Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,802
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:27:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

ITV Scheduling and Wild Wild West

Started by SavageHedgehog, February 26, 2012, 03:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SavageHedgehog

Why does Wild Wild West seem to be on at least one of the ITV channels at least once every weekend? It was genuinely quite unpopular wasn't it? Do you think there's someone at ITV whose a big Wild Wild West fan whose trying to convince the world they were wrong? If so I think it's working. Go Will! Beat that mechanical spider!

biggytitbo

ITV 3 shows the back to the future films roughly 200 times a month and have done for years.

non capisco

There was a point a couple of years ago when Film Four would have had you believe that 'Lucky Number Slevin' was the only film that had ever been made. Never off air it was. Seemed to be appropriate to whatever 'season' they'd come up with. 'Films beginning with L season' might as well have been one of them. If you loved 'Lucky Number Slevin' so much, Film Four, why didn't you marry it?!!

Still haven't seen it, mind.

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 26, 2012, 03:34:21 PM
ITV 3 shows the back to the future films roughly 200 times a month and have done for years.

My elder brother hates those films, but I hilariously pretend that he loves them.  Every time I spot that one of them is on I make a point of texting him and telling him not to miss it.

Dead kate moss

Was going to post something on this subject. There are basically 20-40 films that are always on, somewhere. All the Will Smith ones, King Kong, Godzilla, Charlie & The Chocolate Factory, Jurassic Parks...

It is notable that most of these movies were successful at the cinema,, but Wild Wild West definitely wasn't.

It's annoying, there are plenty of films they never show, but the world has subtly changed so that we have hundreds of channels with the same handful of movies to ever watch on them.

Oh and fucking You've Got Mail has been on so often lately I've perfected my Meg Ryan impersonation.

biggytitbo

I bet Back to the Future holds the world record for been shown most times in one calender year though.

Dead kate moss

I had a theory that perhaps these movies are so cheap to show because they are so full of product placement the movie right's owners make enough money from that anytime it's shown to give them away, or even pay for them to be shown. Though that can't be the case with Wild Wild West..? Or King Kong I suppose.

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 26, 2012, 06:04:11 PM
I bet Back to the Future holds the world record for been shown most times in one calender year though.

It seems that way, but with two sequels it seems to be on more often than it is.  I'd say probably the trilogy as a whole, yes.

Replies From View

And Terminator 2 always seems to be on.

Dead kate moss

Repeat offender Mummy Returns on as we speak.

buntyman

There are quite a lot of critically panned films that get a lot of airings on the ITV channels. It must be cheaper to show them or something as The Fast and the Furious, Pearl Harbour and Under Siege are always on.

SavageHedgehog

Those are all quite popular among your actual public though, or at least were[nb]Pearl Harbour less so maybe, but it was popular with Affleck and Hartnett's tennybopper fanbase[/nb]; Wild Wild West, not so much.

Replies From View

The theme tune to the fucking Archers keeps getting repeated on Radio 4.  I always turn the radio off during the tune so I can't tell you if it's the same exact episode always on.

Subtle Mocking

Quadrophenia is pretty much the only film that ITV4 seem to show. Who watches that channel anyway?

shiftwork2

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on February 26, 2012, 07:07:37 PM
...ITV4... Who watches that channel anyway?

SHUT IT

WE'RE THE SWEENEY SON, AND WE HAVEN'T HAD ANY TROUSERS

idunnosomename

Steptoe and Son Ride Again seemed to be always on Sky Movies.

Sky Movies seems great but when you have it it never seems to have any films on it you want to watch. You think when something's on at the cinema "oh I might watch that when it comes on Sky Movies" but it doesn't, except for Box Office. It's just Steptoe and Son Ride Again.

Serge

When I first had Film Four, it seemed like 'Phone Booth' was on every night.

Cohaagen

Can't say I've noticed Wild Wild West that much, but I am continually taunted by the interminable, ubiquitous presence of the fucking rotten I, Robot on Film Four, E4 and More 4. Every goddamn week, sometimes multiple showings. If you include the +1s I bet there have been weeks when it's almost reached double figures.

American Pie 2 has been on an awful lot recently.

Replies From View

Not that many films left to list before we're saying that "all films are constantly on television"!!!

Hank_Kingsley

I can't turn on the TV without seeing Tarkovsky's 'Stalker' nowadays!

The Roofdog

No it's only been on once, it's just so fucking long that it's still on.

Replies From View

That Shoah seems to be on all day when it is.

The Roofdog

Hank_Kingsley

Whenever I had mates sleeping over as a teenager[nb]Not in a gay way, mind.[/nb]there always seemed to be a screening of anthology horror film 'Asylum' on BBC 1. It was either that, or a generic late night 'erotic thriller' starring Shannon Tweed or someone with a distinct lack of eroticism and thrills.

The Roofdog

I always thought it was a good night if you got a Tweed. Better than having to make do with 'The Hand That Rocks The Cradle'.

small_world

I love Milla Jovovich, but the sheer amount of times The Fifth Element is on on Channel 5, is a joke.

Replies From View

El Unicornio, mang