Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:30:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doing the rounds again

Started by Ham Bap, August 16, 2023, 10:59:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ham Bap

A new strain seems to be doing the rounds and I caught it for the first time last week.

I'm actually absolutely raging how I caught it.

Mother-in-law had visitors staying at her house, they are quite sick, bed bound for a couple of days, they say they are testing negative for COVID but the 'tests' are taking 15 seconds behind a closed door and no sign of any actually tests. So she knows they have COVID, she also has them wearing masks around the house.

Despite all this, guests and Mother-in-law go ahead with a planned meal in a restaurant. A birthday for one of the visitors. My wife, my son, and loads more invited. She/they dont tell anyone about the COVID, masks around the house etc.

Of course everyone then catches COVID, me included even though I wasn't at the meal.

Do I have the right to be raging?

Also some backstory, years before even COVID anytime my son had even a sniffle Mother In Law would refuse to come in our house, sit out in the car like Princess Diana. Also has refused to even drink a cup of tea from our house since we got a cat. Prudish type.

Ever since, the past 2 weeks in our house have been hellish, wife off work for a week sick. I've had 5 days of very high temperature, 5 day non stop headache. 4 days now of no taste/smell and a sick stomach. Still no end in sight.

Glebe

shoulders

QuoteDo I have the right to be raging?

Yes, I hope the Corona period has at least helped instil in some people duty to not spread their illness around families or at work.

Clearly there are people far too selfish that they'll even do this to their own family members rather than be inconvenienced for a weekend but there does also seem to be a greater awareness than before about hygiene and good etiquette. Not just for Covid but other nasties.

Sorry to hear about your illness and fingers crossed for a full quick recovery.

batwings

Sorry to hear that and you absolutely have the right to be angry at this selfish and reckless behaviour. Hope you all feel back to normal soon. Obviously, when health permits, you must piss through their letterbox, and shout 'Test this!'.

Ham Bap

Thanks everyone, I always expected I'd catch COVID, just the way this has happened.

My cat is throwing up around the place now.

It's difficult trying to contain the 'fume' here. Hopefully we'll all be back to normal very soon.

Not my mother-in-law though, she can get to fuck. Lol.

steveh

The UK is going into another wave - see this piece - but likely not an especially severe one. Variants are still managing to find small ways to improve their immunity evasion which there's a bit of scaremongering about on social media but from what I've read there's nothing really worrying.

Jim_MacLaine

Yeah, I've had it for the last 12 days (7 bedridden). Last time I had it was at the beginning in 2020.

Nasty stuff.

wosl

Yeah, must've copped this.  Tested positive last night after a feeling a bit rough for a day or so - first time I've watched a positive result develop, but at least this tells me that I almost certainly had the Covids back in March 2020, before the test kits and vaccines; very much a set of the same symptoms.

wosl

Sorry to hear you've been feeling so wiped out, Jim.

daf

I still wear a mask doing the shopping - me and my dad are the only people doing this. People have very short memories!

Mr Banlon

Sorry to hear youse lot got the Covid. I expect there'll be a massive spike in London after Carnival too.

Rizla

Woke up feeling a bit shite, get text from cunt I've been in close proximity to all week saying he tested +, and sure enough I do too.

Feeling on the mend already tbh. Beetroot juice and tunnocks.

Glebe

Blinder Data

yep, I had it last weekend. standard cold-type symptoms not as severe as last time but I'd forgotten about the fatigue. more than a week later and just generally knackered still

has knocked my (pregnant) wife for six. unlike me her nose hasn't stopped running

our toddler couldn't keep down food and was low energy for 24 hours but has bounced back very quickly

I know of a few others with it - feels a bit like spring 2022 which is the last time we and eventually every cunt had it

Ham Bap

I'm back to 'normal' now.

Took a full 2 weeks out of me and I still feel like I had it relatively mild.

Never had a cough or sore throat, but other symptoms such as headache, v high temperature, fatigue, loss of smell/taste. My chest was 'caught' for about a week too, clearing phlegm. One night I thought I was going to be in trouble when I was having trouble clearing my throat (felt like I was drowning) and couldn't breathe 100% but it seemed to start to clear the next day.

First time I had it, I really understand now how bad it must have been when it was first going round, stronger strains and when there was no vaccination.

Wife is still coughing nearly 4 weeks on.

Lemming

Think I had this the last couple days, very nasty headache which has been the telltale symptom every previous time I've caught it.

Had it so many times though that it just seems to roll off me now, maybe because the first time in late 2021 was so bad that I actually thought I was gonna end up in intensive care.

An underdiscussed but particularly awful symptom of this disease is that the delirium and pain from the headaches and high temperature can cause you to jolt awake in the middle of sleep and loudly, involuntarily go "uurrgh, fuck, uuUUurrgh". Disastrous if other people are in the house, who will doubtless think you're in the middle of an ultra-vocal wanking frenzy.

flotemysost

What I assumed recently to be a bout of hayfever/the effects of my office's aggressively Baltic aircon seems to have been a dose of the 'vid. By the time I clocked it I was testing negative the following day but I'm still feeling pretty out of sorts, even more of a disorientated cloth-eared shambles than usual.

