Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:46:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Primark

Started by shiftwork2, March 23, 2024, 12:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Quote from: madhair60 on March 23, 2024, 02:18:52 PMi don't even own a belt... i don't know why anyone would

Give a man a belt and you belt him for a day...

Pink Gregory

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on March 23, 2024, 02:31:55 PMIS IT ETHICAL FOR ME TO SHAG YOUR MA

if she consents, mate.  Then and only then.

flotemysost

Managed to (mostly) successfully kick the fast fashion habit by buying the majority of what I wear from charity shops these days (not trying to clamber atop some sort of ethical pedestal here btw; I'm just lucky to live near some gooduns and it sates my magpie-like urge for novelty).

Mostly feels like you're doing a Good Thing, but then sometimes you get those dubious charity shops in aid of some organisation you've never heard of before and you do wonder what on earth it's funding. There's a particularly chaotic one in Bermondsey called HOTRIC CHARITY SHOP and whenever I go past it I always think "Who even is Hot Ric, and why does he need my charity?".

(have checked and it's a church mission thing apparently, as I expect a lot of these are)

Vodkafone

Quote from: flotemysost on March 24, 2024, 12:42:54 PMManaged to (mostly) successfully kick the fast fashion habit by buying the majority of what I wear from charity shops these days (not trying to clamber atop some sort of ethical pedestal here btw; I'm just lucky to live near some gooduns and it sates my magpie-like urge for novelty).

Mostly feels like you're doing a Good Thing, but then sometimes you get those dubious charity shops in aid of some organisation you've never heard of before and you do wonder what on earth it's funding. There's a particularly chaotic one in Bermondsey called HOTRIC CHARITY SHOP and whenever I go past it I always think "Who even is Hot Ric, and why does he need my charity?".

(have checked and it's a church mission thing apparently, as I expect a lot of these are)

I always have a snigger at Islamic Relief, because it sounds like a halal knocking shop and because I'm ridiculous.

imitationleather

Galloway wants to bring Primark to Rochdale, I hear.

Glebe

I buy clothes in Penneys (Ireland name for Primark - they're rebadged it y'fool!) from time to time, but seeing 'Made in Bangladesh/Myanmar' and the like on T-shirts and shit seems a bit iffy, although Primark have an ethics policy but I dunno if it's any cop.

mippy

From what I can tell, when buying from the high street the price you pay isn't really an indicator of the people making it getting better conditions. Your £2.50 Primark tee isn't likely to be much less ethical than the £10 one from M+S or the £25 one from Superdry. Unless you're buying second-hand or specifically from a fair trade retailer/one that manufactures in the UK, and even then there are ethical issues. Read a book about the clothing industry a few days ago that basically explained how there's no ethical consumption, not even making your own, because you don't know how the fabric you're cutting and sewing was farmed and dyed.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Glebe on March 25, 2024, 01:35:31 PMI buy clothes in Penneys (Ireland name for Primark - they're rebadged it y'fool!) from time to time, but seeing 'Made in Bangladesh/Myanmar' and the like on T-shirts and shit seems a bit iffy, although Primark have an ethics policy but I dunno if it's any cop.

Penneys was the original name right? It opened in Hamilton in the mid 70s under that name and only changed to Primark later.

One of the few real shops left in the rotting 60s brutalist concrete shopping 'precinct'.

Glebe

Quote from: jamiefairlie on March 25, 2024, 03:52:55 PMPenneys was the original name right? It opened in Hamilton in the mid 70s under that name and only changed to Primark later.

Hat slightly fucked by that. Not to be confused with America's JCPenney of course.

Some Penneys ad nostalgia:

madhair60

whats your problem with bangladesh. it is a fine country.