Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:26:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"And the winner is..." (2024 awards season thread)

Started by Blinder Data, January 08, 2024, 03:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinder Data

basically wanted to start this thread because it's quite funny that Bradley Cooper has poured sweat, blood and tears into the most Oscar-baiting film possible, and the likes of Cillian Murphy are going to walk away with everything even though he gives the impression of not giving a fuck

also since when was it decided the Golden Globes were no longer racist?

anyway, congratulations to all involved. didn't they look fabulous? mwah

Mister Six

Emma Stone should take the best actress Oscar for Poor Things.

Lily Gladstone deserves to take best supporting actress for her fantastic performance in Killers of the Flower Moon, but she'll take it because the liberals will see an opportunity to "uplift" a Native American.

Dunno about the rest, haven't really thought about it.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Mister Six on January 08, 2024, 03:28:05 PMEmma Stone should take the best actress Oscar for Poor Things.

Can't comment on Emma Stone as not seen Poor Things yet but of those I have seen, Sandra Hüller should win for Anatomy of a Fall.

surreal

Are the Oscars back on ITV this year?  I'm sure I heard Sky lost the contract so I might actually be able to watch it for the first time in 20 years...

Oppenheimer is pretty sure to wrap everything up, it's a shame for Barbie but it's going to miss out on all but song I think - they've put it in as "Adapted Screenplay" too so even that will miss out I think, probably to KotFM I guess.

Anatomy of a Fall might have a shot at Foreign Language.

Best Actor - Cillian Murphy
Best Actress - Emma Stone (not seen it yet but so much hype)
Supporting Actor - RDJr for Oppenheimer
Supporting Actress - Lily Gladstone (but I think Emily Blunt deserves it for Oppenheimer too tbh)
Best Movie - Oppenheimer
Best Director - Christopher Nolan
Best Screenplay - Oppenheimer
Adapted Screenplay - KotFM
Best Song - Billie Eilish "What was I made for"

Any more?

Butchers Blind

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Butchers Blind on January 08, 2024, 04:59:47 PMOppenheimer winning anything would be a mistake.

Well, you won't be thrilled ...

Utterly boring and sometimes frustrating results (Gervais), but this New & Not Racist iteration of the Golden Globes seems to have done something right because people bizarrely seem to care about it again. Friends of mine watched it, even, which hasn't been done for years.

Obviously it's all a load of shite and the sooner we collectively agree to ignore these institutions entirely the better. The only worthwhile thing about these ceremonies is getting to watch someone who tried very hard to get an award not getting it. I like seeing them on the Red Carpet, posing for their photographs, winking at their peers ... and then losing. Austin Butler is forever "possessed by the spirit of Elvis Presley", and then lost to Fat Brendan Fraser. Elvis is living in him rent-free.

This year, I'll be watching writer/director/star Bradley Cooper mincing it up with all his fellow auteurs and then utterly not winning. I'll also be watching Leonardo DiCaprio endlessly watching clips of himself Sling Blading throughout the evening and then completely failing to win anything for it. It's the only joy I'll get from the whole affair.

I also hope someone mentions Gaza and makes the whole thing incredibly uncomfortable. Ruins everyone's big night.

twosclues

Anatomy Of A Fall is ineligible for International Film as France chose The Taste Of Things instead, so Screenplay is its best shot.

Gladstone will be nominated (and likely win) in Lead and not Supporting.

Like 1917 and The Power Of The Dog in recent years, Oppenheimer being early favourite could possibly work to its detriment as awards season is stretched out for so long, but I feel like it may be too big to fail at this point. I've had Past Lives in my head as a potential spoiler, having that little movie that could energy that CODA had, except Past Lives is far more beloved critically.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 08, 2024, 07:02:25 PMObviously it's all a load of shite and the sooner we collectively agree to ignore these institutions entirely the better.
One might reasonably respond "speak for yourself", as quite a lot of people are already happily ignoring it. Although this thread did inspire me to look at the winners and I see there's one for "Cinematic and box office achievement", which is vaguely pathetic.

Mister Six

Quote from: twosclues on January 08, 2024, 07:24:59 PMGladstone will be nominated (and likely win) in Lead and not Supporting.

Is she eligible? The lead KotFM was DiCaprio, wasn't it? With Gladstone as an adjunct to his story. Although I'm not up on precisely what constitutes a lead vs supporting role. There have been actors who seem to get 50% of the screentime being nominated for supporting actor before. Although Barbie being put in for best adapted screenplay, like Glass Onion last year, suggest that nobody's really thinking this stuff through too hard.

