Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:58:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek 4 by Quentin Tarantino?

Started by Alberon, December 06, 2017, 10:16:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

Going by that news article they still haven't signed the cast yet so I'm doubtful it will go ahead.

Why is Abrams so interested in Trek again? It wouldn't have anything to do with screwing up the Star Wars film franchise and being left with just this?

phantom_power

I am pretty sure Abrams doesn't have "just this"

Alberon

There was always the impression - possibly stated somewhere by him - that he only did Star Trek as he didn't have Star Wars.

There are various films still in development, but is he still involved with Star Wars?

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: phantom_power on February 16, 2022, 10:34:29 AMI don't know what the popular opinion on Beyond is. I know it didn't get great reviews or box office. I think it is my favourite of the new lot and though stylistically different to classic Trek I think it is the one closest in spirit to the original series, It seems to get the level of fan service right compared to the first two which push it a bit too hard (par for the course with Abrams these days)

It's the only Kelvin movie where the crew feels anything like the TOS crew and not cardboard cutouts with the original crew's name-tags on them. And it didn't painfully rip off the Wrath of Khan like the previous one. So it works from that point of view.

Did have to laugh at them going on about the bold step to 'deconstruct' Star Trek by blowing up the Enterprise. It's not like 2 Enterprises have been blown up in movies already and it's been heavily damaged in several more or anything...

greenman

The Last Starfighter is what he truly wanted to remake.

Mister Six

Quote from: phantom_power on February 16, 2022, 10:57:15 AMI know it makes me a cunt for shit but I love the use of Beastie Boys as well

That was in the first film too, to be fair.

I've only seen each of them once, but I thought the first one was good fun, the second abysmal and the third decent - with an interest in using sci-fi concepts to generate interesting action scenes and at least a nod to old Trek's morality - but ultimately forgettable.

The problem they have, I think, is that unlike the TOS movies they don't have years of affection built up for these performances, and unlike the Marvel movies they're taking forever to get them out there, so there's no momentum but also no longing from the audience during the gaps (exacerbated because Discovery and Picard are basically doing shit action-movie Trek with film-size budgets on a yearly basis, so you can get your fix there too). Which might be okay if the films were weighty and affecting and left audiences with something to ponder or remain teary-eyed over.

But instead - pop! - a Star Trek film appears, does an action thing, is quite fun and then disappears again.

They should come up with a really great three-film arc, film then simultaneously and roll them out one year after the next. Like LotR in space.

Famous Mortimer

Or they should come up with a TV show which keeps to what people loved about Trek before. Or do an entirely new show in a new universe with new ideas. I'm as big a Trek fan as anyone, but boy oh boy do I wish they'd try something else.

mothman

I really like Beyond. For me it's top three (I think I've said this in this thread already, maybe more than once), not just the best of the Kelvins - which would hardly a high bar, '09 left me cold and Into D is bottom three overall in my listing.

If this happens, it'll mean there'll have been more time between FOUR Kelvin films than there were from start to finish of the SIX original cast films.

I also liked the use of Beastie Boys in Beyond, it was a nice call-back to the first film and being established as something the young Kirk listened to. It's just a shame that impact was diminished by its use in the catastrophically-misjudged teaser trailer.

Malcy

Quote from: mothman on February 16, 2022, 08:23:54 PMI really like Beyond. For me it's top three (I think I've said this in this thread already, maybe more than once), not just the best of the Kelvins - which would hardly a high bar, '09 left me cold and Into D is bottom three overall in my listing.

If this happens, it'll mean there'll have been more time between FOUR Kelvin films than there were from start to finish of the SIX original cast films.

I also liked the use of Beastie Boys in Beyond, it was a nice call-back to the first film and being established as something the young Kirk listened to. It's just a shame that impact was diminished by its use in the catastrophically-misjudged teaser trailer.

Out of interest, if Beyond is in your top 3 what is your top 3?

Into Darkness is an abomination as far as I'm concerned and after a lengthy wait at a midnight screening which was nearly 2am didn't help my very vocal in-cinema "oh fuck right off" statements!

I saw the 09 film 3 or 4 times in the cinema. I had issues with it but it was a joy to see Trek in the big screen again. I think the last one I saw in a cinema was First Contact. Have only ever seen Generation, FC, TMP and the Kelvin movies on the big screen.

Was also great that each time I went to the reboot I took a different person along from fans to casual to please no no Star Trek and all enjoyed it loads.

I just think that they've had their time. The cast have always said they would like to do more but the idea of doing it without Anton Yelchin makes them less receptive to it.

mothman

QuoteOut of interest, if Beyond is in your top 3 what is your top 3?

1. ST:FC
2. ST2:TWoK
3. ST:B

I think I did once post my full list here somewhere but can never find it. Maybe I'll try again.

mothman

Also, an article which has a bit of detail - not much, really - about the abandoned Tarantino Trek:

https://variety.com/feature/quentin-tarantino-star-trek-explained-1235184059/

Makes me think of Ken Loach's Superman for some reason...