Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,797
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:24:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

That video of the soldiers doing a Maria Carey tribute act.

Started by biggytitbo, December 09, 2011, 11:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

All I said was it'd better if there were some dead foreigners hanging in the background and I've had nothing but abuse on YouTube since. Bloody fascists. It's almost as if criticism of the armed forces were some kind of taboo in this country...I can't think why.

biggytitbo

Haha OK I admit it, the abuse on YouTube make me feel so very happy. Are you satisfied now?

The abuse on here wasn't enough for me so I had to escalate it to a global level.

Danger Man

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 09, 2011, 11:34:40 PM
It's almost as if criticism of the armed forces were some kind of taboo in this country...I can't think why.

Because they are heroes, you....you....Hullovian.

[nb]The only Union Jack in the present day that was used at Trafalgar. Auctioned for 380,000 quid in 2009[/nb]

The Plunger

That 'sad military wives' shit that everyone seems to be creaming themselves over is pish as well.

Danger Man

No chocolates for you, The Plunger

(If that's your real name)

George Oscar Bluth II

Danger Man

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on December 10, 2011, 12:01:26 AM
Soldiers: devaluing the word 'hero' since 2001.

Steady on....the UK has a war criminal. Just the one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Payne_(British_Army_soldier)

Our only war criminal was given the standard sentence for war crimes: 12 months in prison. If all the other soldiers weren't so busy being heroes they might have noticed the one bad apple doing war crimes all on his own.

That's enough irony.

biggytitbo

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on December 10, 2011, 12:01:26 AM
Soldiers: devaluing the word 'hero' since 2001.
Absolutely. Confusing bravery with heroism since the same date.

The Plunger

Quote from: Danger Man on December 09, 2011, 11:55:46 PM
No chocolates for you, The Plunger
(If that's your real name)

It is. Pleased to meet you Danger Man.

Barberism

Forget all of that.

What is it with that bloody song? Why do people like it? Least of all people who are supposed to be trained killers? It doesn't make me feel Christmasy. It makes me want to stab things. It's just so schmaltzy and glitzy and cloying and fake and absolutely fucking shit.

I hope they all suffer the death of a thousand bumpoos.

jutl

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 09, 2011, 11:34:40 PM
All I said was it'd better if there were some dead foreigners hanging in the background and I've had nothing but abuse on YouTube since. Bloody fascists.

All I can find is someone called 'soilysound' making something like that comment and getting a couple of responses. That's not you is it? If it is, that's not really a lot of abuse, is it?

QuoteIt's almost as if criticism of the armed forces were some kind of taboo in this country...I can't think why.

I don't really understand the converse view: that military personnel should be detested for serving at the behest of the government. Unless we say that we do not need a military at all, under any conceivable circumstances, then we have to accept that some people will choose to work for it. What happens to them after they make that choice isn't their responsibility, except inasfar as it's all our responsibility as voters. You can criticise them for taking the job, but that seems fairly churlish if we are accepting that in some circumstances we need people to do that job. Of course if you're saying we never need a military then that's at least consistent if (to me at least) incomprehensible.

Buelligan

Quote from: jutl on December 10, 2011, 09:18:51 AM
I don't really understand the converse view: that military personnel should be detested for serving at the behest of the government.

I don't really see that as the only converse view available, jutl.  In my opinion, the sanctification of the military is a cynical manoeuvre by those who start the fucking wars to make it impossible for anyone to criticise 'War'.  If criticising 'War' is re-interpreted as criticising our brave boys and girls, all criticism can be quickly silenced (no matter how valid it may be). 

Zetetic

I'd like to see some evidence that this is a widespread problem in the UK (or wherever the fuck you're burrowed in, if you want, Buelligan). United States, perhaps, but I despite 'Help for Heroes', I haven't seen any sort of chilling effect on criticism of the war.

jutl

Quote from: Buelligan on December 10, 2011, 09:32:08 AM
I don't really see that as the only converse view available.  In my opinion, the sanctification of the military is a cynical manoeuvre by those who start the fucking wars to make it impossible for anyone to criticise 'War'.  If criticising 'War' is interpreted as criticising our brave boys and girls, all criticism can be quickly silenced (no matter how valid it may be).

I'm not sure about that. For a start, criticism is voluble and constant, as it should be. As Biggytitbo has demonstrated with his brave Youtube activism, if it's an official government strategy it's another fairly ineffective one. Also, I wouldn't underestimate the network effect of those who are related to and/or friends of someone serving. That would add up to a lot of bumper stickers even without positing an astroturfed official campaign. Finally I wouldn't assume that those who 'support our troops' also support the policies that they are enforcing. In a way military personnel are more victims of those policies than our own Youtube warriors. 

edit to add: You are right though that detesting the military is not the only opposing option. It's just one I see a lot.

Buelligan

Quote from: Zetetic on December 10, 2011, 09:35:26 AM
I'd like to see some evidence that this is a widespread problem in the UK (or wherever the fuck you're burrowed in, if you want, Buelligan). United States, perhaps, but I despite 'Help for Heroes', I haven't seen any sort of chilling effect on criticism of the war.

I'm sorry, I don't really understand what you are saying here Zetetic.  Are you saying that you have seen no evidence in the UK that criticising the military and/or war is being stamped upon by the popular media there? 

WesterlyWinds

Good job we do have military forces, really, otherwise Saddam Hussein would have blown us all up with his weapons of mass destruction.

Buelligan

Quote from: jutl on December 10, 2011, 09:37:57 AM
Finally I wouldn't assume that those who 'support our troops' also support the policies that they are enforcing.

