Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:26:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Is there any shame in liking...

Started by Lady Beaner, September 04, 2007, 07:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pseudopath

Quote from: rudi on September 05, 2007, 01:54:54 AM
FF music (never played it - no idea what it's like)

Here's a full orchestra performing that 'One Winged Angel' track I mentioned earlier:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn71hIsm0U8[/youtube]

It doesn't have quite the same impact outside the context of the game, but still - bloody hell.

MuteBanana

Quote from: Ray Le Otter on September 05, 2007, 12:18:57 AM

"What a Fool Believes" is fucking ace BTW. As is "Sweet Freedom" and all of "Tango In The Night".

And his cover of Signed, Sealed, Delivered.  That scream at the start is awesome. Better than Wonders anyway.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Pseudopath on September 05, 2007, 02:22:20 AM
Here's a full orchestra performing that 'One Winged Angel' track I mentioned earlier:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn71hIsm0U8[/youtube]

It doesn't have quite the same impact outside the context of the game, but still - bloody hell.

Bloody hell is right! Thanks for that video. To think Nobuo Uematsu started doing the music for games as far back at 1985, including every single Final Fantasy soundtrack, and now he's got big-fuck-off orchestras playing out his music in halls entertaining people in the hundreds/thousands, with fans the world over... that's quite some success story, and considering he's done the music so many other games as well as Final Fantasy, there's few other in his field who could boast such a CV. The man is a genius.

Hypodeemic Nerdle

Quote from: non capisco on September 04, 2007, 11:51:28 PMLike your Terence Trent D'arby-based tagline there, Hypodeemic Nerdle.
Great to see Groove Hoob's fizzog on here too.

Jemble Fred

There's a better version of 'Signed, Sealed, Delivered' than Stevie Wonder's? Fuck me, link please!

the midnight watch baboon

Elto John has some pretty great singles in his back catalogue, especially 'I Guess That's Why They Call it the Blues', 'Rocket Man', 'Don't go Breaking my Heart', and 'Sad Songs (Say so much)'.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: the midnight watch baboon on September 05, 2007, 09:23:34 AM
Elto John has some pretty great singles in his back catalogue, especially 'I Guess That's Why They Call it the Blues', 'Rocket Man', 'Don't go Breaking my Heart', and 'Sad Songs (Say so much)'.

He's one of those artists you have to see through American eyes – he's a god to a lot of my US friends, who are all serious (and seriously good) musicians. But they don't really see much of the tubby irascible wiggy old Elton that we know and hate nowadays, they seem to have an image of him trapped at the height of his powers.

'I'm Still Standing' is another great track that would benefit from a great cover. I'll get onto it...

boxofslice

Quote from: the midnight watch baboon on September 05, 2007, 09:23:34 AM

His run of abums in the early 70's fom 'Elton John' to 'Captain Fantastic' contains his best work, some really good stuff in there including the excellent 'Tiny Dancer'. Personally think he lost his way after that what with the drugs and everything and even his mid 80's revival is pretty much dire - 'Nikita'? 
These days he's just become a caricature of himself and i think enjoys reveling in the diva role he's carved out for himself.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Pseudopath on September 05, 2007, 12:13:58 AM
Eh? Of course there's no shame in liking Motown. Stevie Wonder's Innervisions is one of the greatest albums of all time, Marvin Gaye is a legend and there are countless other awesome composers and performers. What an odd thing to say!

Yeah, I thought that too. As did, I imagine, every one else who read it. Nagsworth, why on Earth were you wondering whether you should be ashamed of liking what is generally regarded as some of the greatest music in the history of Pop? Most perplexing.

EDIT: Quote above from Nagsworth, not Pseudopath. Sorry!

Backstage With Slowdive

alan nagsworth

Canted_Angle

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Canted_Angle on September 05, 2007, 02:43:00 PM
William Shatner - Has Been

That got generally positive reviews, though. Most people admitted at the time that it was much better than could've reasonably been expected. I do like what I've heard from it.

Quote from: nagsworth on September 05, 2007, 01:01:42 PM
You thought me being ashamed of motown was crazy?

I know! This thread is bizarre.

Ciarán

Quote from: Ray Le Otter on September 05, 2007, 12:18:57 AM
You are Sean Rowley and I claim my £5.

"What a Fool Believes" is fucking ace BTW. As is "Sweet Freedom" and all of "Tango In The Night".

The good thing about 'Guilty Pleasures' is that at least those records do get an airing now, where otherwise they might have just been forgotten (as seems to have happened with Gary Glitter's back catalogue for example). I own all of the 'Guilty Pleasures' comps, some great things on there which you don't find on your average compilation.

Add me to the list of Level 42 fans by the way.

niat

Level 42
Nik Kershaw
Staind
Sting
Coldplay
Hue & Cry

I like all of 'em, but general opinion seems to be that I should be ashamed to admit it.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: niat on September 05, 2007, 04:30:26 PM
Level 42
Nik Kershaw
Staind
Sting
Coldplay
Hue & Cry

I like all of 'em, but general opinion seems to be that I should be ashamed to admit it.

For shaaame! Now we're beginning to plumb the depths. "Got to plumb.. Plumb the depths.... The depths of hell!"

Pseudopath

Quote from: nagsworth on September 05, 2007, 04:39:16 PM
For shaaame! Now we're beginning to plumb the depths. "Got to plumb.. Plumb the depths.... The depths of hell!"

Oh, come on...none of them are as bad as U2.

alan nagsworth

Ah yes has someone mentioned them? Bill Bailey's take on them on Part Troll is pretty apt...

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=8EDuK46ZqFM[/youtube]

Quote from: nagsworth on September 05, 2007, 04:39:16 PM

Well there is a James Blunt tag down there.  However bad Coldplay might be, they are fractionally better than Snow Patrol

El Unicornio, mang

Coldplay's first album is very good, nothing guilty about that

Captain Crunch

Is there an 'r' in the month or whatever the criteria is for Status Quo being 'ghey'?

I fucking love the Quo, one of the best live bands I've ever seen and almost worth caning my ears for.  There's just something about seeing them live, it's a real 'men from the boys event' - the volume, the ease of performance, the sense of intimacy (steady) - you see less established bands trying so hard to create that and failing miserably. 

Here's a nice version of Gerdunula for you:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Som50z-wY[/youtube]

boki

Quote from: Captain Crunch on September 05, 2007, 07:48:35 PM
Is there an 'r' in the month or whatever the criteria is for Status Quo being 'ghey'?

I fucking love the Quo, one of the best live bands I've ever seen and almost worth caning my ears for.  There's just something about seeing them live, it's a real 'men from the boys event' - the volume, the ease of performance, the sense of intimacy (steady) - you see less established bands trying so hard to create that and failing miserably. 

I was definitively put off the idea of ever seeing the Quo live after overhearing (which wasn't hard, as she was actually broadcast to everyone within earshot) a colleague once enthusing about how she especially liked the fact that "...it sounded just like on the record..."

Not that there's anything wrong with professionalism, of course.  It just reminded me too much of Bateman.