Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:42:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ursula K. Le Guin

Started by holyzombiejesus, October 11, 2022, 12:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Seen a few praise her on here. Not being facetious but is it all dragons and elves and stuff? What would be the best book to start with?

dontpaintyourteeth

Not really, usually more SF, or speculative fiction if you're a snob I suppose. Can happily recommend the short story collection The Wind's Twelve Quarters and the novel The Lathe of Heaven. A lot of people swear by Left Hand of Darkness but I found that one quite hard to get into, meself.

Dayraven

QuoteNot being facetious but is it all dragons and elves and stuff?
The Earthsea books are the closest she got to a cookie-cutter fantasy setting, and they're still fairly distinct.

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

Quote from: Dayraven on October 11, 2022, 12:58:35 PMThe Earthsea books are the closest she got to a cookie-cutter fantasy setting, and they're still fairly distinct.
Obligatory mention here for the fourth and fifth books in the Earthsea trilogy (yeah, I didn't know about them for years, either) which are genuinely extraordinary, and put a whole new perspective on what is still seen as a very white, very male genre.

Kankurette

I've seen the Ghibli movie but apparently it's nothing like the books and cut a lot of stuff out. It's sort of a mash-up of Tehanu and The Farthest Shore. My mate who went with me is a Le Guin fan and they hated it.

Endicott

The Disposessed is her go at presenting an anarchist society and contrasting it with blatant capitalism. It's a very good read.

wrec

The Lathe of Heaven is my favourite, sometimes described as the best Philip K Dick novel he never wrote. It's a very PKD concept but Le Guin is much better as a writer.

The Dispossessed is up there too. The political aspect is discussed most but I found the relationship at the heart of it particularly convincing and moving.

The Left Hand of Darkness is also a cracker, as is very obvious Nam allegory The Word for World is Forest.

I read The Winds Twelve Quarters & The Compass Rose recently, fantastic at its best but I find the more fantasy leaning stories less up my street.

Never sure whether I should give Earthsea a go or if it's more of a YA thing.

Famous Mortimer

Left Hand Of Darkness is fantastic, agreed.

There's a great PBS version of "The Lathe Of Heaven" from 1980 available on Youtube, if you're in the mood:

Pranet

Most of the books generally considered to be her best ones mentioned here already- Lathe of Heaven (I was going to compare it to PKD as well), the Dispossessed, Left Hand of Darkness.

Maybe a notch below is The Word for World is Forest.

On Earthsea- it is what would now be considered YA (the first three books anyway, the later books are pretty grim) but I never felt patronised or got that feeling I sometimes get when reading a kid's book that it isn't quite enough. Also, they are all really short so you can read the first one and if it isn't for you you haven't wasted much time.

A personal favourite is the short story collection The Birthday of the World- has two stories that I think about all the time.

One word of warning- her books are cursed with the worst covers- I would have started reader her sooner if it wasn't for the terrible covers. I remember being a book shop looking at one of her books and putting back on the shelf because I couldn't bring myself to buy a book with such a terrible cover.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Pranet on October 11, 2022, 05:56:45 PMOne word of warning- her books are cursed with the worst covers- I would have started reader her sooner if it wasn't for the terrible covers. I remember being a book shop looking at one of her books and putting back on the shelf because I couldn't bring myself to buy a book with such a terrible cover.
Agreed. Which is why I bought this collection, as it looks lovely.

Vodkafone

willbo

get a compilation of the Earthsea books