Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,330
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:43:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Yet Another Whiny Marvel Thread

Started by dissolute ocelot, November 02, 2023, 01:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Ambassador

This is the first summer that hasn't started with a Marvel adaptation since Mission: Impossible III in 2006.

Magnum Valentino

Can I just ask what you mean by started with? And what's the date for "summer"? Good trivia but I don't understand he way it's phrased.

Mister Six

Okay, I'll bite - what Marvel thing was Mission: Impossible 3 adapting?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 29, 2024, 11:13:24 PMDisney have so many other sources of revenue

Yeah, if they make 5 or 10 billion a year from the films, the theme parks are making over 30 billion a year. Puts it in perspective.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on March 26, 2024, 12:54:25 PMCan I just ask what you mean by started with? And what's the date for "summer"? Good trivia but I don't understand he way it's phrased.

First weekend in May is the start of the summer film season. And not counting the two pandemic years.

madhair60

Quote from: Mister Six on March 26, 2024, 12:55:32 PMOkay, I'll bite - what Marvel thing was Mission: Impossible 3 adapting?

Mister Six

Liefeld's Mission: Impossible is drawing convincing feet.

madhair60

leave him alone he helped found Image

Gulftastic

Clip of Florence Pugh backstage filming 'Thunderbolts' is doing the rounds in the usual places.

She may well save the MCU. 

bgmnts

If it weren't for the private education system in Britain, Hollywood would be on its ASS.

samadriel

I don't know whether to thank the private education system or STICK IT UP MY ASS!

dissolute ocelot

No change at Disney, as activist investor Nelson Peltz has been defeated. He was complaining about the unprofitability of Disney+ and the underperformance of various franchises such as Marvel and Star Wars, and he was pushing for a change of leadership.

But Peltz was also a bit of a dick, moaning about Disney making films with lots of women and black people, which he blamed for Disney losing money (despite Black Panther making lots of money and Chadwick Boseman's untimely death probably having something to do with the comparative failure of the sequel, etc, and Ant Man: Quantumania having lots of men in it). Still, someone else will doubtless challenge current boss Bob Iger in a year or two. Bonus fact: Peltz is Brooklyn Beckham's father-in-law. Yes, apparently Brooklyn Beckham is old enough to be married.

Butchers Blind

In other upset Marvel fans news, an actress has been chosen to play the Silver Surfer in the F4 movie.

Mister Six

I was wondering the other day how a film with a majority white, majority male cast would make it out of Marvel (even if one of those men is Hispanic, which counts as a race in America, and also Twitter is apparently now treating white Jews like they're a minority post-Maestro) and I guess this is how. Surprised she's also white and blonde, but I guess she'll be all silvery in the film anyway.

(Not a complaint, BTW, just acknowledging that Disney is one of those companies that's all about surface-level inclusion.)

There have been a couple of female heralds of Galactus in the comics - including SS's girlfriend, Shalla-bel, whom Julia Garner is playing according to Deadline - so the whiny comic fans can do one.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Butchers Blind on April 04, 2024, 01:39:47 PMIn other upset Marvel fans news, an actress has been chosen to play the Silver Surfer in the F4 movie

That's an awful decision.
Spoiler alert
No-one needs another F4 movie
[close]

Magnum Valentino

Didn't Johnny's ex Frankie Raye also end up as one of Galactus' heralds?

Mister Six

Yeah, she was also the one featured in the Silver Surfer TV show.

dissolute ocelot

I like the way they keep remaking Fantastic Four films despite them all being shit. It's like how Americans keep trying to remake the IT Crowd or Red Dwarf or Fawlty Towers. It all adds to the lore.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on April 04, 2024, 12:51:54 PMStill, someone else will doubtless challenge current boss Bob Iger in a year or two.

Probably not, given that Iger is tasked to find a better successor than Chapek was.

