Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:51:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious Things You 0nly Just Realised - 2020

Started by Icehaven, January 02, 2020, 09:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaDanketies

Quote from: Paul Calf on December 03, 2020, 05:32:05 PM
That sounds like a project I once worked on.

Richard Dawkins was on it like "yeah fuck you creationists, check out this giraffe neck, boom, mike drop" and I was like "ain't no creationists watching this show, Dick Dawk."

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 03, 2020, 05:22:31 PM
Imagine what we'd know if we successfully demystified their anus'.

Tautology, mate. To successfully demystify a giraffe's anus is to know it.

Dex Sawash

Couldn't God make things have similar bones?

Menu

Quote from: JaDanketies on December 03, 2020, 05:33:39 PM
Richard Dawkins was on it like "yeah fuck you creationists, check out this giraffe neck, boom, mike drop" and I was like "ain't no creationists watching this show, Dick Dawk."

Ha ha! But also they'd just say, "Well, God did all that." And they'd have a point(from their perspective). If you believe there's a higher power then that's not the maddest thing you'd have to explain.

Icehaven

The title of the TV show (that I've never seen but have heard it being mocked on several other TV shows) "Grey's Anatomy" is a pun on the classic medical text "Gray's Anatomy".

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: icehaven on December 04, 2020, 11:45:37 AM
The title of the TV show (that I've never seen but have heard it being mocked on several other TV shows) "Grey's Anatomy" is a pun on the classic medical text "Gray's Anatomy".

I knew it was named after the medical text, because I hadn't even noticed they were spelt differently.

idunnosomename

destroy comes from de-struere, that is, un build

NoSleep

touchingcloth

Sonny_Jim

sirhenry

sirhenry

The taxi company was not founded by a frenchman named Hubert.

Spoiler alert
Sorry, I just wanted to make everyone's internal voice put on a Clouseau accent.
[close]

NoSleep

Cerys

touchingcloth

The hectare is a metric unit of measurement.

I've only ever heard it described in terms of being 2.47 acres, but only really from my parents' generation who are still sometimes in the habit of converting figures from old money.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 05, 2020, 10:43:54 AM
The hectare is a metric unit of measurement.

I've only ever heard it described in terms of being 2.47 acres, but only really from my parents' generation who are still sometimes in the habit of converting figures from old money.

A zazare is 1.7 acres, or 1.2 kikis.

That's one for the youngsters.

petril

touchingcloth

A Bat Mitzvah isn't how the thing which sounds like "bar mitzvah" is spelled. There is a thing spelled AND pronounced like "bar mitzvah", and it's when a boy gets his cock chopped off. When a girl gets her fanny mutilated that's spelled and pronounced "bar mitzvah"

Mazal tov!

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: NoSleep on December 05, 2020, 10:09:59 AMGod created evolution.

Unfortunately there's quite a lump of Christianity who reject this approach, as there's a bunch of verses in Genesis that go on about how God created all the creatures "each according to their kind" which apparently means he couldn't have used evolution to do it.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 05, 2020, 08:41:20 PM
A Bat Mitzvah isn't how the thing which sounds like "bar mitzvah" is spelled. There is a thing spelled AND pronounced like "bar mitzvah", and it's when a boy gets his cock chopped off. When a girl gets her fanny mutilated that's spelled and pronounced "bar mitzvah"

Mazal tov!

?  But you do articulate the first t in bat mitzvah.

olliebean

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on December 05, 2020, 09:40:45 PM
Unfortunately there's quite a lump of Christianity who reject this approach, as there's a bunch of verses in Genesis that go on about how God created all the creatures "each according to their kind" which apparently means he couldn't have used evolution to do it.

Quote from: Genesis, Chapter 124. And God said, "Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind." And it was so.
25. God made the wild animals according to their kinds, the livestock according to their kinds, and all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. And as a joke, God gave all His creatures plentiful spurious similarities and correlations of biology such as would arise through evolution by natural selection. And God felt sure that people would see the funny side of his prank and not let it get out of hand. And God saw that it was good.

Ambient Sheep

Quite. :-)

It does seem a particularly specific thing to say, though, doesn't it?  "Each thing according to its kind, absolutely no morphing allowed."  Like they felt the need to emphasise that.

Which unfortunately just gives the Creationists further ammo: "You see, God told them to write that down in order to help prove to people 2500 years later that evolution is wrong."

NoSleep

God told them to write that down as a test of people's intelligence.

Cerys

If God created us, then the only reason a test of intelligence would be necessary would be if he expected us to have changed to something other than his prototype.  Changed, or ... evolved.  Do you see?

Ferris

NoSleep

Quote from: Cerys on December 06, 2020, 10:57:54 AM
If God created us, then the only reason a test of intelligence would be necessary would be if he expected us to have changed to something other than his prototype.  Changed, or ... evolved.  Do you see?

But evolution provides the opportunity for a diverse range of intelligence.

Cerys

Precisely!  Creating Man in God's mage but then testing later versions' intelligence fits in with the idea that humanity was created to evolve.

petril

I think a being as knowledgable and grumpy as God wouldn't want to spend all their time micromanaging every living thing, so they'd probably just design stuff to adapt over generations and deal with their situations as they go

NoSleep

Quote from: Cerys on December 06, 2020, 02:37:37 PM
Precisely!  Creating Man in God's mage but then testing later versions' intelligence fits in with the idea that humanity was created to evolve.

We're more of a fluke rather than some logical peak of evolution (the origins of placenta are bizarre, for example). I don't think he particularly planned for creatures debating whether or not he existed.

Gulftastic

If you sort of spoonerise the name of the band Green Day, you get Deen Gray.