Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:12:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious Things You 0nly Just Realised - 2020

Started by Icehaven, January 02, 2020, 09:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy147

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 05, 2020, 08:41:20 PM
A Bat Mitzvah isn't how the thing which sounds like "bar mitzvah" is spelled. There is a thing spelled AND pronounced like "bar mitzvah", and it's when a boy gets his cock chopped off. When a girl gets her fanny mutilated that's spelled and pronounced "bar mitzvah"

Mazal tov!

The Jewish circumcision ceremony (for boys only) is the brit milah.
Bar/bat mitzvah is a coming-of-age ceremony for boys/girls which doesn't involve any mutilation.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Doesn't really apply cause I realised it about 5 years ago but fuck it - 'Abbot' from Abbot and Costello is not Russ Abbot.

Brian Freeze

HP sauce yeah?

Houses of Parliament sauce innit.

That's why the picture is on the bottle. Bloody hell.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Andy147 on December 06, 2020, 04:27:58 PM
The Jewish circumcision ceremony (for boys only) is the brit milah.
Bar/bat mitzvah is a coming-of-age ceremony for boys/girls which doesn't involve any mutilation.

I assumed he was joking about that.

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on December 06, 2020, 04:40:09 PM
Doesn't really apply cause I realised it about 5 years ago but fuck it - 'Abbot' from Abbot and Costello is not Russ Abbot.

I assume you are joking about that.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Gulftastic on December 06, 2020, 04:27:33 PM
If you sort of spoonerise the name of the band Green Day, you get Deen Gray.

... which sounds suspiciously like the name of actor Dean Cain

pigamus

Quote from: NoSleep on December 06, 2020, 12:12:10 PM
But evolution provides the opportunity for a diverse range of intelligence.

Not in my house.

Paul Calf

petril

Quote from: JaDanketies on December 06, 2020, 04:58:45 PM
... which sounds suspiciously like the name of actor Dean Cain

and snookerist Dene O'Kane

JaDanketies

Quote from: petrilTanaka on December 06, 2020, 08:48:29 PM
and snookerist Dene O'Kane

You never see Dean Cain and Dene O'Kane in the same room together.

DrGreggles

NoSleep

Quote from: pigamus on December 06, 2020, 05:08:14 PM
Not in my house.

The emphasis is on the diverse rather than the intelligence, so your house is well in.

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: Gulftastic on December 06, 2020, 04:27:33 PM
If you sort of spoonerise the name of the band Green Day

Dean Gray

How can 2005 be 15 years ago? Feels like 7 or eight at the most.

Icehaven

Quote from: JaDanketies on December 06, 2020, 08:59:56 PM
You never see Dean Cain and Dene O'Kane in the same room together.

That's because Dene O'Kane is busy coming 3rd in Jason Donovan lookalike contests and Dean Cain is busy not being famous anymore.

Gulftastic

Quote from: icehaven on December 07, 2020, 05:27:12 PM
That's because Dene O'Kane is busy coming 3rd in Jason Donovan lookalike contests and Dean Cain is busy not being famous anymore.

He's done a Scott Baio and become a right wing cunt.

touchingcloth

"Fuselage" doesn't mean anything along the lines of "place where all the fuel is", but "spindle-shaped". I don't know why I ever thought the fuel thing - I don't know for sure where a plane's fuel actually is kept, but the fuselage doesn't seem like it's necessarily the best place.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 07, 2020, 08:19:38 PM
I don't know for sure where a plane's fuel actually is kept, but the fuselage doesn't seem like it's necessarily the best place.
Mostly in the wings in larger planes. The wings have to be a certain shape to be aerodynamic, and no point filling them with tiny people lying in the dark. Also, the aerodynamic lift acts on them, so it makes sense to make them the heavy bit.

touchingcloth

They should cash the wings the fuselage, right!!!

Sonny_Jim

Spike Lee and Spike Jonze are two different people.  For ages I thought it was weird the same guy who directed Malcolm X also directed Being John Malkovich.

buzby

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on December 07, 2020, 10:01:22 PM
Mostly in the wings in larger planes. The wings have to be a certain shape to be aerodynamic, and no point filling them with tiny people lying in the dark. Also, the aerodynamic lift acts on them, so it makes sense to make them the heavy bit.
It's more to do with the wings usually being positioned on or near the center of gravity. That means as the fuel is used up it doesn't cause a major fore or aft trim change. The fuel in the wings also acts as a mass damper, reducing wing flutter and the resulting fatigue it causes.

Here's the tank layout of a standard Airbus A320:

The centre tank is inside the main structural wing box where the front and rear wing spars (the main structural members of the wings) pass though the fuselage. The wing tanks are also formed between the front and rear spars. The fuel is supplied in a set sequence from the centre tank first, then the inner tanks and finally the outer tanks (the vent/surge tanks are used for pressure relief and fuel dumping, and do not normally carry fuel). The outer tanks are used last to maintain the mass damping effect until most of the weight of the fuel has been used.

Longer range aircraft usually have extra tanks within the fueslage, in front of and behind the wing box/centre tank (or in very large aircraft like the 747 and A380, inside the horizontal stabiliser/tailplane) The fuel in these is pumped into the centre tank first, and the level of these tanks is carefully managed to maintain the fore and aft trim for the most efficient flight profile.

Dr Trouser

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on December 07, 2020, 10:01:22 PM

Things that I have found in the centre and wing tanks of A310s and A380s during 4C checks;

A screw
A watch
A screwdriver
A maglite
An inspection mirror
A pair of trousers
A stepladder
A family of feral cats

studpuppet

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on December 08, 2020, 10:01:14 AM
Spike Lee and Spike Jonze are two different people.  For ages I thought it was weird the same guy who directed Malcolm X also directed Being John Malkovich.

Page 61, mate - keep up!

Quote from: studpuppet on October 05, 2020, 12:10:20 AM
Spike Jonze is a bespectacled white guy, and not Spike Lee.

kalowski

Quote from: buzby on December 08, 2020, 10:36:20 AM
It's more to do with the wings usually being positioned on or near the center of gravity. That means as the fuel is used up it doesn't cause a major fore or aft trim change.
Reading this, it's so obvious, but I wouldn't have thought of it. I love a beautiful solution like this.

Replies From View

The "namaste" thing some people use to sign off their emails is the same "narma stay" thing I had assumed I'd never seen written down.

Replies From View

Quote from: studpuppet on December 08, 2020, 11:15:02 AM
Page 61, mate - keep up!

Where there is no mention of the City Slickers, I suspect.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Replies From View on December 09, 2020, 07:57:55 AM
The "namaste" thing some people use to sign off their emails is the same "narma stay" thing I had assumed I'd never seen written down.

Narma Stay is that grimes man who pops up on panel shows now and then.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 09, 2020, 08:30:17 AM
Narma Stay is that grimes man who pops up on panel shows now and then.

Elon Musk has been on panel shows?

If you make your squash drink with hot water from the kettle it makes you feel like a grownup.

petril

Quote from: DistressedArea on December 09, 2020, 04:22:47 PM
If you make your squash drink with hot water from the kettle it makes you feel like a grownup.

like a lemsip but you're not getting a lie in to watch all the schools programmes and turnabout

touchingcloth