Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:02:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Resident Evil 2 [split topic]

Started by Steve Faeces, January 21, 2024, 10:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Faeces

Resident Evil 2 (2019 remake). I never played the original, having skipped from number one straight to number four (I also bought the remake of three in the pre-xmas sale to have a go at).

It's quite hard I feel, but I am enjoying it aside from
Spoiler alert
as soon as it became clear Ada was sticking around in the sewer I thought to myself "there's going to be a really boring bit where you control her and she's brought some irritating feature along too" and sure enough there is a really boring bit where you control her and she's got a sort of dowsing rod for electricity shaped like a checkout scanner.
[close]

Mobius

I was playing Resident Evil 2 on the PS5 over the weekend. Was quite enjoying it. Have never played any Resi games, due to not being much of a horror fan until recently.

But I kept running out of ammo. Then I discovered you aren't really meant to kill the zombies, but just use 1 or 2 bullets to kneecap them or whatever? I had a knife for a while but otherwise I didn't seem to have any punch or shove ability?

Steve Faeces

Quote from: Mobius on January 22, 2024, 12:11:01 AMBut I kept running out of ammo. Then I discovered you aren't really meant to kill the zombies, but just use 1 or 2 bullets to kneecap them or whatever? I had a knife for a while but otherwise I didn't seem to have any punch or shove ability?

The lack of available ammo and health items is really frustrating at times, when  you're hobbling about with one bullet, but I suppose it means you have to be much more strategic about how you use your resources and move about map, but I'm not so keen on how the knife is used or as you say the lack of a punch, kick etc.

The Crumb

Quote from: Mobius on January 22, 2024, 12:11:01 AMI was playing Resident Evil 2 on the PS5 over the weekend. Was quite enjoying it. Have never played any Resi games, due to not being much of a horror fan until recently.

But I kept running out of ammo. Then I discovered you aren't really meant to kill the zombies, but just use 1 or 2 bullets to kneecap them or whatever? I had a knife for a while but otherwise I didn't seem to have any punch or shove ability?

Yep, it's by design in RE2 that you don't have any 'free' attacks. You either have to evade enemies or spend some resources to slow them down or kill them. Kneecapping is a good strategy. Basically it's worth killing zombies if they're in an area you go through a lot, they're very difficult to get around or you're backed into a corner. The ammo management does ease up, especially on normal or below. You get some more efficient weapons and the ammo gets thrown at you a bit.

Knives go in your escape slot, and let you break free of a grab without taking damage. You have to down the zombie to retrieve the knife, if you do this you get a few uses before it breaks.

Are you Claire or Leon?

The Culture Bunker

I started it again the other day, as it's on PS Platinum, and was quite enjoying it until Mr X appeared and I remembered how they botched the whole A/B scenario stuff.

C_Larence

I played it for the first time last year and really enjoyed it. The lighting in some of the police station hallways is done very well which gives it a sort of PT feel.

Mobius

Quote from: The Crumb on January 22, 2024, 02:39:29 PMAre you Claire or Leon?

I was Leon

Honestly it's idiotic to me I can't push zombies or anything and just have to run up and down the same corridors because I haven't got any ammo (I am in AMERICAN police station) so I fucked it off. Might try one of the other Resi Evils though, Village looks cool.

Schlippy

Don't the modern Resident Evils deliberately starve you of ammo? Screw up too badly and it'll throw you a bone or two, but generally the games want you in a state of panic as much as possible so make sure you never have "enough".

Steve Faeces

I found Biohazard and Village (7&8) on same difficulty as RE2 much easier generally and far more forgiving in terms of ammo and health items to pick up. Also you can buy items in the later ones fairly often which you can't in the older ones.

bgmnts

I personally found Hardcore on RE2 to be a breeze compared to the hardest difficulty on 7 and 8 (neither of which I got far in), so I'd have to say either the ammo placements were more forgiving or I was just better at playing the game in third person than first person.

oggyraiding

RE2 remake I feel a constant sense of dread. I never got far enough to reach the point where you're swimming in ammo like most Resis have, but the first couple of hours are pure tension.

RE7 the only time you're short on resources is everything before the first Jack boss fight. RE8 I don't think I ever felt lacking in ammo other than the initial siege bit where you're meant to fail. RE8 also has the bonus of crafting resources not taking up inventory slots, so you can in theory walk around with enough material to craft dozens of bullets.

I do want to finish RE2 remake, but Mr X scares me. Enemies that stalk you and can't be killed really stress me out. Give me genuine anxiety. Jack in RE7 is easily avoided, but Mr X hangs around in the most inconvenient locations.

