airborne viruses, while portable air purifiers add an extra layer of protection (I don't personally fuck with them and certainly wouldn't in a cinema). Why do you think these measures are unlikely to protect them? What makes you think it's a better idea to raw dog an ongoing pandemic?

I'm not surprised you're confused, I was a little drunk and very tired when I wrote it. some of it doesn't make sense. apologies.

I know that masks and air purifiers help protect against airborne diseases. I'm not sure what point I was trying to make.

I suppose it just struck me as abnormal behaviour and reminded me of people's different tolerance levels of adapting to crowds. I suppose if I was as worried as them about catching something, I'd probably avoid something non-essential like the cinema instead of carrying all that.

it reminded me of a Twitter post from someone last year who's still v worried about COVID and seems to mix only with other families who are worried. they don't hang out indoors with anyone and always wear masks. the idea of raising someone in that context made me sad.

but I know opinions differ and I'd rather not debate about what constitutes an appropriate response to COVID so I'll bow out

scarecrow

Quote from: Blinder Data on February 29, 2024, 09:42:45 AMit reminded me of a Twitter post from someone last year who's still v worried about COVID and seems to mix only with other families who are worried. they don't hang out indoors with anyone and always wear masks. the idea of raising someone in that context made me sad.
I'm sure they don't feel good about it either.

BlodwynPig

At a conference today and learned that we should not immediately enter a room after the aircon has just been switched on.

Cloud

To be honest, out in the "real world" I haven't even heard of anyone testing for a good 6+ months now and haven't seen a mask for at least that long either.  Maybe it was unrelated.

ZoyzaSorris

The research on long term effects of repeatedly catching Covid year in year out is not looking good (as you might expect for a virus that attacks blood vessels throughout your entire body, can cross the blood-brain barrier, damages the immune system and evidence increasingly suggests persists in immune-privileged sites across the body). I think the only Covid derangement going on is society-wide slow motion brain injury. Happy Friday, it's Prosecco o' clock!

Cloud

Short of all locking down for the rest of our lives what are we supposed to do?  Having asked this question several times before and got "hmph well I wasn't suggesting that" back I still don't really see what else would stop it.  It's transmissible as fuck, all sitting around in masks even if you could somehow get the legislation for it and get people to actually comply, will do very little to prevent it.

I'll take a shortened life over a shit one personally.  If COVID doesn't get us climate change will anyway - what's done is done.

ZoyzaSorris

I don't know what we can do, though a lot more work needs to be going towards finding treatments or prevention for the damage this is silently doing to people's bodies and brains. Air purification in public buildings wouldn't hurt. Of course instead the collective decision seems to be to go for the 'don't look up' approach and pretend this enormous medium term threat to society isn't happening and that the mounting health problems either don't exist or are the fault of lockdowns for a few weeks years ago. It's bizarre. This virus is gradually wrecking everyone's cardiovascular systems, immune systems and brains to a faster or slower extent. It's not a cause of a shortened life vs a shit life. It's a shorter and much shitter life.

Cloud

Yeah if this research is true fingers crossed it eventually sinks in and gets the research for cures etc that it needs.

Unfortunately human society seems to wait until things are really visibly going south before doing anything (see also climate change)

Kankurette

Christopher Chope is now going on an antivaxx campaign. I should make a separate thread.

shoulders

Almost like they were trying to cope with a virus they didn't fully understand and didn't have a vaccine for that managed to kill 7 million people in 3 years and cripple millions of others.

But lol yeah look at those CUNTS

shoulders

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on March 08, 2024, 10:35:04 PMIt's a shorter and much shitter life.

Most people aged under 40 in the West have already figured that elites have mapped this future out for them before Covid came along.

It is possibly a sense of defeatism against overwhelming odds and being lulled towards easy distractions that is suppressing the drive forward to recognise the extent of problems Long Covid is causing and pour money into research and treatments.

In the meantime just expect arch right wing cunts like Sunak to react like we all need whipping into shape.