And Nelson Peltz belongs to a tradition of brash hedge fund managers, Carl Icahn wannabes, and their trick is well documented.
First, they find a company where the stock lost something like 20 to 30% in the last few months, even if the fundamentals are good.
Then, they spend billions to buy stock, and get a significant share, even if they're just minority investors.
That allows them to give interviews, in which they criticize the current management. The strategy is all wrong, with the help of a few changes, profits would go up, etc.
So, they get the attention of at least a few other minority investors that are dissatisfied with the current performance of the stock. And they try to get momentum for a campaign that lasts a few months. The goal is not necessarily to overthrow the key executives, but to put heat on them, and it ends at the shareholders meeting.
The hedge fund manager and their allies fill a few motions at the meeting. These motions may not pass, they're just short-term measures that would actually hurt the plans for longtime development, but the disgruntled investors will get an extra bone beforehand from the executives, who prefer to have everything adopted with at least 90% of the votes.
The stock price gets a little higher, allowing the hedge fund manager to get rid of the shares with a profit, that justifies the money being immobilized for months. Of course, if the company is actually troubled and the current management resigns, once the new management replaces them, they basically sell the company into separate lots, which nets them even more money.
And that's when they move on to their next target.

beanheadmcginty

Can't help picturing Nelson Muntz whenever I read Nelson Peltz.

dead-ced-dead

I watched The Marvels the other day. It's not good, for all the reasons said here, but one bright spot was Iman Vellani. She's chirpy and precocious without slipping into Anakin Skywalker smackableness (IT'S A WORD!).

I hope she manages to find a career outside of Marvel movies. I also fear she's been the victim of the usual toxic bullshit from Marvel's more racist, sexist fans, like how Kelly Marie was treated in by Star Wars fans. But, at least Tran has found success as a voice actress.

Kelvin

Pretty baffling that they're launching straight into another take on Galactus and Silver Surfer. That seems very large scale for a character-led reintroduction to these recurring flopstars. 

Mister Six

I was thinking that, but maybe Galactus proper will turn up in the sequel. Or maybe he'll be like Dormammu in Doctor Strange - a weird thing seen in the the final confrontation (and maybe a bit before that), but not a major character throughout the film.

13 schoolyards

Yeah, you'd have to think the film'll be something like - act one: hanging out establishing the FF, act two: it's the Silver Surfer's time to shine (by being weird and making lots of ominous comments along the lines of "he's coming"), act three, enter Galactus as some giant space version of a tidal wave, maybe gets a few lines but the focus is on the FF and the Surfer (with the Surfer changing sides at some point) trying to stop him from trashing the place

Mr Vegetables

A lot of people very into comics seem to think the Fantastic Four are an exciting group of characters who the average person will pay a lot of money to see, and I've never been convinced that's the case. There seems to be a sense that an MCU Fantastic Four is a very big draw all on its own

13 schoolyards

Comic readers won't even pay money to read Fantastic Four comics half the time

letsgobrian

The temptation to do the Galactus story is because it's the one story from the Fantastic Four comics that you can easily conceive as a movie.

The Kirby run has arguably 3 great arcs, and they've already done The Inhumans (badly) and Black Panther (success) before the FF showed up.

Other acclaimed runs tend to rely on nostalgia or great big ideas spanning years of comics.

Even when people try to retell or condense the FF, like in Fantastic Four: Life Story, Ultimate Fantastic Four or Fantastic Four: Grand Design it doesn't really work because a lot of the original work over the decades was subpar.

But people will keep on trying because Ben Grimm is one of the greatest comic book characters.

beanheadmcginty

I just don't know how they can get around the fact that Mr Fantastic's superpower is fundamentally absurd looking.

Blumf

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on April 08, 2024, 12:43:40 AMI just don't know how they can get around the fact that Mr Fantastic's superpower is fundamentally absurd looking.

Wonder if DC will ever do a Plastic Man film. (Quick check suggests something that sound like it's in development hell)