Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:24:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Is there a word for this?

Started by Underturd, March 20, 2024, 12:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Underturd

I was just reading an email from my mum and she said next time they visit they'll bring some old photos of my grandparents. And I think I'd like that because it would be good to see photos of my grandparents when they were young. Would be like nostalgia for someone else's life, but I don't know if that's a thing. If it is a thing, is there a word for it?

bgmnts

Cuellar

Paedophilia

EDIT: Wrong thread, sorry.

Icehaven

Jemandanderesnostalgie. Nah I'm kidding, does it fall into the hauntology bracket? I've done this a few times recently with family, gone through piles of photos from the 30s up to the 90s, it's surprisingly interesting. One thing that struck me was how a couple of the photos that I must have seen a few times over the years were, in my head, actual memories, as in I remember doing it or being there, but my memory looks exactly like the photo so I probably don't actually remember it at all and the "memory" is just from seeing the photo a few times in the intervening years. One in particular was of one of my cousins in a nightclub in the 80s, and I obviously wouldn't have been there because I'd have been about 5 (plus I've never been to a nightclub with that cousin in my life, never mind when I was 5) however when I've thought what nightclubs were like in the 80s I've often had a near exact image of that so I just thought it was from a TV show or going to Reflex 20 years ago or something but no, it's from that photo.

Inevitably we ended up speculating as to how things like this will be different in 30, 40, 50 years when most people will never have taken or possessed a physical photo in their lives and there won't be these family albums that get passed down/around, but they'll all have digital access to unlimited amounts of photos on any device they choose and things like holidays, parties etc. will have virtually every second of them documented rather than just a few rolls worth.

Captain Z

Quote from: Icehaven on March 20, 2024, 12:58:04 PMInevitably we ended up speculating as to how things like this will be different in 30, 40, 50 years when most people will never have taken or possessed a physical photo in their lives

Only loosely related, but I recently went through a load of old physical photographs of my grandfather, and wanting to see one them in more detail I absent-mindedly tried to expand it using my two fingers as if it was on a digital device. I joked about what I'd just tried to do, and my mum said she'd done exactly the same thing the day before.

Underturd

Quote from: bgmnts on March 20, 2024, 12:41:42 PMVicarious nostalgia, perhaps.
That sounds like it could be it, thanks.

Quote from: Icehaven on March 20, 2024, 12:58:04 PMOne thing that struck me was how a couple of the photos that I must have seen a few times over the years were, in my head, actual memories, as in I remember doing it or being there, but my memory looks exactly like the photo so I probably don't actually remember it at all and the "memory" is just from seeing the photo a few times in the intervening years.

Oh I know what you mean with that, I've got a photo of me and my brother sitting on a beach with my mum, and I remember being there, but I'm only about one in the photo. So I must be making up the memory from seeing the photo I think.

Blumf

lankyguy95

Anemoia is the word that means nostalgia for a time you've never experienced. Discovered that one a couple of years back.

Icehaven

Quote from: lankyguy95 on March 20, 2024, 01:36:41 PMAnemoia is the word that means nostalgia for a time you've never experienced. Discovered that one a couple of years back.

That's much better than my made up German one. Needs subsections though, feeling fake nostalgia for the life of your family before you were born is different to feeling fake nostalgia about riding a skateboard to an American high school in the 1980s when you actually grew up in the West Midlands in the 2000s.

Underturd

Quote from: lankyguy95 on March 20, 2024, 01:36:41 PMAnemoia is the word that means nostalgia for a time you've never experienced. Discovered that one a couple of years back.

Hey, thanks so much for that, it's completely new to me!

Cloud

Buelligan

Bogies is what they called nostalgia when I was at school.  HTH.

Underturd

Ray Travez

I thought The Meaning of Liff might have something on this, but it doesn't. Nearest it's got-

Aberystwyth (noun) A nostalgic yearning which is in itself more pleasant than the thing being yearned for.

Glebe

shoulders

Quote from: Underturd on March 20, 2024, 12:38:17 PMI was just reading an email from my mum and she said next time they visit they'll bring some old photos of my grandparents. And I think I'd like that because it would be good to see photos of my grandparents when they were young. Would be like nostalgia for someone else's life, but I don't know if that's a thing. If it is a thing, is there a word for it?

The Germans do have a word for this, unsurprisingly.

Bollocks

Edit, oh I see someone made a similar WORSE joke

touchingcloth

I keep getting ideas that a lot of the teachers and adults I knew when I was very young and who I thought were sad acts were probably actually a GBoLs, and it's sad that a) I can't remember their names to look them up and find out, or b) meet them when they were they age when they knew them and I'm my current sad act self.

To coin a phrase, you can't go home again while staying the same as you are now or bring the people from home to here and now but the same as they were from home.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 20, 2024, 10:08:18 PMI keep getting ideas that a lot of the teachers and adults I knew when I was very young and who I thought were sad acts were probably actually a GBoLs, and it's sad that a) I can't remember their names to look them up and find out, or b) meet them when they were they age when they knew them and I'm my current sad act self.

To coin a phrase, you can't go home again while staying the same as you are now or bring the people from home to here and now but the same as they were from home.

There's a certain age you get to when you start to realise stuff like that and that all of those people, everyone you know, will be dead and forgotten entirely in a relatively short time.

How d'ya like them apples!

touchingcloth

Quote from: jamiefairlie on March 20, 2024, 10:18:32 PMThere's a certain age you get to when you start to realise stuff like that and that all of those people, everyone you know, will be dead and forgotten entirely in a relatively short time.

How d'ya like them apples!

All of human civilisation - nay, all evidence of the existence of the entire human species - will be contained within about a 5mm layer of the geologic record.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 20, 2024, 10:23:09 PMAll of human civilisation - nay, all evidence of the existence of the entire human species - will be contained within about a 5mm layer of the geologic record.

Full of plastic

Icehaven

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 20, 2024, 10:08:18 PMI keep getting ideas that a lot of the teachers and adults I knew when I was very young and who I thought were sad acts were probably actually a GBoLs, and it's sad that a) I can't remember their names to look them up and find out, or b) meet them when they were they age when they knew them and I'm my current sad act self.

Fucks with my head to think here in my mid 40s I'm now around the same age or older than most of my friend's parents when I was at school, and quite a lot of the teachers.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Icehaven on March 21, 2024, 01:40:16 PMFucks with my head to think here in my mid 40s I'm now around the same age or older than most of my friend's parents when I was at school, and quite a lot of the teachers.

Especially junior teachers. They all seemed impossibly old when I was in school, even towards the end of my education, but in hindsight a lot of them were probably barely done with their PGCEs if not still in the middle of studying them. I can't think why schools don't make a habit of pointing out to students which of their staff are still in training.

Mr Vegetables

The original meaning of nostalgia arguably covers this anyway, looking at it— the pain of returning to the history that you come from