Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:01:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Beano-more

Started by bgmnts, January 20, 2023, 03:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

David Sutherland, artist behind the Bash Street Kids, dead.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-64339747

Had a few Beano annuals growing up for some reason and I Bash Street Kids were always my favourite part, so fair play to him that's a boss legacy.

Kankurette

Aw, no. The Bash Street Kids were one of my favourite strips. 89 is a pretty good innings though.

Glebe

Aw sad news RIP, his Bash Street characters were delightfully funny. Always remember one where Teacher is toasting a bit of bread on a stick in the staffroom and singing 'Hey diddle-dee-dee, a teacher's life for me!"

Glebe

Nowhere Man

I can't say enough about how much I loved The Beano as a kid (as well as all the old copies of Whizzer and Chips and Buster comic an all that which I inherited)

The one I remember most is when (Danny? Hat kid) gives a laxative to Fatty, and Teacher unknowingly eats a whole packet of chocolate laxatives.

Love a good slap up feast, eh readers?

I remember a strip in an annual.  Teacher asks if anyone knows what ornithology is.  'It's the study of stag 'orns,' answers Smiffy.  An arrow points towards teacher, saying 'pained expression.'

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on January 28, 2023, 07:10:56 PMI remember a strip in an annual.  Teacher asks if anyone knows what ornithology is.  'It's the study of stag 'orns,' answers Smiffy.  An arrow points towards teacher, saying 'pained expression.'

This has made me laugh out loud.

I've been picking up some of the Ken Reid collections that have come out over the past few years and they've made me laugh more than almost all new telly comedy I've liked in quite some time.

This is a good example as it combines two of my favourite elements, accurately rendered slang/dialect and descriptions of visual things in a visual medium.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on January 28, 2023, 07:10:56 PMI remember a strip in an annual.  Teacher asks if anyone knows what ornithology is.  'It's the study of stag 'orns,' answers Smiffy.  An arrow points towards teacher, saying 'pained expression.'

The Two Ninnies consider rewrite

Replies From View

I have fond memories of labels standing in for sufficiently expressive drawing talent.

I remember when I was about 9 reading a Beano annual with my best friend, who burst out laughing at a picture of Dennis kicking a ball.

I wondered what had tickled him so magnificently; it was because the verb BOOT had been written above Dennis' shoe, but it looked like it was labelling his footwear rather than describing the action.  There was a line from the word to the object.  BOOT.

Replies From View

The Beano very rarely made me laugh as per the depictions of "readers of the Beano" chortling away, but I do remember my older brother bewildered by my unstoppable laughter at a Bash Street Kids strip showing all the Bash Street Kids attempting and failing to get their pens to work due to icy temperature.

I'll try to dig that out at some point.  One of the late 70s Beano Books I would guess.

Glebe

dontpaintyourteeth

The old soft shoe, a rooty tooty too