Quote from: twosclues on January 08, 2024, 07:24:59 PMI've had Past Lives in my head as a potential spoiler, having that little movie that could energy that CODA had, except Past Lives is far more beloved critically.

God, I wish I could see what everyone else sees in Past Lives.

twosclues

Quote from: Mister Six on January 08, 2024, 08:09:38 PMIs she eligible? The lead KotFM was DiCaprio, wasn't it? With Gladstone as an adjunct to his story. Although I'm not up on precisely what constitutes a lead vs supporting role. There have been actors who seem to get 50% of the screentime being nominated for supporting actor before. Although Barbie being put in for best adapted screenplay, like Glass Onion last year, suggest that nobody's really thinking this stuff through too hard.

I'm not sure if there is a certain amount of screen time you have to clear before you're considered lead, but category fraud is something that often happens if a studio thinks a performance has a better chance in a different category. Olivia Colman in The Favourite is a recent example that comes to mind, winning for lead while Emma Stone was nominated in Supporting.

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 08, 2024, 07:02:25 PMWell, you won't be thrilled ...

Utterly boring and sometimes frustrating results (Gervais), but this New & Not Racist iteration of the Golden Globes seems to have done something right because people bizarrely seem to care about it again. Friends of mine watched it, even, which hasn't been done for years.

Obviously it's all a load of shite and the sooner we collectively agree to ignore these institutions entirely the better. The only worthwhile thing about these ceremonies is getting to watch someone who tried very hard to get an award not getting it. I like seeing them on the Red Carpet, posing for their photographs, winking at their peers ... and then losing. Austin Butler is forever "possessed by the spirit of Elvis Presley", and then lost to Fat Brendan Fraser. Elvis is living in him rent-free.

This year, I'll be watching writer/director/star Bradley Cooper mincing it up with all his fellow auteurs and then utterly not winning. I'll also be watching Leonardo DiCaprio endlessly watching clips of himself Sling Blading throughout the evening and then completely failing to win anything for it. It's the only joy I'll get from the whole affair.

I also hope someone mentions Gaza and makes the whole thing incredibly uncomfortable. Ruins everyone's big night.

Precisely why I get Oscar Fever every year, even though it is probably the least credible voting pool. It's a great spectacle/tradition, and we've had some fun moments in recent years: the Will Smith slap, the hilarious Anthony Hopkins win to ruin the ceremony, Todd Fields wearing a dumb little hat.

Quote from: Mister Six on January 08, 2024, 08:09:38 PMIs she eligible? The lead KotFM was DiCaprio, wasn't it? With Gladstone as an adjunct to his story. Although I'm not up on precisely what constitutes a lead vs supporting role. There have been actors who seem to get 50% of the screentime being nominated for supporting actor before. Although Barbie being put in for best adapted screenplay, like Glass Onion last year, suggest that nobody's really thinking this stuff through too hard.

I don't think there are any rules really, it's just gamesmanship by the studios to try and get actors/movies nominated in the category they have a better chance of winning.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: convulsivespace on January 08, 2024, 08:37:48 PMI don't think there are any rules really, it's just gamesmanship by the studios to try and get actors/movies nominated in the category they have a better chance of winning.
I remember there being the mildest of kerfuffles over some best actor nominee having less screen time than a best supporting actor nominee, or something like that.

Glebe

I see the Golden Globes host is getting a kicking, looking at a bit of his monologue on YT I'm not surprised. Talk about weak gags. Those cheesy 'Hollywood' teeth don't help matters.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 08, 2024, 08:07:24 PMOne might reasonably respond "speak for yourself", as quite a lot of people are already happily ignoring it.

This year's Globes has been the most-watched since pre-COVID, and the Oscars have been on their way back up too. I'd (perhaps naively) hoped that the strikes last year might have seen a bit of boycotting - from actors and writers, if not audiences - of the studios' most obnoxious displays of autofellatio, but no such luck.

Minami Minegishi

Delighted to see that Oppenheimer shit get lauded by the same people who would give a comedy award to our boy Ricky.

Any frustration/anger/irritability I have about someone like Nolan getting film awards just evaporated.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 08, 2024, 10:34:35 PMThis year's Globes has been the most-watched since pre-COVID, and the Oscars have been on their way back up too. I'd (perhaps naively) hoped that the strikes last year might have seen a bit of boycotting - from actors and writers, if not audiences - of the studios' most obnoxious displays of autofellatio, but no such luck.
Is this TV ratings? It's been a while since I've heard them used in a discussion.

