Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:43:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

British High Street Death List 2020

Started by Blue Jam, January 10, 2020, 01:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

Intu have only themselves to blame, after removing these culturally significant escalators from the centre of the mall, they deserve to go bust!

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8jlx3

Danger Man

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on March 05, 2020, 01:13:13 PM
Ha. Given that intu are on the verge, not sure who they think's going to lend them the money to do that. Have they done anything with the Broadmarsh in Nottingham yet?

They've demolished it. Most of it.

Blue Jam

Paul Calf

Wrong fred

Blumf

Another debt vampire goes down:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/mar/05/payday-lender-peachy-falls-into-administration
QuoteOne of the UK's best-known payday lenders has collapsed into administration – the latest apparent casualty of a crackdown on costly loans.

Peachy was one of the biggest names left in the controversial sector following the demise of Wonga and QuickQuid, and its collapse will deal a blow to customers who claim they were mis-sold loans they could not afford.
Its website had quoted a representative interest rate of 855% APR.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Danger Man on March 05, 2020, 02:11:21 PM
They've demolished it. Most of it.

Well it's a start. Have they announced their very exciting definitely going to happen huge retail anchor client yet?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 05, 2020, 02:24:52 PM
John Lewis in trouble:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51750252

Quote1051. Posted by ellis
1 hour ago
ONLINE purchasing and retail parks IS THE RETAIL CANCER THATS KILLING classic RETAIL SHOPS AND town centre STORES FOR LAST 15 YEARS and is now gathering real momentum.
physical shopping at shops/stores IS TOTALLY HANDICAPPED
running costs of retailer, cost of customer transport , car users which adds parking. BAN SHOPPING ON LINE FROM 8AM -8PM XCEPT EMERGENCY SERVICES. Otherwise death

Christ.

Blumf

Dead beat Lebanon

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-51785690
QuoteLebanon is to default on a foreign debt payment for the first time in its history as the country struggles with a major financial crisis.

Prime Minister Hassan Diab said Lebanon would not be making a bond payment of $1.2bn (£900m) due on Monday.

"The debt has become bigger than Lebanon can bear, and bigger than the ability of the Lebanese to meet interest payments," Mr Diab said.

bgmnts

I remember buying my first ever egg cups from Lebanon.

Blumf

Slightly more high-street-y news.

Saudi Arabia and Russia have kicked off in the oil markets, taking the price down to $30.

https://notayesmanseconomics.wordpress.com/2020/03/09/welcome-to-the-oil-price-shock-of-2020/

I think the theory is, they're trying to squeeze out the North American shale oil producers, whose production costs are around $50 a barrel. But, because everything is interconnected and loaded up with debt in this neo-lib paradise, that's going to fuck up lots of the financial system in the process, which is already struggling with that virus thing we've all been hearing about. Expect shit to get (even more) depressing.

Summed up in a sound: Nuuuurrrrhhhh!!

evilcommiedictator

Alberon

I read today that even if they take down the US shale companies the infrastructure will remain intact and bought out will return unladen with debt. Short of keeping the price of oil permanently low they can't stop them.

thenoise

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on March 06, 2020, 10:28:00 AM
Christ.

High street stores should receive a boost from online shopping 'buy and collect' services, together with the fact that the postal service is irreversibly fucked after privatisation. But they won't, because it is absolute dogshit, barely works takes forever and when there are mistakes the staff don't want to know. Especially you, John fucking Lewis.

petril

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 05, 2020, 11:42:22 AM
English people can't do malls properly.

The listless, spiritless, catatonic ennui is a North American speciality.

(Rhyme not intentional)

yeah but do the yanks have a guy who fixes watch straps but you can't work out what the fuck his retail unit's core business is? that's what England is desperately trying to throw away here

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Alberon on March 10, 2020, 04:53:01 PM
I read today that even if they take down the US shale companies the infrastructure will remain intact and bought out will return unladen with debt. Short of keeping the price of oil permanently low they can't stop them.

When we have all switched to renewable energy the price of oil will plummet and you'll hardly be able to give it away.

Slightly more on topic, Cumbernauld's legendary brutalist shopping centre faces demolition because apparently North Lanarkshire Council has decided there's no point in keeping the town centres of Cumbernauld, Motherwell, Airdrie, etc, as primarily shopping destinations, and "mixed use" is the future, although what the fuck else you could do in central Cumbernauld I've no idea. (Maybe they're hoping for legalization of drug consumption rooms.)

Head Gardener

saw this pretty ambitious price for a ladies coat in a charity shop today, especially has it has "a small hole in the collar"!

pigamus

They must have a big problem with people nicking stuff like that.

thenoise

Quote from: Head Gardener on March 16, 2020, 06:37:50 PM
especially has it has "a small hole in the collar"!

Ideal for someone with a small head.

Laura Ashley have called in the administrators.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on March 17, 2020, 12:47:33 PM
Laura Ashley have called in the administrators.

This is probably the first retail casualty where I responded with the classic "thought she was already dead" reaction. I know Laura Ashley herself is actually dead, but you know what I mean.

Paul Calf

If Lashers have gone bust, time is running short for Britain's aspiring lower-middle classes.

Puce Moment

Laura Ashley? Who next? Cath Kidston?

dissolute ocelot

Laura Ashley's recently history is truly bizarre: they're owned by a Malaysian company, MUI, that according to Wikipedia also has a sideline in televangelism. To quote Wikipedia's page on MUI Group:
QuoteThe company also purchased evangelist Jim Bakker's bankrupt Heritage USA Christian resort and theme park in Fort Mill, South Carolina, in 1991 and operated it for a number of years under its subsidiary, Regent Carolina Corporation, before selling the property in the mid-2000s. In recent years, MUI relocated Laura Ashley's United States corporate headquarters to a building at the former Heritage USA site that once served as Jim Bakker's PTL ministry headquarters.
Who'd've thought Laura Ashley was so interesting!?

Ian Drunken Smurf

Quote from: Puce Moment on March 18, 2020, 12:49:42 PM

Please let it be Cath Kidston. Prime "shit 4 cunts" brand.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Puce Moment on March 18, 2020, 12:49:42 PM

Gotta be The White Company. Never understood their USP, selling overpriced white stuff, whats that all about?

beanheadmcginty

Alberon

Eat closing for good.

QuoteThe struggling Eat sandwich chain will disappear permanently from the UK high street after its owners, Pret Manger, closed the doors of its remaining 90 branches.

Most high-street coffee shop and restaurant chains have announced temporary closures because of government restrictions on social distancing, but it was confirmed on Monday that Eat's closure was permanent.

The company tweeted: "After 24 years of creating, making and serving real food, it is time for us to say goodbye. Thank you to all of our wonderful customers – we've loved every minute of our journey."

The chain was acquired by its much larger rival Pret a Manger in May 2019 for an undisclosed sum as a route to rapidly expanding its own standalone vegetarian brand, Veggie Pret, which sells only vegetarian and vegan food.

The majority of Eat's outlets were in London but it also had sites around the UK including in Birmingham and Manchester, as well as airport outlets in Bristol, Edinburgh and Heathrow. Franchise partners will continue to operate outlets in Paris Gare du Nord and Spain.