Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:42:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Who would want to own this?

Started by non capisco, December 22, 2023, 02:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

In Affleck's in Manchester, on the main stair from Oldham St with all the posters, there's one with stoned Teletubbies up in the corner and SKUNK PARK over the doorway with the boys and Chef stoned. Most of the posters have changed (they used to be ones you could actually buy in the merch shop it leads up to), but those two mustve survived for like 25 years for some reason.

Imagine south park but everyone smokes weed!!! Even in 1998 it would've been odd.

(Edit thought about this and the reason they survive is they're at the edges and not standard A1 size so not easy to swap out. I have thought about this too much now)

non capisco

Probably already said this on here before but I once saw a t-shirt with a photoshopped picture of Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister smoking a bifter and the words GAME OF WEED.

Ferris

Quote from: non capisco on March 28, 2024, 01:45:13 PMProbably already said this on here before but I once saw a t-shirt with a photoshopped picture of Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister smoking a bifter and the words GAME OF WEED.

That's so terrible it's amazing though. An absolute must-purchase.

buttgammon

The last time I was looking for a rolling tray, this was genuinely the least garish one I could find, from dozens of choices. What's wrong with plain metal? I also have a little jar with a picture of a bloodshot-eyed donkey smoking a massive joint because again, it was genuinely the least garish choice available at a time when I needed one.

Kankurette

I've got some of those fake Ladybird books. The art one was funny and my mum is actually like that but the other ones...ugh.

I am middle-class so definitely the target audience.

McFlymo

Quote from: non capisco on March 28, 2024, 01:45:13 PMProbably already said this on here before but I once saw a t-shirt with a photoshopped picture of Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister smoking a bifter and the words GAME OF WEED.

This sort of thing cracks me up.
Pop culture reference + weed.
So hilariously tacky.

In the same way there's those American Sweet Shops everywhere now, does every city now have those garish glittery furniture places? It's all silver leopards, tinsly cushions, suede sofas, bejewelled mirrors etc. All grey / silver / gold. All overpriced. All hideous.

gabrielconroy

Quote from: Kankurette on March 28, 2024, 02:15:45 PMI've got some of those fake Ladybird books. The art one was funny and my mum is actually like that but the other ones...ugh.

I am middle-class so definitely the target audience.

I actually knew one of the guys who wrote those books (or at least some of them, not sure - maybe also the Five Go Dogging or whatever they were called). He lived in a houseshare of my friends. Bit of a character, never stopped talking, and think it was all quite a cynical gig for him. Knock another one out, would you, whatever you think those people want to read, you know the sort of thing.

flotemysost

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 28, 2024, 01:31:01 PMIn Affleck's in Manchester, on the main stair from Oldham St with all the posters, there's one with stoned Teletubbies up in the corner and SKUNK PARK over the doorway with the boys and Chef stoned. Most of the posters have changed (they used to be ones you could actually buy in the merch shop it leads up to), but those two mustve survived for like 25 years for some reason.

Imagine south park but everyone smokes weed!!! Even in 1998 it would've been odd.

(Edit thought about this and the reason they survive is they're at the edges and not standard A1 size so not easy to swap out. I have thought about this too much now)

Ha! I love that this brand of "Camden Market T-shirt humour" as I call it (in my head) is so far gone past its heyday that it feels sort of heartwarmingly quaint and charming whenever you come across it now.

Saw a stony-faced serious runner type in the park the other day, hurtling past in a T-shirt with "THIS MAN [big arrow pointing stage left] LOVES COCK" on it. I guess that's the lot of this stuff now; no more outings to festivals or nights out, never again to raise an edgy smirk among your mates, forever consigned to perfunctory serious stuff.

Re: spectacularly low-effort Game of Thrones puns, there's a chain of axe-throwing centres called GAME OF THROWING which is pretty audacious.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Ferris on March 28, 2024, 01:47:48 PMThat's so terrible it's amazing though. An absolute must-purchase.

Game of STONED was right there too

Ferris

Quote from: Dex Sawash on March 28, 2024, 10:59:05 PMGame of STONED was right there too

Yeah but that's a semi-pun.

It's the blunt force shitness of "game of weed" that I find so funny. It's almost amazing to find a forced pun that works on literally zero levels. Even blind chance says it must work on one.

Bum Flaps

Quote from: flotemysost on March 28, 2024, 06:21:05 PMRe: spectacularly low-effort Game of Thrones puns, there's a chain of axe-throwing centres called GAME OF THROWING which is pretty audacious.

