Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:13:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrasslin' Talk: Punk out

Started by Gurke and Hare, September 02, 2023, 09:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

WWE is letting people do the GCW Mania weekend shows this year. Shayna Baszler announced for Bloodsport so far.

Deanjam

Quote from: Ja'moke on March 16, 2024, 10:57:07 AMWWE is letting people do the GCW Mania weekend shows this year. Shayna Baszler announced for Bloodsport so far.

I imagine it's gonna just be certain people. Those with nothing happening on the Mania card. Still, a positive step.

Deanjam

Why are Mox/Claudio not in the Tag title tournament after sweeping FTR? Seems like they were setting them up for a tag title run.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Deanjam on March 16, 2024, 01:28:41 PMWhy are Mox/Claudio not in the Tag title tournament after sweeping FTR? Seems like they were setting them up for a tag title run.

Mox hasn't been on TV since the ppv, which is rare for him. I'm guessing he's hurt.

Bryan v Shibata was as fantastic as you'd expect.

Psybro

Still trying to get my head round them telling us Darby was going to climb Everest but then doing a kayfabe injury angle, so he was going to shoot climb Everest with a kayfabe injury, but then he got a shoot injury and can't.  I think where I've got to is that Mt Everest is a work.

Hank_Kingsley

Quote from: Psybro on March 17, 2024, 10:07:17 PMStill trying to get my head round them telling us Darby was going to climb Everest but then doing a kayfabe injury angle, so he was going to shoot climb Everest with a kayfabe injury, but then he got a shoot injury and can't.  I think where I've got to is that Mt Everest is a work.
Setting up a feud with Avalanche I reckon...

Mobius

Rampage is on immediately after Dynamite today FYI, so 3 hours of AEW

I hope Okada destroys Eddie, although he's a champ so I guess it'll have to be competitive.

Ja'moke

I wouldn't want three hours every week, but those shows flew by.

Hank_Kingsley

Yup, it was a hot Dynamite this week with Rampage probably being even better.

BBC Sounds are doing an eight-part documentary series on Bruiser Brody.

Adam Hills is narrating, I've never watched any of his stuff and have no opinion on him other than he seems to be able to speak clearly and doesn't have any annoying vocal tics which is all I ask of a podcast host (yet I am constantly disappointed).

Psybro

How can Hook put on his submission with Jericho literally sat on the turnbuckle and it not be a rope break?  Boy I hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

Mobius

Roman and Cody actually feels a bit lame now. The crowd didn't seem into that ending. It felt awkward. Seems like The Rick's appearance have made everyone else feel insignificant

How much they fucked everything up by not having Cody go over last year really is something. They haven't even spent that time advancing heels to be ready to face him post-Mania either. It's the same people in the same spots mostly, Drew hotter, Solo Sikoa and Judgment Day colder, Gunther exactly the same. Logan Paul is his most interesting potential opponent.

Psybro

Quote from: Stone Cold Steve Austin on March 23, 2024, 03:59:59 AMHow much they fucked everything up by not having Cody go over last year really is something.
It's just good long term booking, if Cody had gone over they'd have run out of wrestling and had to shut down.  The money is in the chase, when WWF had Hogan and Austin with the belt nobody wanted to watch it.

Moj

Quote from: Psybro on March 23, 2024, 08:51:39 AMIt's just good long term booking, if Cody had gone over they'd have run out of wrestling and had to shut down.  The money is in the chase, when WWF had Hogan and Austin with the belt nobody wanted to watch it.
These are good and valid points and also Vince did nothing wrong.

Psybro

The missus is out tonight and we're an hour closer to US timezones than usual, time for live Collision! Aww, son of a bitch!

Magnum Valentino

Ja'moke

I don't watch WWE outside of the ppvs and clips these days, but The Rock seems to be killing it right now. 

Deanjam

He's been great. But really exposing the likes of Roman, Seth and Cody as nothing special.

Deanjam

The two best booked feuds in WWE right now are Rock v Cody and Drew v Punk. Neither of which is happening at Mania.

Ja'moke

Becky v Rhea seems pretty good too.

Honestly, I'm surprised at just how hot WWE is right now. The product overall is not for me anymore, but it's hard to argue the success. Multiple sold out shows for weekly TV. Is it all just because Vince is now gone? Or are the shows really that much better?

Numbers were picking up when Vince was still around. It was Cody. WWE has always been a babyface territory, they needed one to catch on with the crowd, and once one does, everything else gets dragged along with it. Then, yes, getting rid of the worst excesses of Vince's deranged foibles and micro management makes everything better and easier to engage with, and getting rid of Kevin Dunn has made the production at least watchable on television. But in the end it was about having a top babyface that people were into.

Memorex MP3

Quote from: Ja'moke on March 26, 2024, 11:34:45 AMBecky v Rhea seems pretty good too.

Honestly, I'm surprised at just how hot WWE is right now. The product overall is not for me anymore, but it's hard to argue the success. Multiple sold out shows for weekly TV. Is it all just because Vince is now gone? Or are the shows really that much better?
I wonder if it's at all connected to how ludicrously expensive other live events have gotten. Is WWE just undercutting music and sports to a point where it's the borderline affordable option. Or are other events selling out so far in advance that it's often the only big event you can easily buy tickets direct for within a few days/weeks of the event.

Way more the Rock being around than Vince being gone either way.

You've also got a whole host of new generation wrestlers like Bron Breakker, Tiffany Stratton and Trick Williams that are coming through, so there's a sense that this momentum could carry on for a couple of years as part of an era.

BeardFaceMan

Didn't realize Brutus Beefcake's accident was so brutal, that was some fucked up shit.

Deanjam

Yeah, he was lucky to survive. It's the problem with wrestling lying about or exaggerating injuries. When a real one occurs you just assume it's not as bad as all that.

Mobius

Will Ospreay Vs. Shibata and Takeshita Vs. Swerve Strickland should be awesome

Ja'moke

Cardona going on his indie run has really fine tuned his skills. This surprise appearance to accept the Cope Open has been great.

Mobius

That was actually a genuine surprise too, unless I just missed a spoiler this week.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Mobius on March 31, 2024, 12:39:59 AMThat was actually a genuine surprise too, unless I just missed a spoiler this week.

No spoiler as far as I know.

Deanjam

Shocking that he blacked up for it though.