Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:55:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

EDINBURGH FRINGE THREAD 2024

Started by flotemysost, March 28, 2024, 06:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flotemysost

Is it too early for a Fringe thread? Is there already a Fringe thread? Dunno, but I'm starting one anyway SO THERE

Not much to add other than I'll be there from the 16th (or possibly 15th) - 19th August this year. Hoping to aim for a marginally more organised approach than my debut visit last last year's "scroll through app, see what I have time to sprint over to" policy - so any recommendations/thoughts/ideas, have at it (please)

(I hope there's an app again, no idea how anyone managed without)

(also potentially too early to sort, but as mentioned in another thread, if some form of meet seems feasible then I'd be well up for that, seeing as I managed to very successfully NOT meet any of you last year)

CaledonianGonzo

No word on it yet, but I reckon it's a reasonable bet that S. Lee will be running his new show in at The Stand.

WestHill

I'm going from 14-18 Aug. Can't wait.

Starting my long list already. From the shows already announced this is what I've got:

Rob Auton 14:15 Assembly R
Jimeoin 20:25 Just the tonic nucleus
Jazz Emu 21:00 Pleasance Courtyard
Foil, Arms and Hog 21:15 Underbelly Bristo Square
Tarot 21:30 Pleasance Courtyard
Catherine Cohen 22:00 Pleasance Courtyard
Two Hearts 23:00 Pleasance Courtyard

Tiggles

I had such a blast last year at my first one that I'm scared of not enjoying it as much this time if I go. But I can already see the beginnings of a spreadsheet emerge in my mind from those already announced, so...

Msp1976

I'm heading up for 4 nights from the 19 Aug. More shows will be announced on Thursday I believe.

I've not seen many WIPs yet but saw BriTANick a few weeks back and their new show is outstanding.

I see that Sam Simmons is doing shows in Aus at the moment so hoping he comes back over. Dr Brown is doing WIPs too so there's a decent chance he'll be back after a good few years.

Will be weird not having the Balloon there this year.

dr beat

Good to hear BriTANick might be back, I really enjoyed last years fringe.  Lorna Rose Treen was brilliant but then Seymour Mace was even better.

We had a fun meet also, would be good to do it again.

DrGreggles

Sunday night drinks worked well last time, but looks like that might be the day some of us leave.
I'm most likely to be there from the 11th, so how about Friday the 16th?

cakeinmilk

I'm an early bird there from 2nd - 7th so will miss you lot, but I'll celebrate vicariously. The spreadsheet is coming along nicely, though I haven't yet booked anything.

flotemysost

Quote from: Msp1976 on March 29, 2024, 01:22:11 PMI've not seen many WIPs yet but saw BriTANick a few weeks back and their new show is outstanding.

Oh nice, def up for seeing them this year if they're there.

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 29, 2024, 03:47:15 PMI'm most likely to be there from the 11th, so how about Friday the 16th?

Works for me, though I'm pretty easy at this stage!

JCR

Mhairi Black is doing a full run with a show in the comedy section, despite still being an MP, assuming no election before 26th August

Garam

Tiggles

There's already over 20 shows I want to see. It's going to be a case of choosing my week now.

Do any fringe veterans have any advice on which are the best weeks to go/ avoid?

edwardfog

Comedians always say week 3 is when they're at their best

edwardfog

My wish list so far:

Marjolein Robertson
Pat Cahill
Emma Sidi
John Tothill
Paddy Young
Milo Edwards
Jordan Brookes
Katie Norris
Dan Cook
Rob Auton
Luke Rollason
Rachel Kaly
Colin Hoult
Katie Norris
Pierre Novellie
Nic Sampson
Celya AB
Sheeps

DrGreggles

I tend to go the week of the 'rest days' (12th-14th this year), as you'll sometimes get interesting one-off shows cropping up to fill the empty rooms.

Tiggles

Thank you both. I was thinking about the week of the rest days - it worked well last year too, and is also week 3. My list of acts I want to see who have confirmed is already ridiculously long, and it's only the start of April.

Msp1976

Is it me or is Late'n'Live not very late anymore? It use to start at 1am and last for 4 hours. It then moved to 23:30 for 2 hours. It's now 75 mins.

I love a late night show with a post show stagger to Palymyra Pizza. Any alternatives?

Msp1976

Underbelly have just released some new shows.

Dan Rath is back (his show last year was outstanding)

Jeromaia Detto is doing his show from last year (MUSH) which was brilliant.

