Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:56:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Kath and Kim

Started by Pink Gregory, March 19, 2024, 10:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

I looked it up:

QuoteEpponnee-Rae — full name Epponnee-Raelene Kathleen Darlene Charlene Craig — is the daughter of Kim and Brett on the early aughts Australian sitcom Kath & Kim.

Her name was invented as a parody of the "bogan" baby name style considered trendy at the time. In the show, Kim also considered names like Tailuh (Taylor) and Typhphaanniii (Tiffany) for her daughter.

If you like the sound of Epponnee but can't get past its origins, you could consider the French name Eponine or the English surname Epperly, also made famous by a television series, in this case, Gossip Girl.

QuoteBogan (/ˈboʊɡən/ BOHG-ən) is Australian and New Zealand slang for a person whose speech, clothing, attitude and behaviour are considered unrefined or unsophisticated. Depending on the context, the term can be pejorative or self-deprecating.

Edit: more...

Quote from: https://www.bhg.com.au/bogan-baby-namesSabrina Rogers-Anderson writes on Kidspot that the new 'bogan' trend includes changing the spelling of existing names, spelling names backwards, and coming up with new names formed by combining exotic syllables. The perfect example of this new bogan name trend is the female moniker 'Abcde', pronounced 'ab-si-dee'. This name has been around for a while in the US it was used 328 times between 1984 and 2014. We looked to Sabrina's book,  'The Little Book of Bogan Baby Names' for inspiration for this story.

Des Wigwam

Thanks @Barry Admin - really must renew my subscription to Google's excellent search engine!

This is now bringing out some memory where they discuss spellings - which is likely what I'm thinking of.

Need a K+K refresher - this is making me regret binning my Netflix sub.

Barry Admin

Yeah I can't find the DVDs or a working download.  I'm sure it's streaming, somewhere online.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Barry Admin on March 22, 2024, 01:48:15 PMYeah I can't find the DVDs or a working download.  I'm sure it's streaming, somewhere online.

S1&2 in stock online at CEX for not very much, nothing else though, did it all get released?

Angst in my Pants

Quote from: Pink Gregory on March 22, 2024, 01:51:48 PMS1&2 in stock online at CEX for not very much, nothing else though, did it all get released?
I think S3 & S4 were only released on Region 4 DVD. I very nearly bought them all when Netflix was threatening to delete the lot.

Des Wigwam

Question for the Australian (based) Cabbers - is it usual to have a butcher's shop in a shopping center? Or is there a bit of a joke in that.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Des Wigwam on March 22, 2024, 02:54:21 PMQuestion for the Australian (based) Cabbers - is it usual to have a butcher's shop in a shopping center? Or is there a bit of a joke in that.

is it implied that Kel's shop is in the ubiquitous Fountaingate?

(maybe it says directly and I haven't seen yet)

Des Wigwam

That does sound familiar. Have just looked it up and there's shit loads of shops I wouldn't expect to find in a UK shopping center - but bear in mind I'm basing this on the Vicky Center in Notts between 1974 and 1992, Princes Quay, Hull 1992-1998, and the new Bullring (pre-2015).

https://www.westfield.com.au/fountaingate/browse-stores

gilbertharding

I'm sure I remember butcher's shops being quite common in those poky little arcades you got in provincial towns in the 70s 80s... Dewhursts? Would have been next door to a large newsagent that wasn't WH Smiths, and a large chemists that wasn't Boots, and a shoe shop that might have been Freeman Hardy Willis. Kind of thing.

dr beat

I'm pretty sure Runcorn Shopping City had at least one of those.  No honestly, we genuinely used to go there quite a bit.

Endicott

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 22, 2024, 05:19:54 PMI'm sure I remember butcher's shops being quite common in those poky little arcades you got in provincial towns in the 70s 80s... Dewhursts? Would have been next door to a large newsagent that wasn't WH Smiths, and a large chemists that wasn't Boots, and a shoe shop that might have been Freeman Hardy Willis. Kind of thing.

Yes, this, and any shopping centre that was also in the centre of town. Where you don't find them is in large out of town shopping centres, or retail parks as they have become known, but then you don't get Sainsbury's or Tesco in those either.

And this is all a bit obfuscated by many independent butchers going out of business in the last 20 years or so.

gilbertharding

I'm thinking of this kind of place:

There's a BHS just out of shot, next door to Ratners.

Des Wigwam

Has the BHS got a very very brown cafeteria with a smoking section? That picture's overloaded my sense somewhat.

