Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,803
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:20:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fearne Cotton is a massive tit

Started by Custard, March 06, 2011, 02:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Still Not George

Quote from: Utter Shit on March 08, 2011, 02:15:53 PMFor some reason my area seems to be a real breeding ground for celebrities of various sorts. All these lot are my generation and from my area...

-Dev Patel (Slumdog Millionaire)
-Fearne Cotton
-Kate Nash
-Tom Fletcher (McFly)
-Scouting for Girls
-Jerome Thomas (footballer and professional arsehole)
-Jay Sean
-Theo Walcott

Also a number of less recognisable footballers like Adrian Mariappa, John-Joe O'Toole and Ciaran Clark. It's weird because you're talking about a tiny area that all these lot are from, is this a similar occurrence for others or is there something in the Harrow water other than a higher-than-average amount of pollutants?

No, there's just a nest of lizard-people near you.

edit: FUCK YOU NEW PAGE

The Duck Man

Quote from: Utter Shit on March 08, 2011, 02:15:53 PMAlso a number of less recognisable footballers like Adrian Mariappa, John-Joe O'Toole
Ah, Watford's finest. Well, O'Toole isn't anymore. He apparently likes metal, and is thus regarded with fear and suspicion by other footballers.

Custard

Quote from: Retinend on March 07, 2011, 10:39:50 PM
is the broken image one of Fearne Cotton's tits?

It was a delightful picture of Ms Cotton dressed up, quite literally, as a massive tit, for a breast marathon. Or something.

TinyPic however, are clearly massive cunts. Hur, see what i did there!

I should add that although I'm not a fan of the woman's presenting skills (who is though, really?), i think she's harmless enough. I certainly don't hate her, anyway. I don't find her very attractive either. So, you know, for me she's just, well, sorta there.

Utter Shit

Quote from: The Duck Man on March 08, 2011, 03:57:27 PM
Ah, Watford's finest. Well, O'Toole isn't anymore. He apparently likes metal, and is thus regarded with fear and suspicion by other footballers.
Dunno about him but Adrian Mariappa is a good lad, one of my mates was one of his best pals at school. I know it's the old cliché but we played football with him a few times and he didn't stand out at all. Whereas a young kid called Junior Osbourne who was going out with my mate's cousin was fucking unbelievable (he was about fourteen and running rings round us, we were in our late teens), yet he's currently without a club after being released by Watford and failing to make the grade at Aldershot. Funny how these things work out.

The Duck Man

Quote from: Utter Shit on March 08, 2011, 04:33:31 PMWhereas a young kid called Junior Osbourne who was going out with my mate's cousin was fucking unbelievable (he was about fourteen and running rings round us, we were in our late teens), yet he's currently without a club after being released by Watford and failing to make the grade at Aldershot.
I watched him play last summer for Wealdstone in a friendly against Watford reserves. He played a few games for them the previous season, but from what I can gague that was his final appearance for them.[nb]Explanation for knowing that: I check Wealdstone's website every now and again because they have about five ex-Watford players on their books. Hence why I went to that friendly.[/nb] From what I can recall he picked up quite a serious injury (ligaments, I think) around about his first year as a pro - I remember spotting him at the 06 play-off final with one of those big protective boots on. Don't think he played a game for us after that.

Mariappa is on Twitter here - (I like how we've turned this topic around).

Jake Thingray

Quote from: momatt on March 08, 2011, 12:58:11 PM
She can't talk properly.  Interspersing every sentence with so many "like", "kinda", "literally", "amazing", "obviously", that it makes no sense at all.  Which isn't great if talking is your whole job.
This is definitely a trend amoungst media types.  Not evil, but makes 80% of TV unwatchable[nb]probably would be anyway[/nb].

That sort of thing is excusable from someone like Cotton. Serves me right for having watched it in the first place, but the last time I tried watching THE XTRA FACTOR, I was genuinely annoyed by her successor, Konnie Huq, saying "Oh, man!" to someone at one point. Here's a Cambridge graduate in economics, and former presenter of BLUE PETER, which whatever you think of it encompasses a wider range of topics than the 'media/celebrity' world into which Cotton fits so snugly, and she's using phrases from Chris Moyles' lexicon. Wonder what Brooker's opinion was.

