Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,802
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:28:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Moral daze.

Started by thepuffpastryhangman, December 10, 2011, 01:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thepuffpastryhangman

Ok. I just had a strange thing happen. I went to renew my overpriced car insurance. To do so I'd had to borrow the money in order to avoid their piss-taking charges for credit/direct debit payments.
I had the money in cash, most of it, £2k, in two sealed £1k plastic envelopes from Santander. I borrowed it in this form.
Fully comp was £2.5k Third Party Fire & Theft was £2.1k. On the former I would receive a £75 cash back, so £2.425k really.
Anyway I went for Third Party F&T, as I'm
massively skint and £325 is loadsa money.
I told the guy in Swinton (he was in a t-shirt and jeans and the only person in the building) the envelopes were sealed but he insisted on counting the money, all used £20 notes, anyway.

He said the first envelope contained £1100. So I opened the other one myself and handed him the money. He counted it. I'd already taken out the additional £100
and placed it on the counter with the two envelopes, before he'd told me the first envelope contained £1100.
"£2100" he said, "I'll print you a receipt".
I asked him if he was sure there was £2100, he said yes. I said that's it, £2100?
He said yes and printed the receipt.
I asked him "Are you happy with that?"
Once more he said "Yes, I just take the money." I picked up the additional £100 I'd placed on the desk and left.

I don't mind Santander or Swinton losing £100 but don't want him to get into trouble.
Is there a set policy, assuming he's mis-counted? I worry, him being in the office alone, being handed so much cash, he might be blamed if it was £100 light.
But, they've obviously got my details and haven't phoned me yet. (The branch closed at 1pm, I went in at 12.30pm) but again I imagine they empty the safe on Monday and potentially a third party could also become suspected.
It's a moral minefield. And I could really use the £50 (I already gave half to the person who'd lent me the money).

Advice? Help? Inside knowledge?

Danger Man

Two grand for car insurance?

mook

Danger Man

Two grand for car insurance?

thepuffpastryhangman

Is that "fuck off" with the money or "fuck off" back to Swinton sharpish on Monday morning and demand a recount?

FFS, I know the insurance is expensive, that's not the issue. Without the details the story wouldn't make sense.

Danger Man

Do you drive a really big expensive car?

(I'd keep the money, by the way)

mook

1 nu un.

the "fuck off" was because the story reeks of bullshit. why get cash out? insurance brokers don't give a better price for "cash in hand".

I accept the terms of the

I think he borrowed the money from a friend who withdrew it from banks and got it in envelopes.

It's hard to follow.

thepuffpastryhangman

The cash came from someone's shite Santander ISA paying 3.5% or so. The insurance runs out midnight tomorrow. I wanted the deposit to be in my name, by me. Yes, with greater organisation I could've borrowed the money earlier in the week - which I tried to do Thursday, the most convenient branch for the person
lending me the money had closed at 4pm -  deposited in my account and paid by phone using a debit card, but that didn't happen.

I know £2k is barely a decnt bottle of wine to you mook but I've no reason to make owt up. I just thought, hoped someone might have 'inside knowledge' re: whether the guy would be held responsible if he mis-counted. That was all.

thepuffpastryhangman

Quote from: I accept the terms of the on December 10, 2011, 01:46:28 PM
I think he borrowed the money from a friend who withdrew it from banks and got it in envelopes.

It's hard to follow.

(Sorry if it's not clear, I've done it all on my phone as I'm still out.)
Santander. Two sealed plastic envelopes and the rest in an unsealed platic envelope.

Bloomin' eck, it's the extra £100 that's the issue.

And mook, to suggest I'm making stuff up, for what reason I can't imagine, is, well, why? Just why? It's not even an interesting tale.

thepuffpastryhangman

Just realised I've still got one of the plastic envelopes, and, of course, the printed receipt. When I get home I can photo them and post pics if needs be ye doubters.

Saucer51

Puff, don't be silly and go to such lengths. If any poster is being vicious rather than teasing, thats on their own conscience.
My friend brought a brand new car and suffered break failure very soon which was of course terrifying. The showroom told her that they could or would do nothing as there was washing up liquid in the brake fluid. Her husband then went to speak to them and hey presto they suddenly agreed to rectify the situation at their own expense, rather than hers.

mook

i can't help it puff, but you started it when you got all adolf on my people motherfucker.

