Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:46:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Terms that get bandied about willy-nilly

Started by Depressed Beyond Tables, September 22, 2018, 06:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 22, 2018, 08:31:06 PM
The last year?  It's been a regular thread since the beginning of CaB. What's not to like?

My most hated phrase.

Well, if you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

New page can't you take a joke?

Pingers

"I'm past the infectious stage". Said by people with no medical knowledge whatsoever.

thenoise

'X is a thing now' - meaningless, childish and assumption of conformist and anxious attitude of it's audience.  'We've noticed some people acting/talking in a certain way, and we are bringing your attention to it' is more honest, although makes its banality more clear.  Also, it's not news, and you're a cunt.

'can't believe X is still happening in 2018' - don't get this at all.  2018 is full of awful cunts acting dreadfully, surely everybody knows this.  Why are you pretending to be surprised that 2018 isn't full of well behaved people?  Does it make you feel better to convince yourself that the past was even worse?

chveik

Lord Mandrake

People or teams 'going deep' into sports tournaments.

lebowskibukowski

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on October 02, 2018, 04:27:29 PM
People or teams 'going deep' into sports tournaments.

And another sports one, a 'knowledegable crowd'. See also 'the championship rounds' for any boxing match going past the fourth round, and 'teak tough' for any durable East European/Mexican/African journeyman boxer

Ferris

Continuing with sports, any time a soccer man scores 2 (even if the team loses) he is guaranteed to be "at the double" in the headline of the guardian. A few weeks ago, 3 different players were at the double. It was mad.

greencalx

"crashing out" is the only way to leave a tournament.

manticore

Quote from: Jockice on October 02, 2018, 06:23:30 AM
Well, if you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Big 60s thing, hope not too many people still say it. You can't divide people up into two camps like that, it's silly.

'Deconstruct'.

'Interrogate.'

shh

Quote from: manticore on October 05, 2018, 11:42:43 PM
Big 60s thing, hope not too many people still say it. You can't divide people up into two camps like that, it's silly.

The modern equivalent would be 'ally'. Also, 'toxic' has broken free from its masculine mooring and is careering downstream smashing into any noun in its path.

The fact that Harry Kane has never scored a header in an away game in which Gary Neville has also taken a first-half foul throw is not a 'stat'.

RedRevolver

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 22, 2018, 08:46:39 PM
No, I've never heard a bloke being called 'feisty'

Fair enough you've never heard a real world example, but a quick Google of 'feisty' and the example used is a male pronoun. It also defines feisty as being as being used in particular towards people of a smaller stature; women tend to be smaller than men, hence it being used more to describe women, probably by a man.

Anyway, I'd throw in 'empathy' in there. Very few people actually demonstrate a working understanding of what it is whilst those that do get demonised as bad because they've dared to actually try and understand someone else's motives.

gilbertharding

Quote from: thenoise on October 02, 2018, 03:51:06 PM
'can't believe X is still happening in 2018' - don't get this at all.  2018 is full of awful cunts acting dreadfully, surely everybody knows this.  Why are you pretending to be surprised that 2018 isn't full of well behaved people?  Does it make you feel better to convince yourself that the past was even worse?

2018's gonna 2018.