Mister Six

Quote from: Jake Thingray on March 08, 2011, 06:45:07 PM
That sort of thing is excusable from someone like Cotton. Serves me right for having watched it in the first place, but the last time I tried watching THE XTRA FACTOR, I was genuinely annoyed by her successor, Konnie Huq, saying "Oh, man!" to someone at one point. Here's a Cambridge graduate in economics, and former presenter of BLUE PETER, which whatever you think of it encompasses a wider range of topics than the 'media/celebrity' world into which Cotton fits so snugly, and she's using phrases from Chris Moyles' lexicon. Wonder what Brooker's opinion was.

What was the context? The way you've written it, it sounds pretty innocuous to me. Complaints about people using 'like', 'literally', 'kinda' etc so frequently that they lose any sense of meaning are fair enough: dilution of language into white noise severely limits one's ability to communicate - a problem if you're a telly presenter as that's your sole purpose for existing. Complaining about someone using a vaguely slangy expression of surprise or dismay, however, is just snobbery.

Although I accept that the context may lend your complaint a bit more weight.

Jake Thingray

My complaint is not that it's a vaguely slangy expression, but an extremely silly one: maybe it's my age, but my gut instinct is that it's something only old hippies say. And she was trying to be knowing and ironic when presenting that show, which she simply doesn't have the right persona for, any more than Aled Jones would have.

Mister Six

Probably your age, then. I've heard people of all kinds of ages[nb]Okay, mostly 25+[/nb] using that phrase. Maybe there was a resurgence in the 90s or something. In any case I definitely think it's just you and that Charlie Brooker wouldn't have an opinion on it whatsoever.

Jake Thingray

The opinion that she was miscast on that show isn't just held by me, though.

Mister Six

biggytitbo

I'd like to have sexual intercourse with Fearne Cotton, because I enjoy sexually exploiting mentally sub normal women!

Jake Thingray

Mister Six

Quote from: Jake Thingray on March 08, 2011, 11:19:38 PM
You know perfectly well what I meant.

No I don't. You expressed an opinion about a turn of phrase and I remarked upon it. Nobody said anything about her not being right for the job.

sirhenry

Quote from: Utter Shit on March 08, 2011, 02:15:53 PM
It's weird because you're talking about a tiny area that all these lot are from, is this a similar occurrence for others or is there something in the Harrow water other than a higher-than-average amount of pollutants?
No, not that unusual. I find that most parts of the country are home to people I've never heard of.

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on March 08, 2011, 12:17:38 PM
Overreach of the week. Sure, she comes across as rather vacuous, but I get no sense of this anti-intellectualism you speak of. Is there evidence, or are you just projecting your own conclusions onto her?

Nice how you left out the bit where I prefaced my statement with (at least to me).

Anyway - like I said, she's a microcosm of this because she's an absolute cretin who is paid money to be inane and vacuous on TV. A lot. I suppose I subscribe to a paternalist vision of television as a medium which should, you know, as well as entertaining people, also educate and inform. She will never, ever be involved in any such programme - but, like I also said, this would be fine if she was restricted to the occasional shit show about nothing which is made for morons - programmes like this have existed for a considerable amount of time, and there have been people of analogous stupidity on television almost forever, I'm sure. However, such programmes aren't merely an occasional occurrence, they constitute about what must be approaching 90% of the UK's TV output.

And thus, this leads me to my second point, which is - people are actually enjoying the shit she's involved in and like having complete fucking morons on their TV, which makes me worry about the state of the people we share an island with. Because Fearne Cotton is famous, and keeps getting contracted to appear on these appalling shows, that's a tacit endorsement of the notion that it's more than OK to be an idiot, it's something to be shouted about loudly.

Like I said, it's what she represents, rather than what she is, per se.

dr beat

Tbf when I've heard her Radio 1 show she does a perfectly decent job of the 'big sister' persona which seems to fit that slot and the target audience.   I heard her recently deal very professionally with a swearing caller on her show - cut them off immediately with a quick apology and moved on with no fuss.  So I think she's got some broadcasting chops. 

Her concerted promotion of her chum Morgana loses her considerable goodwill, on the other hand.

Gulftastic

Even though she is 30 this year, fancying her still feels a bit peado-ish.

mr. logic

She has a voice which borders on sexy, yet never quite strays from annoying.

Brunette Romana 2

This week's reveal she launches her new make up range. Hmmm...... A.N.N.O.Y.I.N.G.