Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:36:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sam Campbell UK tour

Started by Tiggles, October 06, 2023, 08:05:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiggles

I wondered if Sam Campbell was doing any gigs off the back of Taskmaster, did myself a Google and found this landing page... looks like it might go live later today.

https://www.samcampbelltour.com/blank

DrGreggles

I get the feeling it might be the last time he'll play relatively small rooms for a while.

Tiggles

He's playing the very smallest room at The Lowry and I'm going to treasure it.

Quote from: Tiggles on October 06, 2023, 08:51:17 AMHe's playing the very smallest room at The Lowry and I'm going to treasure it.

I just rang the Lowry and the tickets go on general sale today at 10:00.

phantom_power

He supported Aunty Donna in Hammersmith last weekend and was very good

Tapiocahead

Just got tickets for Leeds, thanks to this thread.
So....thank you. Kiss kiss

Wezzo

Thanks! Got front row for Bristol.

TheDreamIsOver

Echoing the thanks for the heads up here, got my tickets earlier for the Warwick Arts Centre, can't wait.

Blinder Data

Tour dates:

QuoteFebruary
Friday 2nd: Coventry, Warwick Arts Centre
Tuesday 6th: Dublin, The Sugar Club
Wednesday 7th: Belfast, Blackbox
Friday 9th: Leicester, Firebug
Saturday 17th: London, Hackney Empire
Sunday 18th: Birmingham, Glee Club
Tuesday 20th: Bristol, Redgrave Theatre
Wednesday 21st: Norwich, Playhouse
Saturday 24th: Liverpool, Hot Water

March
Friday 1st: Leeds, City Varieties
Wednesday 6th: Edinburgh, Monkey Barrel
Thursday 7th: Edinburgh, Monkey Barrel
Friday 8th: Edinburgh, Monkey Barrel
Saturday 9th: Edinburgh, Monkey Barrel
Sunday 10th: Edinburgh, Monkey Barrel
Monday 11th: Glasgow, The Stand
Saturday 16th: Reading, South Street Arts
Tuesday 19th: Cardiff, Glee Club
Thursday 21st: Brighton, Komedia
Saturday 23rd: Manchester, The Lowry (studio)
Wednesday 27th: Sheffield, The Leadmill
Thursday 28th: Cambridge, Cambridge Junction

thank you for heads up. will be seeing him in Glasgow. he gets a lot of praise on here so hopeful of a good time!

Bartholomew J Krishna

Another thanks for the heads-up.
Just booked for Leeds.

Tiggles

You're all welcome!

I'm dragging my family along to this. Those ten mins in Edinburgh were priceless (along with how daft the whole thing was).

privatefriend

Thanks for the heads up, got in before the evil taskmaster hoardes.

CaledonianGonzo

A rare opportunity to see him do an hour in Edinburgh at something approaching a reasonable time slot.

her?

Quote from: DrGreggles on October 06, 2023, 08:18:13 AMI get the feeling it might be the last time he'll play relatively small rooms for a while.

He's utterly brilliant but I can't imagine he's likely to find mainstream success any time soon is he? I've recommended Companion, which I'd say is the most straightforward thing he's done, to quite a few people and nobody seems to know what to make of him.

But thanks for the heads up @Tiggles, got my tickets for Birmingham!

Tiggles

I think he has huge appeal in a kind of mad clown type way. People are definitely responding to his whole chaotic-smart vibe on Taskmaster, and now they've got to "know" him a bit it won't be too much of a shock to see him be loopily unpredictable on stage.

kitsofan34

He's clearly aiming to be a popular comedian, albeit part of the alt crowd. He's moved to London in the last year and is regularly appearing on all manner of panel shows (Countdown, Buzzcocks).

Obviously, he's also on Taskmaster at the moment which is the strongest indicator of his intentions.

I struggle to process his stand up and comedy in general with the desire to be a popular comedian, they seem at odds, but I suppose he is nothing but a stranger at the end of the day.

Tiggles

A friend just tried to book tickets for Salford and it has sold out! Smallest Lowry room... surely more dates will be added.

People are finding him funny and endearing on TM, it's a very good showcase for people to get to know and trust his inherent smart silliness.

Tbh I can see him translating well to large audiences. He creates a level of hysteria that big rooms can feed off.

jimboslice

Surprisingly biggish venue for Leeds in the City Varieties (Which looks to be selling well). The likes of Lou Sanders / John Kearns / Sophie Duker were booked at much tinier venues just after their Taskmastering (Hyde Park Book Club / Wardrobe).

Yes, hope he adds a few more in the south. Missed out on Reading and can't make any of the others.

Willies crossed!

edwardfog

Kind of jealous of everyone getting to see him for the first time on this tour. He's my favourite comedian. According to my database 🤖 I've seen him live upwards of 30 times since 2018. Hope everyone enjoys him

Proactive

Never heard of him until a video or two was recommended on YouTube this week, and I recalled seeing the name here. He's pretty good int'ee. I get a bit of a James Acaster vibe from him is that a common observation?

Tiggles

I find I react him more like how I to react to Bob Mortimer at his most surreal/ absurd. He makes me feel giddy and a bit punch-drunk, and I often can't work out why.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Proactive on October 10, 2023, 06:13:03 PMNever heard of him until a video or two was recommended on YouTube this week, and I recalled seeing the name here. He's pretty good int'ee. I get a bit of a James Acaster vibe from him is that a common observation?

Not really.  They both have a slightly lateral approach to joke telling so that - even with a pedestrian seeming topic - the punchline can come from a surprising direction. But I wouldn't have said that they're stylistically all that similar.

iamcoop

Bartholomew J Krishna

Don't come to Newcastle you shit!
(Because I've bought tickets for Leeds now).

Quote from: Proactive on October 10, 2023, 06:13:03 PMNever heard of him until a video or two was recommended on YouTube this week, and I recalled seeing the name here. He's pretty good int'ee. I get a bit of a James Acaster vibe from him is that a common observation?

I first properly saw Campbell about a year ago when Russell Howard (sigh) brought him out for a spot on one of his weak Sky shows I managed to catch by chance. Had heard good things about him before, but he still caught me a bit off guard in that context where I wasn't expecting much good
It's been great seeing him pop up on further mainstream stuff since then, but I do also wonder what his long-term game is going to be here - nobody I was with when the above clip came on thought he was any decent (ofc), and the comment section beneath that upload inevitably doesn't always make for a positive read (despite the influx of people from Taskmaster rightly loving him more recently).

edwardfog

He's always going to be an alternative proposition - that's not unusual. And the UK has a decent track record of supporting talent like Reeves & Mortimer and Harry Hill (who fwiw is the closest established UK comic for my money). I think his game plan is probably to accrue audience and acclaim (which he's been doing very effectively so far) and hopefully spin it into some TV work. Pretty standard. He's filming a pilot with C4 atm and has a lot of support there in particular with their head of comedy.

That was my initial train of thought, but I do get the feeling there's a more of a limit to how far someone like Campbell can go on a bit of TV work these days, particularly here with C4 etc not commissioning so much of late and streaming woes.

Having said all of that, this series of Taskmaster does indeed seem to be the shot in the arm he needed to connect with a slightly wider audience. Hope it leads to more