Something like Dewhurst's would have been on the indoor market section of the Victoria Center. But maybe I'm choosing not to remember buying raw meat then going next door to the haberdashery with mum while dad waits in Smith's or nips into The Nag's Head.

Endicott

That is a ceiling. Jesus Christ.

M & J Quality Meats! And a Radio Rentals.

famethrowa

Quote from: Des Wigwam on March 22, 2024, 02:54:21 PMQuestion for the Australian (based) Cabbers - is it usual to have a butcher's shop in a shopping center? Or is there a bit of a joke in that.

Absolutely usual yes

jobotic

Are you going to Tina's Hair Eisteddfod?

paddy72

Quote from: Des Wigwam on March 22, 2024, 03:09:52 PMThat does sound familiar. Have just looked it up and there's shit loads of shops I wouldn't expect to find in a UK shopping center - but bear in mind I'm basing this on the Vicky Center in Notts between 1974 and 1992, Princes Quay, Hull 1992-1998, and the new Bullring (pre-2015).

If you were a patron of Princes Quay, then surely you remember its forerunner The Prospect Centre?

famethrowa

Quote from: Des Wigwam on March 22, 2024, 03:09:52 PMThat does sound familiar. Have just looked it up and there's shit loads of shops I wouldn't expect to find in a UK shopping center - but bear in mind I'm basing this on the Vicky Center in Notts between 1974 and 1992, Princes Quay, Hull 1992-1998, and the new Bullring (pre-2015).

Not to be pedantic, but a lot of the Fountain Gate scenes are actually filmed at the nearby Southland shopping centre, which is so big it's got a highway going through it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westfield_Southland

In big Aussie shops like that you tend to have 2 big supermarkets, Coles and Woolworths, and inbetween will be a "fresh food market" section, you'll usually find a "gourmet" (expensive) butcher in there. Probably with fennel and mushroom sausages.

canadagoose

Surely Fountaingate is the shopping centre for that suburb as well as being a retail destination? You know, like those centres that new towns in the UK have, like Livingston Centre or something. That would explain the butcher's being there.

Edit: Or what Famethrowa said, to be fair.

majava

I mentioned this 'butcher in a shopping centre' discussion to my wife (Finnish) who also had never seen it until she moved to Australia. I had no idea it was such an odd concept.

Most biggish shopping centres in Australia have at least one independent butcher, a fishmonger, maybe even a butcher who only does poultry. The fishmonger might also be a takeaway. Then you'll have your local greengrocer, a Baker's Delight, and probably an Asian market or European deli depending on the local population. That's where you get your special meats. :)

This is both outer suburban and inner city, by the way. I'm going on my memories of growing up in Adelaide's outer north-eastern suburbs, then living in Sydney's inner-west. The only thing that changed was the quality and the yob to wanker ratio.

Des Wigwam

I would like to apologise for the way I've taken this thread but thanks please pass on thanks to your wife @majava - I feel vindicated and will simply pretend I also grew up in Finland.

Pink Gregory

wasn't enjoying S2 as much but I think I'm coming around to it, around the time of "I'm not gravel, Kim!" "Gravel gravel gravel gravel gravel!"

kalowski

Regularly say, "I'm just stretching me clacks" before exercise.

Aleister Growley

I especially liked Kel's cornrows and leather trousers during his 50th birthday male menopause.
Also the racehorse "Unpredictable Lad", a name I unsuccessfully proposed for our dog.

Pink Gregory

Anyone familiar with Big Girl's Blouse?

Seems like a lot of fun

"Nobble the bitch"

jobotic

Only from youtube.

I think Prue and Trude might have come from that show.

13 schoolyards

Quote from: jobotic on March 24, 2024, 08:12:12 PMOnly from youtube.

I think Prue and Trude might have come from that show.

You'd be correct. Kath and Kim and Sharon also got their start there

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: famethrowa on March 23, 2024, 08:19:31 AMNot to be pedantic, but a lot of the Fountain Gate scenes are actually filmed at the nearby Southland shopping centre
Never understood why they did that, maybe they got filming rights for Fountain Gate first but then discovered Southland was cheaper.  Next time I'm there I'll have to remember to get some photos of where Kels shop was.

If you need more of a Glenn Robbins fix, there's the excellent (and previously mentioned on CaB) All Aussie Adventures.  There's also Upper Middle Bogan but it's much more traditional sitcom than K&K and thus not quite as good.

Also regarding cameos:
Spoiler alert
I wholeheartedly agree that the Lucas cameo was overall just a bit shit, by product of Little Britain being big at the time I think.
[close]

Pink Gregory

Addition of Kim's dad feels like a huge mistake.  Cartoon character inserted for needless plot development.