I missed Furiozo last year so.pleased to see that he's also back with the same show.

edwardfog

Ooh Dan Rath. He's always such a highlight for me, and I'm always worried he's not going to come back because he doesn't get the attention he deserves

edwardfog

Quote from: Msp1976 on April 03, 2024, 04:24:26 PMIs it me or is Late'n'Live not very late anymore? It use to start at 1am and last for 4 hours. It then moved to 23:30 for 2 hours. It's now 75 mins.

I love a late night show with a post show stagger to Palymyra Pizza. Any alternatives?

Last year the Bedlam Theatre did a programme of really great mixed bill shows which started at around 1am

Tiggles

Quote from: Msp1976 on April 03, 2024, 04:36:26 PMUnderbelly have just released some new shows.

Dan Rath is back (his show last year was outstanding)

Jeromaia Detto is doing his show from last year (MUSH) which was brilliant.

I missed Furiozo last year so.pleased to see that he's also back with the same show.

Brilliant news, even as my nascent spreadsheet whimpers.

Msp1976

Quote from: edwardfog on April 03, 2024, 05:06:27 PMLast year the Bedlam Theatre did a programme of really great mixed bill shows which started at around 1am

Cheers, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for those

flotemysost

Thanks all for the links/recs, some good stuff there!

Quote from: edwardfog on April 02, 2024, 04:59:37 PMComedians always say week 3 is when they're at their best

I've pretty much based my plan around when I/the people I'm going with could get time off work, and when there was accommodation available that wasn't in the kidney-harvesting price tier BUT it sounds like I might have inadvertently lucked out there.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Msp1976 on April 03, 2024, 04:24:26 PMIs it me or is Late'n'Live not very late anymore? It use to start at 1am and last for 4 hours. It then moved to 23:30 for 2 hours. It's now 75 mins.

Stamptown seemed to be drawing the most hype last year.

Msp1976

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on April 04, 2024, 10:15:46 AMStamptown seemed to be drawing the most hype last year.

Yeah Stamptown do put on an outstanding show. Rumour has it they are playing the Pleasence Grand which is a whopper of a room.

Xander

There's also the stalwarts of the Alternative Comedy Memorial Society playing the Monkey Barrel One from midnight to 2.45am-ish. You can usually guarantee on a few bigger names doing more experimental things/simply pissing about but it's definitely not everyone's cup of tea.

CaledonianGonzo

My take on the 'best week to go' is each has its pros and cons.

First week is quietest and has the advantage of lots of previews, comps and 2 for 1 deals that can significantly help with costs.  However, it's also a lot more difficult to tell the good from the bad without a lot of reviews or hype having had the chance to build - and some shows can still need to be knocked into shape. But if you do your research and / or know your onions it can be the peak period.

Second week is a lot busier (with the 3rd weekend probably when the crowds peak) and buzz shows start appearing on the radar, but as they often have tickets still available you stand a decent chance of getting in to see something that becomes the talk of the town.  And for the acts themselves the first week nerves have gone, the shows have been refined and things are building up a head of steam.  But boy can it be busy.

Then by the third week it's generally clear who the main runners and riders are, but the converse is that they're often over-subscribed. Luckily there are usually extra shows that can sort you out, but it's not always a given. And in my experience the acts themselves can be knackered by this point or down with the festival flu - or indeed just a bit fed up cos they've not had the numbers in or the sort of response they were looking for. But the upside is usually some end of term vibe oddities start appearing in the programme - and under the radar acts can arrive on the awards shortlist out of leftfield, triggering late ticket scrambles for shows that can blow your socks off.

My main advice, regardless of the week you go, would always try to leave wiggle room in your schedule that allows you to book for something that becomes a must see almost overnight. Setting a timetable in stone weeks / months in advance means you can't adapt to catch a word of mouth sensation.

Although, that said, knowing exactly when to pull the trigger to avoid missing out is a bit of an inexact science - and even after years of practice you can still come a cropper. I find now I don't have a fucking scoob whether something is big on TikTok and will sell like hotcakes.

Tiggles

That's all really helpful, thank you.

Last year I went on the rest week - so the run up to weekend 3, it was busy but I legged it on early Friday evening. I booked up on the Tues and Weds (main rest days last year, where there was more pressure on remaining shows) then gave myself wriggle room on the other days.

This year will hopefully be slightly less exhausting as I won't be such a fuckwit about where the different venues are clustered and walking time between them, and queuing.

This forum and chatting to people was invaluable for tips and recommendations, and info on extra shows. I know nothing about TikTok comedy either, we really need to recruit a CAB consultant.

Is self promotion allowed?

[...No]