Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:27:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Decemberists

Started by Peacock Johnson, February 16, 2024, 10:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
New single "Burial Ground" recently released therefore presumably an album imminent.

I do really like these but not so blind that I can't see why they really grate for some; bit twee, bit weedy even when trying to rock, that whole Portland scene.

Nevertheless I do kinda like all that and the whole literary pop thing; I've discovered a lot of history and stuff on the back of their songs ("Shankhill Butchers" being a prime example).

Favourite album probably The Hazards of Love - just really into the whole concept thing and from what videos I've seen of the tour for it playing the whole thing thru looked great fun.

Really like Picaresque and The Crane Wife too.

lauraxsynthesis

Castaways and Cutouts all the way for me. The least American sounding album which may be a factor. This new song sounds like 1970s Christian folk or something and I don't think it's going to grow on me. I'll give the new album a listen though if there is one. I'll probably also get along to this gig in August in London that has a remarkable lineup. Death Cab AND Postal Service. The set The Decemberists did at All Tomorrow's Parties is one of the top 3 gigs I've ever seen. 

Waking Life

I really enjoy the albums I have (had? Castaways, Picaresque, Crane Wife) and the literary lyrics, but his voice got the better of me over time. I noticed the later albums had a lot of bloated songs - buoyed by the Mariners Revenge song, so to speak - and I just lost any interest.

I'll probably go to that All Points East gig though.

Critcho

I really loved individual songs but always found their records a little hit and miss. And like a lot of bands from that era my attention started to drift away from whattever new things they were getting up after a certain point.

My favourite longer thing they did was that 20 minute multipart song they put out, The Tain, it really worked I think:

phantom_power

They got less interesting when they stopped singing about dead children. The lyrics got less interesting and the music more generic. Love the first 4 or 5 albums though, up to Hazards of Love I would say

Jim_MacLaine

I always preferred the offshoot, Black Prairie.

dissolute ocelot

Do they still do the fake Cockney shit? Having said that, I think I preferred the fake Cockney shit to the later stuff which was very ordinary and hard to think of a reason for listening to.

They were perhaps the first band I saw who got everyone to crouch on the floor, which everyone is doing now, so maybe trendsetters for that at least.

phantom_power

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on February 23, 2024, 12:09:45 PMDo they still do the fake Cockney shit?

What songs did they do fake cockney shit in? Like accents or just plot?

Russ L

I like them, I think they're good.

I don't really have anything to add beyond that.

OK thanks seeya.

Toki

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on February 23, 2024, 12:09:45 PMDo they still do the fake Cockney shit?

That was Ian Dury.

I like 16 Military Wives and really like a lot of The Crane Wife, but they both remind me of really shitty times, which makes me a bit reluctant to check out more. Irrational, I'll get over it tonight and check out the new stuff.

New album As It Ever Was, So It Will Be Again out on June 14th - their longest album yet seemingly, which is saying something for them.

New track out now too.

Memorex MP3

Why am I abruptly hearing about the Decemberists more than I've heard them mentioned since about 2007? Is it just because they haven't put out an album in 6 years or has their stuff had a bit of a revival on tiktok or in some film or something?

^ don't know about any kind of Decemberists revival or meme status, just think they are well regarded and yes 6 years been a bit of a wait for them.

Anyway, new song "Joan In The Garden" is a 20 minute prog-gy epic so high hopes for this new album.

Jerzy Bondov

Hazards of Love is so good. When I listen to it I can see big headed shadow puppets in my head. The Rake's Song is such a banging song about murdering your children. Otherwise I've liked a lot of their other songs but never really delved into albums. I definitely see how they can come across as desperately uncool but I'm also like that anyway.

Jerzy Bondov

Wait, no, I really liked the folk album they did with Olivia Chaney as Offa Rex.

Brundle-Fly

I can't believe it's been twenty years since I saw then play at The Water Rats in Kings Cross. They were very good but I do remember thinking the frontman sang like Brian Molko, something I've never been able to disconnect.