Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:37:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Saddest moments in children's television shows

Started by ros vulgaris, March 18, 2024, 10:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ros vulgaris

Is there anything that beats the death of Badger from Animals of Farthing Wood?

From about 10:30

"A fox, worried about kindness? I must be in heaven."

Glebe

PowerButchi

holyzombiejesus

Didn't Roland Browning try to kill himself in Grange Hill? His plight at the hands of Gripper really upset me.

iamcoop

The classic 'Why don't he want me?' REJECTED BY DAD Fresh Prince scene

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 19, 2024, 07:54:13 AMDidn't Roland Browning try to kill himself in Grange Hill? His plight at the hands of Gripper really upset me.
The Roland storylines on Fandom.com only cover the first three years of his time on the show, and no mention of a suicide attempt, but fuck it's depressing
QuoteGripper's attention to Roland was slightly taken away as Gripper focused on carrying out a hate campaign against non-white pupils at the school. During this race war Gripper made Roland swear allegiance to his own race, and also taunted Roland claiming that he wasn't white.
Presumably an influence on South Park.

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 19, 2024, 07:54:13 AMDidn't Roland Browning try to kill himself in Grange Hill? His plight at the hands of Gripper really upset me.

He does walk out into the road and gets run over (knocked unconscious) at the end of his first series, which might be what you're thinking of, though he's recovered and back at school again by the start of his second.

Quote from: Alternative Carpark on March 19, 2024, 02:03:28 PMHe does walk out into the road and gets run over (knocked unconscious) at the end of his first series, which might be what you're thinking of, though he's recovered and back at school again by the start of his second.
Thanks! I've been wondering about this for years. Because I watched it when I was very young and couldn't sleep that night because I was so worried about it, but then later, I started to wonder if he had been run over at all because the recurring visual memory I had of it could equally have been nothing more than the bus obscuring the camera's view of Roland by driving between him and the camera.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: iamcoop on March 19, 2024, 10:46:23 AMThe classic 'Why don't he want me?' REJECTED BY DAD Fresh Prince scene

Also Carlton being too privileged/naive to understand they were on the receiving end of institutional police racism.

Kankurette

Wasn't there a girl in Byker Grove who had a brain tumour and died of it? Angel?
Quote from: iamcoop on March 19, 2024, 10:46:23 AMThe classic 'Why don't he want me?' REJECTED BY DAD Fresh Prince scene
Will Smith was amazing in that scene.

I don't remember Badger's death, but the poor little hedgehogs being run over always got me. Or the rodents finding their babies' bodies impaled on thorns by the butcher bird. Animals of Farthing Wood was pretty fucking dark for a kids' series and that's before you find out that they couldn't adapt The Siege of White Deer Park because it was too dark. (It's the one with the serial killer wildcat.)

touchingcloth

Quote from: ros vulgaris on March 18, 2024, 10:17:46 PMIs there anything that beats the death of Badger from Animals of Farthing Wood?

From about 10:30

"A fox, worried about kindness? I must be in heaven."

When I first saw the thread title, I thought of Farthing Wood, but not because of Badger. The whole thing was mainly heartbreak, in my memory, and I particularly remembered the hedgehogs being smushed by a truck.

The section headings in this article are just as bleak as I remember it - https://screenrant.com/animals-of-farthing-wood-most-traumatic-deaths/

The Badger Dies Of Old Age
Mr. & Mrs. Hedgehog Are Run Over By A Truck
The Pheasants Are Killed & Eaten By A Farmer
The Baby Mice Are Impaled By The Shrike
fucking hell
Dreamer Fox, Mrs. Rabbit, Mrs. Hare, & Mrs. Vole Are Mauled By Scarface
Mrs. Fieldmouse Is Mistakenly Killed By Kestrel
Sinuous Is Strangled By A Rat
Bold Is Shot & Attacked By Dogs & Dies From His Wounds
Scarface & Bounder Are Bitten By Adder And Die From Her Poison

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Astronaut Omens on March 19, 2024, 02:17:20 PMThanks! I've been wondering about this for years. Because I watched it when I was very young and couldn't sleep that night because I was so worried about it

Me too! I actually made some posters saying 'down with Gripper' or something like that as I was so worried about Roland. Obviously, my sister and mum found them and mocked me relentlessly for weeks.

dontpaintyourteeth

Video Game Fan 2000

the first angelo in mike and angelo died writhing in pain before it turned into a dr who reference and id never seen fucking dr who at that point

Mr_Simnock

that epsiode of 'the littlest hobo' where he ends up a thai restaurant didn't end well did it

ros vulgaris

Quote from: Kankurette on March 19, 2024, 03:33:59 PMWasn't there a girl in Byker Grove who had a brain tumour and died of it? Angel?Will Smith was amazing in that scene.

I don't remember Badger's death, but the poor little hedgehogs being run over always got me. Or the rodents finding their babies' bodies impaled on thorns by the butcher bird. Animals of Farthing Wood was pretty fucking dark for a kids' series and that's before you find out that they couldn't adapt The Siege of White Deer Park because it was too dark. (It's the one with the serial killer wildcat.)

Yeah I remember the hedgehogs too. Badger's death was affecting as he'd gone through a period of dementia beforehand, with getting lost and living in memories, and thinking Mossy the mole was his dead father who used to travel on his back. Which as a seven year old I remember thinking was all very strange.

And then I didn't like series three, they changed the animation style to make it more Hanna-Barbera and the rats were stupid.

Brundle-Fly

touchingcloth

Neither children's nor a television show, but it includes children and animals so it's not totally off topic

YOU WANT PURRIN IN' BIN

touchingcloth

And I'll tell you what I've never cried at even though I knew the makers were trying to make me: the fucking Snowman.

Norton Canes

This caught me totally off guard one summer holiday and by the time it had finished no kidding, I was an absolute wreck

28 years old I was &etc.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 19, 2024, 05:54:23 PMNeither children's nor a television show, but it includes children and animals so it's not totally off topic

YOU WANT PURRIN IN' BIN

Verging off-topic even further I have a very early memory of bawling my eyes out at the now-alone robots watering the plants at the end of Silent Running.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Kankurette on March 19, 2024, 03:33:59 PMWasn't there a girl in Byker Grove who had a brain tumour and died of it? Angel?Will Smith was amazing in that scene.

There was also the storyline about Nikki the UFO spotter's dad returning and it transpiring he abused her.

When two children on TFI Friday had a staring contest and the loser cried.

dontpaintyourteeth

Kankurette

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 19, 2024, 06:38:58 PMThere was also the storyline about Nikki the UFO spotter's dad returning and it transpiring he abused her.
I remember Nikki's abusive dad, yeah. That was grim.

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 19, 2024, 06:37:50 PMVerging off-topic even further I have a very early memory of bawling my eyes out at the now-alone robots watering the plants at the end of Silent Running.

It's even more tear-jerking than that. It's robot, singular.

Mortimer

Don't remember the program but it was decades ago and during the usual early evening children's TV hours. A woman presenter interviewing the Blue Peter stalwart John Noakes.

Interviewer: "And how's Shep these days?"

John Noakes: "He...he...he...died last week".

John Noakes precedes to have a breakdown on live TV.