Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:02:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sadowitz tour dates for 2024

Started by Captain Crunch, November 11, 2023, 09:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Crunch

The Epstein, his usual venue in Liverpool has closed, so £30odd quid for standing @ 02 Academy means I'll give it a miss.

Captain Crunch

Upstairs only at the forum, shame it's not at the Leicester Square Theatre again. 

king_tubby

lauraxsynthesis

Trying to remember how big upstairs at the Forum is. He used to do a few nights in a row at Leicester Square Theatre and I'm curious why the change. Last time I saw him there was prob 2018 and somehow his act didn't seem funny anymore and I can't remember why. He was noticeably self-censoring though because there was a scary-looking man in the front row who'd been brought by friends and was clearly taking offence at something early on.

oggyraiding

Is he getting bigger? When I saw him in Nottingham 11 years ago it was a in a shitty smallish fairly intimate comedy club. Now he's at the Theatre Royal.

madhair60

had ticket for his last cambridge show and just didn't go. £30 down the toilet. i need professional help but they won't give it me.

Speak

Got tickets for Leeds, have never seen him live before and have never really heard or seen any of his stuff, only read bits online. Going to try and keep it that way, hopefully will enhance the experience.

sevendaughters

Bristol Hen and Chickens is relatively small, also I imagine they might get a case of the liberal anxieties before then

Ignatius_S

Quote from: oggyraiding on November 12, 2023, 03:19:09 PMIs he getting bigger? When I saw him in Nottingham 11 years ago it was a in a shitty smallish fairly intimate comedy club. Now he's at the Theatre Royal.

Looks very much the same sort of differences in venue size with this tour as when you saw him. First time I saw Sadowitz would have been roughly the the same time as you - that was the Lounge at St David's Hall in Cardiff. That venue is often used for day concerts and with mixed standing and seating, it has a capacity of 300 or so, but this is very adaptable (basically it's open plan and can be adjusted by screens) and for him, it was probably around the 150 mark but could have been a bit less. Not long after, he was playing Bath Komedia, which I think was a sell-out (or very close) - seated capacity is around 600, I think.

On this tour, the Brighton and Leeds venues are 300-400, IIRC. Not familiar with the Theatre Royal, but that's larger. The Hen and Chicken in Bristol is a very small venue - it's often used for acts trying out pre-Fringe material and punches above its weight for who it attracts.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: sevendaughters on November 13, 2023, 12:34:37 PMBristol Hen and Chickens is relatively small, also I imagine they might get a case of the liberal anxieties before then

Given their track record, I'd be surprised.

NattyDread 2

There are also some Scottish gigs coming up before he hits England -

Nov 18 Sat
Glasgow, The Pavilion Theatre

Feb 28 2024
    Livingston, Howden Park Centre

Feb 29 2024
    Galashiels, MacArts

Mar 01 2024
    Troon Concert Hall

Mar 02 2024
    Stirling, Albert Halls

Mar 03 2024
    Hamilton, The Town House

Mar 05 2024
    Aberdeen, Tivoli Theatre

Mar 06 2024
    Aberdeen, Tivoli Theatre

Mar 07 2024
    Dundee, Whitehall Theatre

Mar 08 2024
    Dunfermline, Alhambra Theatre

Mar 09 2024
    Greenock, Beacon Arts Centre

Tony Yeboah

Michael Redmond is opening for Sadowitz in Glasgow on Saturday.

Memorex MP3

Does he attract different types of crowd in different areas?

lankyguy95

A lot of people say to me "What are you doing in my fucking garden, you fucking sunken-eyed, homeless chic, Joe Pasquale rip-off cunt."

iamcoop

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on November 14, 2023, 11:44:14 AMDoes he attract different types of crowd in different areas?

Not sure about different areas but he definitely did in different venues.

I've seen him twice in Newcastle, the first time was at the Tyne Theatre & Opera house, a large venue that also attracts very mainstream comics (yer Jason Manfords etc), and I found it a very odd experience. The bar area beforehand felt like a bit of an EDL rally, and there was a definite vibe of people laughing at the racist gear in agreement more than anything else.

For whatever reason his act just didn't land that night for me at all, and I didn't particularly enjoy the experience.

I suppose he didn't enjoy it either as the next time he played Newcastle it was at The Stand comedy club, the crowd were clearly a lot more of a right-on "I'm-here-cos-of-Stewart-Lee" type audience and he was fucking amazing. Just an absolute whirlwind of grotesque self-loathing and abuse, probably the hardest I've ever laughed at anything.

This is all my perception though so could be total bollocks 

Tarquin

Sheffield City Hall, The Forum and...The Komedia, that's a weird downsize?

Haven't seen him live since the disaster of the double-act at Reading Festival but getting spat on at The Komeda sounds great.

PaulTMA

Saw him for the first and what will be the last time last night.  Really enjoyed the first 20 or so minutes and of course the magic at the end, but didn't enjoy the atmosphere at all, especially as a fight looked like it was about to break out almost right next to me.  It's fair to say that he is attracting a decent number of complete cunts.  Obviously I asked for it by going and he's clearly a gifted comedian but I just couldn't get the point of it all.  It just felt gross.