The Masked Unit

Puffy, for our collective sanity could you please specify what car you have that costs so much to insure?

small_world

No.
£2000?
Have you murdered someone to death by driving into them ala Nagsworth?

mook

if he would run over nagworth again, i'd pay for his fucking insurance.

thepuffpastryhangman

The car isn't the issue. It's not flash or owt. Due to collision, which I've mentioned previously, and which I'm still not convinced was my fault (the other party produced a 'witness' to support his story) and as a result my premium shot up and/as I'd lost my No Claims. Maybe it's the postcode too? I dunno. Anyway I
shopped around and it's not about the premium, it's about what'd happen if the guy in Swintion mis-counted the money.
And how likely it us that Satander and not he made a mistake.

mook - I was promoting equality. The one personal comment I made in your direction is the one thing I don't (from memory) stand by 100%. It'd been irking me and I'm happy to use this opportunity to apologise for any offence caused by that one personal comment. It was based upon the notion of '5000 years of networking' which I assumed had enabled yourself, as a self  acknowledged "carpenter", to be a position financially to bet hundreds of thousands online and seemingly barely bat an eye at losing £300 000+ And that after having retired in your, thirties? I had no direct evidence of nepotism but such a meteoric rise is seldom achieved without family ties or help. That was all. Sorry.

rudi

Bloody moneylenders, taking all the jobs. Send 'em back to Inuitland, I say.

Nobody Soup

just don't get in an accident and they're essentially stealing from you anyway.

biggytitbo

PPH drives a car made of bombs.

Tiny Poster

"I was promoting equality"

Feralkid

Some poor schmuck is going to be responsible for £100 less being in the till.  Their manager will notice when said money is placed in the bank.  The employee who miscounted the money will get into trouble.  They may be accused of theft and lose their job.  They may not get another.  You may be permanently fucking up someone else's life.  And yes, said employee clearly miscounted.  Santander did not, those folk are trained rigorously in such matters.

You should admit that you may have miscounted the money you paid and rectify things.

mook

he won't admit a thing, the man's a goy.

Zetetic

Quote from: Feralkid on December 10, 2011, 05:42:17 PMYou may be permanently fucking up someone else's life.
Perhaps you didn't read the OP, but he says he 'really' could 'use' the £50.
Anyway, we've not heard if this employee belongs to an over-represented ethnicity.

thepuffpastryhangman

Quote from: Feralkid on December 10, 2011, 05:42:17 PM
Some poor schmuck is going to be responsible for £100 less being in the till.  Their manager will notice when said money is placed in the bank.  The employee who miscounted the money will get into trouble.  They may be accused of
theft and lose their job.  They may not get another.  You may be permanently fucking up someone else's life.  And yes, said employee clearly miscounted.  Santander did not, those folk are trained rigorously in such matters.

You should admit that you may have
miscounted the money you paid and rectify things.

That is, naturally, my biggest fear. And as said I even had the additional £100 on the
desk, expecting him to say "£1000 there, £1000 there" when he'd counted the two sealed plastic envelopes. I did stress, before I was even aware of the 'magic
£100' that the plastic envelopes were sealed, not only that, they were dated and hand signed, presumably by whoever did the counting.
But, it seems weird that he didn't say 'Oh
wow, this sealed pastic envelope has an extra £100 in it'. If the money is down, and he is accussed, I'm virtually certain he'll realise why and they'll call me, at which point I'll have to fess up. Fess up to doing nothing. I still struggle to comprehend why he didn't, having opened the first sealed
plastic envelope himself, think, even say 'That's odd' and count it again. It's not impossible Santander made an error but does seem less likely.
Maybe I'll get a call on Monday.

You're right.

EDIT - Though the money he may have miscounted, I hadn't even touched. But now, I'm feeling increasingly guilty for not asking him to recount it, which also seems a bit unfair. I almost hope they will call me on Monday morning.

Zetetic - I could use the £50 but not at the guy's expense.

thepuffpastryhangman

Quote from: rudi on December 10, 2011, 04:45:10 PM
Bloody moneylenders, taking all the jobs.

Oh rudi, don't be silly. The moneylenders don't work.

small_world

I went to McDonald's today. They didn't have any pies ready, so I parked up.
They brought out my food, plus some extra HappyMeals.
I took them.
Sorry.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: thepuffpastryhangman on December 10, 2011, 01:24:25 PM
I don't mind Santander or Swinton losing £100

Really? Do you mind anyone doing fiddled claims, either? If not, why the difference?