Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:27:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

why was there not more big Chuck Palahniuk films after Fight Club?

Started by willbo, January 17, 2023, 09:49:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willbo

I remember in the years after FC I thought that he'd become a "cult fiction" Stephen King and Hollywood would adapt lots more of his stuff. But there was only a Choke adaption which was far less famous/watched. Is that because none of his other stuff has the simple, general appeal of FC and is more weird and challenging?

Famous Mortimer

I read two or three novels of his after Fight Club and they just weren't very good. That's never stopped rights-buyers before, of course.

willbo

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 17, 2023, 12:12:46 PMI read two or three novels of his after Fight Club and they just weren't very good. That's never stopped rights-buyers before, of course.

yeah I tried to read a couple and they were definitely more esoteric and less wide appeal or attention-grabbing. Not up to date with his last few tho

dontpaintyourteeth

I watched the movie version of Choke. It wasn't great. Britta was in it

Mister Six

I haven't read his more recent stuff, but I went on a binge back then and really enjoyed Survivor.

Probably, yes, the weirdness. Also, Fight Club wasn't a box office success so there wasn't a huge incentive for studios to follow suit.

Plus, the early novels seemed to follow a bit of a pattern: normal person with odd obsession/interest finds themselves in extraordinary circumstances paired up with an oddball renegade, the pair go on a bit of a road trip through strange subcultures, and it ends on a strangely upbeat note.

13 schoolyards

From what I remember at the time it wasn't a critical hit, and as Mister Six says it wasn't a big money maker. Obviously it's proven to be influential in the years since (much like box office flop Blade Runner) so maybe we'll get a crap sequel* in another decade or so (much like Blade Runner)

It was a passion project from a hot director that didn't really connect with a large audience at the time - it definitely gave Palahniuk's career a boost but none of his other novels seemed like they'd result in better films and if David Fincher couldn't turn Fight Club into a smash hit who could?

*there's been a couple of comic sequels, but as they were drawn by confirmed sex pest Cameron Stewart, nobody mentions them much these days

Hank_Kingsley

He's a bit of his time now, I can't see them doing any Douglas Coupland adaptations nowadays either. What's he got in the tank that people really want to see? A series based on 'Haunted'? Are Netflix  going to make some lad getting his
Spoiler alert
guts pulled through their bottom by a pool pump
[close]
the next big thing?

Jerzy Bondov

I'm sure I had a copy of Survivor where it said on the front it was going to be a movie. Possibly scuppered by 9/11? Thanks a lot George Bush.

madhair60