Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,797
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:25:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

100 things to do before you die (of aids)

Started by Emma Raducanu, March 06, 2011, 08:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

# 100 things to do before you die

Reincarnate
2 (100%)
petit mart
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Emma Raducanu

Preferably, it'd be good to read genuinely interesting ideas rather than just "suck a swan off", which I'm sure we've all done already. Short of places worth visiting, I'm not overly aware of what there is to do in the world and need educating.

I'd like to go on a 3 month European cycle tour with ThickAndCreamy but that fails to make the list because he isn't available to everyone. So

100. Take part in La Tomatina

a festival held on the last Wednesday of August in Valencia, in which participants throw tomatoes at each other.
This just looks like and hour of insane, liberating fun and it's going on the list.

Number 1: Cure aids.

Then treat yourself to 99 weekend caravan holidays in Scunthorpe.

Ronnie the Raincoat

Quote from: DolphinFace on March 06, 2011, 08:55:22 PM
Preferably, it'd be good to read genuinely interesting ideas rather than just "suck a swan off", which I'm sure we've all done already. Short of places worth visiting, I'm not overly aware of what there is to do in the world and need educating.

I'd like to go on a 3 month European cycle tour with ThickAndCreamy but that fails to make the list because he isn't available to everyone. So

100. Take part in La Tomatina

a festival held on the last Wednesday of August in Valencia, in which participants throw tomatoes at each other.
This just looks like and hour of insane, liberating fun and it's going on the list.

That's on my list, too!  Speaking of Spain (well, Catalonia...)

99.  Stand in front of the Sagrada Familia

This was even more, "Shitttttttttttt...." in person than I expected.  The sheer scale of it is awe-inspiring, the detail.  It's in a unremarkable part of Barcelona, which only adds to the effect. 

CaledonianGonzo

OK, if we're playing seriously:

#98 - Songkran!

Buddhist New Year in SE Asia, particularly in Thailand, particularly in towns like Chiang Mai, when the whole country goes nuts for about a week and devolves into the world's largest water fight.  Supersoakers plus flour plus cheap Mekong Rice Whisky by the gallon = madness on a scale rarely witnessed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songkran

(as for La Tomatina, hate to be a spoilsport but I suspect in this day and age that it's overrun with stag nights, hen nights and backpackery participants from Oz, NZ and SA, minibused in from all over Europe - see also Oktoberfest, Pamplona, Ko Pha Ngan Full Moon Parties, Hogmanay in Edinburgh, etc.  Maybe better to find a smaller equivalent somewhere off the main drag.  While Songkran is not without its backpackey elements, the fact that it's spread out across an entire nation dilutes the trustifarian factor.)

sirhenry

Quote from: Ronnie the Raincoat on March 07, 2011, 03:54:53 AM
That's on my list, too!  Speaking of Spain (well, Catalonia...)

99.  Stand in front of the Sagrada Familia
99a.  Walk from one spire to another of the Sagrada Familia
Terrifying and awe-inspiring in equal measure as the walkways are only 1.5 people wide, so you have to squeeze past folk coming the other way.

sirhenry

#97 - Create a Brocken Spectre

An amazing sight. When you reach the top of a mountain ridge, look down into the clouds/fog below while facing away from the sun. Sometimes you'll see a massive shadow of yourself with multiple rainbow haloes around your head! Yes, you too can be the Rio Jesus.

Jemble Fred

#96 – Miss your connection at NEWPORT TRAIN STATION

Yes, be confused by the alien lay-out of the new UFO design, marvel at the lack of facilities on offer, and see how far you have to venture into the scary, drunk-filled streets to find a place to get a coffee before you can catch the next train far away from there.

#95 – Fill your shoes with ravioli and then throw them out.

CaledonianGonzo

Ravioli!  RAVIOLI he says.  You, sir, are a Randomist!

Serge

Quote from: Jemble Fred on March 07, 2011, 09:45:59 AM#96 – Miss your connection at NEWPORT TRAIN STATION

Woo-hoo! I've done this one.

copylight

#94 - To take psilocybin-containing mushrooms, drink ayahuasca, smoke DMT, read Finnegan's Wake and Ulysses

No one proposes a more persuasive argument for the consumption of organic hallucinogens than the polymathmatic, anarcho-botanist Terence Mckenna. I've been slowly going through the extensive audio talks of this late, great psychonaut. In particular, his talks on language as the very essence of reality, the analysis of Joyce's Ulysses & Finnegan's Wake, the Stoned-Ape theory, the primate-evolution of Ego-Loss medication and his fascinating work on the I-Ching and novelty ''time wave zero''. He sounded like big bird but Mckenna did everything right when he opened his mouth. He made flesh the wisdom of his predecessor, Tim Leary, in such a way as to treat a sober viewer to the very essence of psychedelic calculation without the hippy claptrap. His comments on the machine elves whilst tripping on DMT just makes me want to take what this guy took not in a hedonistic way at all but an exploration of the self.

Here's a taster of Terence and if you aren't convinced of this guys' strength of mind then I urge you to try it yourself. ->

Santa's Boyfriend

Walk El Camino del Ray - although you might want to consider leaving it until last...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmDhRvvs5Xw&feature=related

biggytitbo

Zero Gravitas