13 schoolyards

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 08, 2024, 10:34:35 PMThis year's Globes has been the most-watched since pre-COVID, and the Oscars have been on their way back up too. I'd (perhaps naively) hoped that the strikes last year might have seen a bit of boycotting - from actors and writers, if not audiences - of the studios' most obnoxious displays of autofellatio, but no such luck.

Why would actors and writers boycott big events designed to promote their work?

From what I've read, this year's Golden Globes have been shat on by pretty much everyone as a flop, and the phrase "most-watched since COVID" means the same as "after a massive downwards lurch, they've recovered to now just be steadily trending downwards". The Globes only had a prime place in the pre-Oscar schedule because they were the shoddy, boozy awards where things might get interesting; without that, they're going to struggle - like every other award that relies on linear TV ratings for relevancy.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Bad Ambassador

And me. It's fine, nothing wrong with it, but it feels intensely personal in a way that doesn't really translate to someone else who hasn't had those experiences.

Mister Six

The thing is, I've had some of those experiences! I met my now-wife in Asia, she moved to the US to study and ended up working in New York. We had a tough long-distance relationship that reached a breaking point, I moved to NYC and now we're married. I should be able to related to both of the guys in this, but I felt nothing.

I think it's kind of like The Joker, but for women: a film that is beautifully shot, so gives an impression of prestige value, but is ultimately so hollow that vacuum sucks in the audience's own beliefs and interests, giving it a weight for them that the script fundamentally does not possess.

Blinder Data

Mister Six

Small Man Big Horse

I think Oppenheimer will win best film, but I'm hoping Greta Gerwig will get best director if only for the scenes set in Barbie's world which were beautifully visualised and the most fun I had at the cinema all year. I'd like Paul Giamatti to win Best Actor as well as he really is lovely in The Homecoming, but imagine Murphy will get that one.

Noodle Lizard

It'd be good if the Oscar VTs are full of that clip of Oppenheimer groaning "destroyer of all worlds!" as he enters a vagina.

superthunderstingcar

I think Braveheart winning the Best Picture Oscar ought to have discredited American awards ceremonies forever, in much the same way that Julian Clary's Norman Lamont joke (or rather the backlash to it) did for UK comedy awards.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: superthunderstingcar on January 11, 2024, 09:39:50 AMI think Braveheart winning the Best Picture Oscar ought to have discredited American awards ceremonies forever, in much the same way that Julian Clary's Norman Lamont joke (or rather the backlash to it) did for UK comedy awards.

Dances With Wolves beating Goodfellas a few years earlier for best film and best director surely a much bigger crime (actually Ordinary People beating Raging Bull 10 years earlier maybe even worse)

superthunderstingcar

You're right, my statement presupposed that American awards ceremonies had some credibility to begin with. This was not the case.

dissolute ocelot

The Bafta best film longlist is

• All of Us Strangers
  • Anatomy of a Fall
  • Barbie
  • The Holdovers
  • Killers of The Flower Moon
  • Maestro
  • Oppenheimer
  • Past Lives
  • Poor Things
  • The Zone of Interest

They also longlisted Lily Gladstone and Sandra Hüller for best actress, as well as Barry Keoghan's bum for best actor, but he's not going to beat Cillian Murphy is he? Julianne Moore is up for supporting actress for May December, for fans of questionable category selection - Natalie Portman is probably the lead in that, the way it's written, but Moore dominates the screen throughout.

Hopefully I'll get to see Poor Things this weekend and have some kind of an opinion.

As for the Oscars, I don't want Oppenheimer to win much, but think it would be quite nice for Robert Downey Jr to win best supporting actor as he's not got an Oscar yet (despite getting nominations for Chaplin and Tropic Thunder) and he's done a lot of entertaining work over the years. Although Mark Ruffalo (Poor Things, probably would be supporting actor) is overdue an Oscar too, if they wanna keep it Marvel.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 12, 2024, 04:38:51 PMAs for the Oscars, I don't want Oppenheimer to win much, but think it would be quite nice for Robert Downey Jr to win best supporting actor as he's not got an Oscar yet (despite getting nominations for Chaplin and Tropic Thunder) and he's done a lot of entertaining work over the years. Although Mark Ruffalo (Poor Things, probably would be supporting actor) is overdue an Oscar too, if they wanna keep it Marvel.