I'm sorry, I obviously didn't make myself clear.  I am not saying that our brave boys and girls are actively in league with these bastards - any more than gangs of happy children in a hamburger advert are in league with McDonalds (and possibly, less[nb]Should this read "fewer"?[/nb]). 

I just think that these young and possibly, naive people are being used twice, once to make hellish war somewhere and once to shield the creators of that War with their poor, dead bodies.

jutl

Quote from: WesterlyWinds on December 10, 2011, 09:52:20 AM
Good job we do have military forces, really, otherwise Saddam Hussein would have blown us all up with his weapons of mass destruction.

Yes, and it's a good thing that Hitler gave up when challenged diplomatically.

Quote from: Buelligan on December 10, 2011, 09:53:17 AMI just think that these young and possibly, naive people are being used twice, once to make hellish war somewhere and once to shield the creators of that War with their poor, brave, dead bodies.

...but how would we distinguish this latter 'use' from the honest grief of friends and family, and the sympathy of others? I agree that the effect might be to insulate the government - to some degree - from criticism, but I can't see how we can establish that this is engineered.

WesterlyWinds

Quote from: jutl on December 10, 2011, 09:57:48 AM
Yes, and it's a good thing that Hitler gave up when challenged diplomatically.

Exactly. Imagine what shitty world we'd all live in if he hadn't left Poland when told to by Chamberlain.

Buelligan

Quote from: jutl on December 10, 2011, 09:57:48 AM
...but how would we distinguish this latter 'use' from the honest grief of friends and family, and the sympathy of others? I agree that the effect might be to insulate the government - to some degree - from criticism, but I can't see how we can establish that this is engineered.

We don't need to establish that, we only need to remain calm, think clearly and refuse to become a manipulated mob.

jutl

Quote from: WesterlyWinds on December 10, 2011, 10:03:59 AM
Exactly. Imagine what shitty world we'd all live in if he hadn't left Poland when told to by Chamberlain.

Yup - I'd imagine that a military victory against Hitler might have gone a long way towards demonstrating the necessity of a standing army.

jutl

Quote from: Buelligan on December 10, 2011, 10:06:05 AM
We don't need to establish that, we only need to remain calm, think clearly and refuse to become a manipulated mob.

...but unless we are being manipulated that's a meaningless refusal.

WesterlyWinds

Quote from: jutl on December 10, 2011, 10:06:23 AM
Yup - I'd imagine that a military victory against Hitler might have gone a long way towards demonstrating the necessity of a standing army.

Since then have we needed a standing army, though? I suppose the 'military might' of  country's like the USA keep anyone who was considering imperialism/other bad shit (unless sanctioned and quite probably aided by the US government, of course) from actually doing anything. My problem is that I'm an idealist and I would love to live in a world where we don't need a military, which makes me want to argue that we shouldn't have one. I just can't quite justify it. Yet.

Although, I'm sure I read something recently that the big arms manufacturers tend to supply both sides in a conflict (fuzzy details here, I know) so if we remove those bastards (using a crack MI6 like team from CaB, maybe) then surely the whole world can get on with shit that actually matters, rather than killing each other over land, creed and minor annoyance?

jutl

Quote from: WesterlyWinds on December 10, 2011, 10:13:37 AM
Since then have we needed a standing army, though? I suppose the 'military might' of  country's like the USA keep anyone who was considering imperialism/other bad shit (unless sanctioned and quite probably aided by the US government, of course) from actually doing anything. My problem is that I'm an idealist and I would love to live in a world where we don't need a military, which makes me want to argue that we shouldn't have one. I just can't quite justify it. Yet.

Although, I'm sure I read something recently that the big arms manufacturers tend to supply both sides in a conflict (fuzzy details here, I know) so if we remove those bastards (using a crack MI6 like team from CaB, maybe) then surely the whole world can get on with shit that actually matters, rather than killing each other over land, creed and minor annoyance?

Historically that's never been possible, though. Also, armies can and do prevent conflict in some circumstances, so they might need to be a component of the world you're imagining.

Danger Man

Costa Rica doesn't have a military.

Are they the only decent-sized country without one?

Buelligan

Quote from: jutl on December 10, 2011, 10:09:25 AM
...but unless we are being manipulated that's a meaningless refusal.

Yes, and some might say it's a fatuous waste of breathing to spend one's life arguing about something as nitpicking as that.  Surely, clear thinking and calm reactions are reasonably sane default settings for most human beings (whether or not they are being manipulated at any given moment)? 

WesterlyWinds

Sadly I think the world I am imagining is, if even remotely possible, a long way down the line. First we need to get people to actually respect and tolerate each other before we even start on reciprocal altruism. The more time I spend thinking about it, the less likely an end-result it seems.

What job can I get that involves no thinking about how depressing humanity is?

Quote from: Danger Man on December 10, 2011, 10:16:47 AM
Costa Rica doesn't have a military.

Are they the only decent-sized country without one?

I think so. Most other countries without an army are tiny little islands (e.g. St Lucia). I think a lot of them tend to be protected by the USA, who have more than enough military to go around.

Zetetic

Quote from: Buelligan on December 10, 2011, 09:41:34 AM
I'm sorry, I don't really understand what you are saying here Zetetic.  Are you saying that you have seen no evidence in the UK that criticising the military and/or war is being stamped upon by the popular media there?
I'm saying that I don't see criticism of the war being suppressed over here by conflation with criticism of the troops.