Poobum

Absolutely love and hate playing RE2 (remake). I have that compulsion to kill everything and make areas safe and RE2 just doesn't let you. Also the fact that it completely throws out the headshot zombie insta kill really unsettled me and made me feel it was all out of my control. Mr. X also is just terrifying. Definitely had to play it small bursts just like Alien Isolation

Schlippy

I'd forgotten about RE7/8, the last one I spent any time with was the remake of 4 and that 100% starves you of ammo. Had a quick fun run through on assisted after my original (excruciating) run on hardcore, and while the baddies go down like oral sex enthusiasts at a blowjob convention I was still running out of bullets all the time. Defo some algorithmic shit going on there, but it's far more of a straight-up action game than the rest of the series anyway I guess.

popcorn

One of my very favourite things about the RE2 remake is that the zombies are all unique and they persist. So you blow the legs off someone and then fuck off for a bit and then bump into them crawling up a staircase 30 minutes later. "Oh yes hello again"

Ferris

Removing the insta-headshot was where I gave up and switched to cheats. Like... no, the muzzle energy of this pistol would turn your brains into tomato soup, how are you doing a stagger then taking another two or three? If we're gonna play Calvinball with the rules then I'm giving myself an infinite rocket launcher.

Rev+

The A game is the usual business of feeling like you're strapped for ammo the whole time, but ending the game with enough left over to arm a small country.  The early stretch of the B game really takes the piss, though, because you've far too little ammo to do the usual wound-n-weave.  You need to completely end particular bastards, but you have to pick the right ones, and it won't be apparent if you've picked correctly until a bit later on.  The B game is just annoying.

bgmnts

What Resi games had insta headshot? You could always headshot zombies with a shotgun, but with a pistol it took multiple shots.

Poobum

I was on about general zombie lore and expectations. RE2 remake is the first Resi I've played properly so I was flummoxed by zombies just no selling bullets to the forehead.

Ferris

Quote from: bgmnts on January 26, 2024, 01:09:13 AMWhat Resi games had insta headshot? You could always headshot zombies with a shotgun, but with a pistol it took multiple shots.

It was an aiming thing, I think. In the originals, the tank controls meant you were aiming "up", "torso" or "legs". Being able to directly target a zombie brain is a newer thing, though now I'm questioning that. You just have been able to do it in RE4 with the Wii controls.

popcorn

Quote from: Ferris on January 26, 2024, 01:45:07 AMIn the originals, the tank controls meant you were aiming "up", "torso" or "legs".

They're all aiming "up", "torso" or "legs" by the time I'm finished with them.

Thursday

I don't understand. RE4 was the first one to have precise aiming (and before the wii version) and things could take multiple shots head before they went down. Most games don't have one-shot headshots with standard weapons other than early game/weaker enemies because that would be too easy.

madhair60

didn't like the RE2 remake but get on fine with all the other REs more or less. there's something about RE2make that I just don't vibe with. i think it may be similar to Ferris, with the disconnection between what you're actually doing with the weapons to the zombies and how they react to it. I prefer to clear out areas and yeah you absolutely can't do it in RE2. also I think there was some boring puzzle with plugs, so i just bought the DLC that gives you infinite minigun. bbrrrrrrrrrrrbbbrrbr

Goldentony

the zombies in this are, excuse me here, cunts

Thursday

I do understand the feeling of disconnection, RE2R controls like an action game, it feels you should play it like Resi 4 where you clear out areas, hunt for treasure and then move on. But you're supposed to play it like an old school Resi. I suppose to me it just felt intuitive, but that's because of pre-existing knowledge and reviews I read that set my expectations, but there's not much in it's design to push you towards this. You might have been expecting it to just adaptively give you more ammo but then it doesn't and you're a bit fucked.

Ferris

Quote from: madhair60 on January 26, 2024, 12:29:55 PMjust bought the DLC that gives you infinite minigun. bbrrrrrrrrrrrbbbrrbr

I did exactly the same thing.

If you're going to fuck me around, game, then I'm not going to play fair either. Eat lead you undead wankers!!

Consignia

I wish shit like that wasn't DLC. Yeah, I may be crap at the game, but don't make me pay extra just to have a bit of fun in my own way.

The Crumb

Just thinking about the grenade launcher in this is making me want to play it again. Shame Claire's other weapon are kind of shit.

Goldentony

Thread made me want another go of this since i've not 100%'d it and I managed to clear the RPD in about 18 minutes and get to the sewers in about 20, saved and yet to go back. I decided to have a go of hardcore with the infinite minigun for a few test runs since i'm also missing a few shit annoying trophies like READ ALL FILES. Love just walking around that huge building in the old style Leon costume. Sad there isn't an option for the original soundtrack because I miss the RPD hall theme.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Goldentony on February 03, 2024, 11:37:07 AMThread made me want another go of this since i've not 100%'d it and I managed to clear the RPD in about 18 minutes and get to the sewers in about 20, saved and yet to go back. I decided to have a go of hardcore with the infinite minigun for a few test runs since i'm also missing a few shit annoying trophies like READ ALL FILES. Love just walking around that huge building in the old style Leon costume. Sad there isn't an option for the original soundtrack because I miss the RPD hall theme.

There is! It's available as DLC, I don't think it costs a fortune either. I got it along with the old costumes and the infinite weapons in a bundle.

Ferris

Was just about to post this. You can get the old music, sounds, costumes, the lot.

In a way it's sad that capcom have gone "right, what bit of nostalgia can we monetize? Brilliant, let's do it" but also it's only 2 quid or whatever so can't complain too much.