And GAME OF THROWS would have scanned much better

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on March 28, 2024, 01:22:14 PMYou can buy a bong st the post office? Mad

If they were savvy they'd do t-shirts with Postman Pat smoking a spliff and things like that. They need to rehabilitate their reputation after all this scandal so what better way to make themselves seem 'fun' again.

idunnosomename

Quote from: flotemysost on March 28, 2024, 06:21:05 PMHa! I love that this brand of "Camden Market T-shirt humour" as I call it (in my head) is so far gone past its heyday that it feels sort of heartwarmingly quaint and charming whenever you come across it now.
yes, it's kind of like raunchy seaside postcards by the 1980s. once outrageous, now cosy.

Here it is: Telenuggies, fucksake. im not even sure my size hypothesis works. all the other narrow posters at the top have changed over the years. it's not even pasted to the wall, it does seem it's been stubbornly kept, which is hilarious, fair play.

(the mounted frames right of Fools Gold that in that pic have Clockwork Orange/Spirited Away in them are a quartet that covers up a Michael Jackson Bad poster. the other four frames with Le Chat Noir/We Can Do It oddly tie together posters of the heads of All Time Low and the legs of Catfish and the Bottlemen. no I've never heard of them either)

at very least can prove it goes back to 2009. remember The Mighty Boosh???
https://www.flickr.com/photos/weasteman/3762900478/

seepage

Local shop that was a large Costa is now just full of 6'x 4' monochrome Princess Diana/David Bowie/Bob Marley/Marilyn Monroe/Enoch Powell covered in a sort of graffiti scrawl. Not sure who might be buying those

kalowski

There's a childish "illict" aura around spliffs, and always has been.
A picture of, say, Sunak, with a spliff if the height of subversive behaviour for some.
"Ha, you squares, it's a poster of Jeremy Clarkson with a blunt! Just imagine!!"

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Bum Flaps on March 29, 2024, 12:18:59 AMAnd GAME OF THROWS would have scanned much better

Would sound like a soft furnishings place tho

PlanktonSideburns

Would love a lady di smoking a blunt shirt, what would the pun be tho?

buttgammon

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on March 29, 2024, 08:11:52 AMWould love a lady di smoking a blunt shirt, what would the pun be tho?

Princess Highana?

I think the image of Diana smoking weed is one of the t-shirts Tommy's girlfriend designs in Saxondale.

Pseudopath

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on March 29, 2024, 08:11:52 AMWould love a lady di smoking a blunt shirt, what would the pun be tho?

Does Under Me Spensi work?

kalowski

Pass de duchess on de left hand side.

Edit: she wasn't a duchess.

non capisco

I've decided these are going to be my new sideline.

A t-shirt with Victor Meldrew smoking a bifter and saying "I DON'T BE-WEED IT!"

Pseudopath

Quote from: non capisco on March 29, 2024, 08:48:39 AMI've decided these are going to be my new sideline.

A t-shirt with Victor Meldrew smoking a bifter and saying "I DON'T BE-WEED IT!"

With an even-weaker One Puff in the Haze tagline underneath.

buttgammon

*The phone rings. Victor reaches over and picks up a massive lit bong instead of the receiver.*

Victor: 4, 2, 0.

Kankurette

Quote from: kalowski on March 29, 2024, 07:43:23 AMThere's a childish "illict" aura around spliffs, and always has been.
A picture of, say, Sunak, with a spliff if the height of subversive behaviour for some.
"Ha, you squares, it's a poster of Jeremy Clarkson with a blunt! Just imagine!!"
I remember UB40 doing this with Anne Widdecombe years ago.
Quote from: Pseudopath on March 29, 2024, 08:58:24 AMWith an even-weaker One Puff in the Haze tagline underneath.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: buttgammon on March 29, 2024, 08:37:06 AMPrincess Highana?

I think the image of Diana smoking weed is one of the t-shirts Tommy's girlfriend designs in Saxondale.

Perfect

Dex Sawash

Left-hander in the wind

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: kalowski on March 29, 2024, 08:41:15 AMPass de duchess on de left hand side.

Edit: she wasn't a duchess.

OK, this is the winner. Perfect! Let me know when I can pre order that Victor meldrew one also casp

jobotic

Lady's High (Lady Di)

Got to be one of Charles with his sausage fingers replaced with fat blunts.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: flotemysost on March 28, 2024, 06:21:05 PMHa! I love that this brand of "Camden Market T-shirt humour" as I call it (in my head) is so far gone past its heyday that it feels sort of heartwarmingly quaint and charming whenever you come across it now.