Also, my ability to accurately estimate time passing is terrible as it is, but I've noticed it feels even more skewed now - like I'm simultaneously wading through an Olympic swimming pool of Tate & Lyle syrup, and also like five hours could slip past in the blink of an eye and I wouldn't notice. I'm meant to be finally watching Oppenheimer later this week if I'm not feeling too murky, so it'll either whizz by or be glacial. Maybe I'll just attempt an expensive nap; I'll try not to
Quote from: Lemming on August 28, 2023, 11:02:54 PMjolt awake in the middle of sleep and loudly, involuntarily go "uurrgh, fuck, uuUUurrgh"
in the cinema.

Hope everyone's on the mend soon anyway, especially those of you with kids/caring responsibilities or existing health issues - I realise me going "waahh, I can't go gallivanting around like a big old dickhead as per usual!" is a massive luxury.

JaDanketies

I just deleted all the COVID booking restrictions shit from someone's T&Cs too!

Jim_MacLaine

Quote from: wosl on August 27, 2023, 03:18:25 PMSorry to hear you've been feeling so wiped out, Jim.

Thanks, 3 weeks on I've still got an annoying cough which periodically takes my breath away but otherwise fine.
After that bad first week when my other symptoms began to improve I started nasal washes and my sense of smell and taste came back so that's perhaps a tip.

Oddly that's one of the worst things for me with flu/covid. Not being able to smell or taste food.

Mr_Simnock

Looking at COVID inpatient data for 4 major hospitals near me early June to early September has been the lowest activity wise since the pandemic started although it is now just starting to pick up again, still low numbers though.

ZoyzaSorris

Pretty sure majority of the people most likely to die directly from acute Covid have done already, doesn't mean it isn't repeatedly running rife through society causing insidious long term damage though (which it almost certainly is).

Alberon

Thing is, through disease and ageing, more people will always be entering the 'at risk' bracket.

Friend of my wife's dad just died after months of ill health from a severe bout of Covid back in January.

Blue Jam

Just had jab #5(!) along with my winter flu jab because of my asthma. Got "Moderna Arm" again and another angry red bit around the flu jab injection site. Armpit is swollen and very sore as well. I've read that Moderna is a bit like the tetanus jab and you feel progressively worse after each one. Nowt I can do but take paracetamol and wait is there? Better than dying of course, I'll try to keep that in mind. Maybe I'll ask if I can get Pfizered to Pfuck if there's a #6.

Anyone else get their booster at a Covid jab clinic and get a bit of a grilling over it? I was told it was because "You need to understand why you've been offered this- you may not need it" and asked about my medical history but I was wondering if it was a money-saving exercise. Fuckit, I may be younger than the average attendee but I still pay taxes, not gonna say no to a nice free injection or two, gwaarrn take my arm and fill 'er up.

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: Alberon on September 22, 2023, 02:04:45 PMThing is, through disease and ageing, more people will always be entering the 'at risk' bracket.

Friend of my wife's dad just died after months of ill health from a severe bout of Covid back in January.

Oh absolutely. I was just pushing back on the head-in-the-sand idea from Mr S up there that a superficially low number of specifically covid-coded hospitalisations meant that it wasn't quietly running rampant weakening everyone's health in various insidious ways. (Which it is).

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 22, 2023, 03:38:29 PMJust had jab #5(!) along with my winter flu jab because of my asthma. Got "Moderna Arm" again and another angry red bit around the flu jab injection site. Armpit is swollen and very sore as well. I've read that Moderna is a bit like the tetanus jab and you feel progressively worse after each one. Nowt I can do but take paracetamol and wait is there? Better than dying of course, I'll try to keep that in mind. Maybe I'll ask if I can get Pfizered to Pfuck if there's a #6.

Anyone else get their booster at a Covid jab clinic and get a bit of a grilling over it? I was told it was because "You need to understand why you've been offered this- you may not need it" and asked about my medical history but I was wondering if it was a money-saving exercise. Fuckit, I may be younger than the average attendee but I still pay taxes, not gonna say no to a nice free injection or two, gwaarrn take my arm and fill 'er up.

Jab. In and out. No worries. With all my other health woes currently, a sore arm was a delight

Blue Jam

Think it's the flu jab that was the issue. Felt a bit run down for a couple of days along with the massively sore armpit (all subsided now thank fuck) whereas with the Covid jabs alone I'd just get very tired and end up having a really good night's sleep. That plus 'Moderna Arm" for the last three jabs 'cos they were all SPIKEVAX™ but that looks a lot worse than it feels.

Kankurette

I'm surprised they're doing flu jabs so early this year, I got texted about it earlier this week. Thought they'd wait till late October.

I'm happy to get a jab but not looking forward to feeling like I've just lifted a giant weight.

scarecrow

Mainstream media is starting to accept the likelihood that covid causes multi-organ damage even in 'mild' cases, though headlines like this one continue to muddy the waters by confusing the cause (covid) with the outcome (long covid): https://news.sky.com/story/long-covid-can-cause-long-term-damage-to-multiple-organs-study-finds-12967123?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Kankurette on September 23, 2023, 11:26:23 AMI'm surprised they're doing flu jabs so early this year, I got texted about it earlier this week. Thought they'd wait till late October.

I'm happy to get a jab but not looking forward to feeling like I've just lifted a giant weight.

Better than getting really sick this winter.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Just tested positive for the Vid. Unfortunately because my sister is visiting and she has cancer (so it's not in her best interests to get it) I'm partying like it's 2020, sat in a room and wearing a mask whilst people jump out of my way when I get up to go for a piss.