I thought two men got up and left when he laid into Farage, but they came back a few minutes later.  Ah well.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Tarquin on November 15, 2023, 12:19:59 AMSheffield City Hall, The Forum and...The Komedia, that's a weird downsize?

Haven't seen him live since the disaster of the double-act at Reading Festival but getting spat on at The Komeda sounds great.
[/quote

No - as mentioned above, there's been such in the past; I wouldn't say that's unique to Sadowitz.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on November 14, 2023, 11:44:14 AMDoes he attract different types of crowd in different areas?

I've seen Sadowitz and one venue, three times and each occasion, there was a different vibe to the audience. Another time at another venue, there was again, a different vibe. With one of the former occasions, there was a very good crowd and Sadowitz looked liked he was really enjoying it - so much so, that it looked to me that he couldn't keep up the relentlessly angry mode and the performance was rather playful with a fair bit of magic.

One of my friends, who has gone with me to his gigs, has said that they find it interesting seeing how different parts of the audience react differently to different material.

Capt.Midnight

The Bolton gig a few years ago also had a super mixed crowd. Some looked a bit far-right and shifty. Not many young people I'd say (20-30yrs, which myself and a friend fell into). Due to this variety, the drinks in the foyer were very hushed and conspiritorial. Such an odd vibe, it was great and slightly nervy. A middle aged man brought his Chinese partner along, who ended up walking out when the racist Chinese bits started. The man stayed and laughed. I did not know how to feel about that.

El Unicornio, mang

Noticed a bit during a rewatch of One Foot in the Grave recently (episode "Who Will Buy") where he's mentioned as one of the acts performing on stage before Victor.

QuoteWe've moved the Kray Sisters back, so it's now
Des Haemorrhage and Maggie Mussolini.

- OK,
- Right. Then comes Jerry Sadowitz.

There's then a Sadowitz lookalike at the beginning of the next episode.

Blinder Data

seen him a couple of times about a decade ago, both during the fringe. once in the playhouse which was my first and best experience. he said some horrible racist nonsense which a load of skinheads were laughing at. he then goes on a tirade against "our brave boys" which led to many of those skinheads leaving, the sound of the seats flapping up echoing in the auditorium.

one of my favourite bits was him recounting crushing up custard creams, putting them down his urethral opening and spunking them into a mirror. honestly it's the way he tells them...

I'd be tempted to see him at one of his shows in a smaller venue but I suspect post-"cancelling" he's more repentent than ever and attracted a worse crowd. also, his excuse that he insults everyone equally isn't true. I don't think he adequately attacks racists, homophobes, sexists or white people. many of his targets for his more offensive material (e.g. Diane Abbot) is the same as those of dodgy old blokes telling jokes down the pub

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Blinder Data on November 19, 2023, 09:12:21 PMseen him a couple of times about a decade ago, both during the fringe. once in the playhouse which was my first and best experience. he said some horrible racist nonsense which a load of skinheads were laughing at. he then goes on a tirade against "our brave boys" which led to many of those skinheads leaving, the sound of the seats flapping up echoing in the auditorium.

one of my favourite bits was him recounting crushing up custard creams, putting them down his urethral opening and spunking them into a mirror. honestly it's the way he tells them...

I'd be tempted to see him at one of his shows in a smaller venue but I suspect post-"cancelling" he's more repentent than ever and attracted a worse crowd. also, his excuse that he insults everyone equally isn't true. I don't think he adequately attacks racists, homophobes, sexists or white people. many of his targets for his more offensive material (e.g. Diane Abbot) is the same as those of dodgy old blokes telling jokes down the pub

Where was it that he said that?

chocolate teapot

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on November 19, 2023, 07:09:41 PMNoticed a bit during a rewatch of One Foot in the Grave recently (episode "Who Will Buy") where he's mentioned as one of the acts performing on stage before Victor.

No way that's so fucking cool. Last year I had planned to watch through all the OFITG series, gonna probs do this over Christmas now.

jobotic

Will there be a load of terfs in the crowd, after they adopted him earlier this year?

thenoise

Quote from: Ignatius_S on November 19, 2023, 09:47:00 PMWhere was it that he said that?

He calls himself an 'equal opportunities offender' in Total Abuse (I think).

thenoise

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on November 19, 2023, 07:09:41 PMNoticed a bit during a rewatch of One Foot in the Grave recently (episode "Who Will Buy") where he's mentioned as one of the acts performing on stage before Victor.

Renwick went on to write Jonathan Creek, about an elusive genius inventor of magic tricks with wild curly hair ...

PaulTMA

Quote from: jobotic on November 19, 2023, 10:51:04 PMWill there be a load of terfs in the crowd, after they adopted him earlier this year?

I would say three people clapped when he did his anti-trangender shite in glasgow a couple days ago, at least near me anyway.

Jerry Sadowitz is a pathetic man, fuck him.  If he enhances your life at this stage then that's a massive admission of
Failure.

PaulTMA

Quote from: jobotic on November 19, 2023, 10:51:04 PMWill there be a load of terfs in the crowd, after they adopted him earlier this year?

Yes