Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:22:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Breaking Bad- Season 4

Started by actwithoutwords, July 12, 2011, 05:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funcrusher

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on August 25, 2011, 09:48:24 AM
But as was pointed out, he was still drunk. And fed up of continually being painted as the weak, put-upon minion of the real druglord by Skyler. Given his arrogance and the knowledge that he is vital to Gus's business, combined with alcohol, it's perfectly understandable/feasible that he'd react as he did. We saw that once he'd had a shower, which sobered him up a bit (you could perhaps criticise that for being a little clichéd, even if it is a truism), he wanted to apologise for his overblown outburst.

But if it's only drunken ranting, rather than a shift in his character to becoming this 'badass', which I could do without, then what's the point of it? It then prompts Skyler to drive off for a bit, flip a coin and then come back. So we're where we were at the start of the episode.

Artemis

Quote from: kitsofan34 on August 24, 2011, 11:51:38 PM
Awesome bomb. http://www.bettercallsaul.com/

Heh, "I can prove that baby's not yours!" - brilliant stuff.

Quote from: FuncrusherSo we're where we were at the start of the episode.

We're not, though. If you accept that this season is about character evolution, as I think Cranston suggested it would be when doing promo work for it prior to the first episode, then Skyler witnessing Walt's outburst, going away to reflect to the extent of considering making a break for it, then coming back again, is a significant development in terms of her positioning for what's to come. If they dwell on it and never move things on (as they were a little guilty of doing sometimes during the marriage breakup in season two) then yes, we're going nowhere, but I don't see them doing that so far this season.

Also, I think the writers/Cranston have been very careful not to just let it descend into 'Walt's gone bad-ass on us!!' territory. In the moments that Walt does do something on that level, it's very delicately played, particularly afterwards, so that we see Walt taking on board what's just happened. I think any criticism of the show so far, that it's become 'WALT'S BECOME HEISENBERG - AWESOME!!' doesn't fairly take into account the subtlety and intricate characterisation that goes into that character[nb]

I know you weren't saying that, I wasn't aiming that at you, just commenting generally, as I've seen such comments start to pop up around the net[/nb]

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: Funcrusher on August 25, 2011, 10:12:15 AM
But if it's only drunken ranting, rather than a shift in his character to becoming this 'badass', which I could do without, then what's the point of it?

That it was drunken doesn't mean it isn't also what Walt believes, albeit a massively exaggerated version (due to the drunkenness and him getting worked up by, and reacting aggressively to, Skyler's characterisation of him). I took it as him letting the mask slip, revealing more to Skyler than he intended to[nb]I believe he wanted to let her know that he's important enough to the operation that neither he nor his family are in immediate danger, but he went further and showed that, not only has he already been involved with things far more serious than simply manufacturing the product, he actually has intentions of gaining more power and control, made fairly explicit by his 'I am the danger'.[/nb], and going over the top because of his state of mind at the time.

Johnny Townmouse

EPISODE 7 SPOILERS HEREIN...

Interesting to see in this thread that I'm not the only hater hating on this season - although it seems like some posters just flat out despise some of the ways this show is going. I'd like to think I sit somewhere in the middle.

But, THAT was easily for me the episode of the season so far. I don't even care that we should have been at this point three or four weeks ago, I just thought every single aspect of that episode was incredible. Even the scenes with Skylar and Walt Jnr didn't piss me off - in fact they were outright enjoyable.

Of course for me this is all becoming about Hank. Frankly, I just want the fucking guy to be in every scene. The moment where we see him emptying and bagging the cup is one of my favourite of the show so far, coming as it did after such an amiable encounter between Gus and Hank that totally suckered me in. The conclusion of the episode was just perfection. I was as happy as a pig in shit watching Hank piece it all together. I'm going to spoiler this even though it is a hunch, but it is a strong one that
Spoiler alert
yer tall white guy chief of police fella is being paid off by Gus. I know they probably want us to believe this, but it does seem that this will be revealed at some point?
[close]

Elsewhere in the episode, I actually didn't mind Walt's car freak-out, and I mightily relieved that they didn't do the 'man walking away as a car explodes behind him' shot. The tension being built up by Jesse's mission to off Gus (they could have given the character a better reason to agree to this though, surely?) is rather brilliant and between the fact that the war between the cartels is now going to be ramped up, and the well written scene with Jesse at the support group, and the fact they can't really launder the money, and Saul clearly getting in a tizz about his probable imminent demise - you have yourself an episode that would have been excellent even WITHOUT all the great scenes with Hank.

I imagine there was a lot to dislike for those that really aren't liking this season - such as the met-affa of Jesse painting the walls, or the aforementioned ease with which he went from enjoying the respect he gets from Gus to agreeing to off the guy, or perhaps the lack of logic involved in Walt's need to kill Gus (surely an act of suicide in itself), OR the fact that Hank seems able to crack the case from his cripple-bed. And Walt's symbolic skidding in circles probably annoyed some as well. But none of that mattered much to me at all.

I know I'm being a bit gushing, but when Breaking Bad is on form I think it is the better of any modern American TV drama.

kitsofan34

I was thinking during the episode that
Spoiler alert
if Walt does eventually kill Hank, it will finally prove he's lost it completely. The man who started all this to protect his own family, ends up killing one of them.
[close]
Fantastic episode though, really REALLY good.

actwithoutwords

Really enjoyed that one. The Walt/Skyler relationship was better, Jesse at the focus group was good, and the Hank stuff was great. Various things still irritating, mainly Walt-related, but like one or two episodes earlier in the season, were more than compensated for with some great stuff and a feeling of escalation. This episode did show that they are still capable of ramping this season up to a good finale, despite some of the charm having dissipated. If they were to go with a corruption angle, that could really open things up well for the last season and a half.

Jamie Oliver is fat

That whole episode was just sublime, the return of Hank and the last few seconds of the episode just superb stuff.

kitsofan34

I hope they don't do a corruption angle for the last series, wouldn't that sort of take away the focus from Walt a little bit? Does anyone know if the last series has been confirmed as one big 16 parter or if it's going to be split up?

hpmons

That was a great episode, Hank was fantastic, and I actually really liked Jesse's breakdown in the rehab group.  And of course the realisation that they can't manage to launder 7m a year!

The car thing bugged me, but in such a good episode it wasn't too intrusively poor.  The one silly thing that irked me was the very first scene where Jesse is playing a game - why the hell is the lighting in the room flashing green and red? Its really annoying.

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on August 29, 2011, 12:17:06 PM
I'm going to spoiler this even though it is a hunch, but it is a strong one that
Spoiler alert
yer tall white guy chief of police fella is being paid off by Gus. I know they probably want us to believe this, but it does seem that this will be revealed at some point?
[close]
Wow, that didn't occur to me, but would kinda fit in.  But yes, it would take the focus away from Walt too much.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: kitsofan34 on August 29, 2011, 06:33:30 PM
I hope they don't do a corruption angle for the last series, wouldn't that sort of take away the focus from Walt a little bit? Does anyone know if the last series has been confirmed as one big 16 parter or if it's going to be split up?

I don't think it's been confirmed yet but there was an interview with Aaron Paul very recently where he said he thought it was likely to be split up.

kitsofan34

Ah shit, that's really not a great idea is it? So instead of one massive 16 part series next year, we get 8 episodes and two more series.

Johnny Townmouse

Yeah, not happy with that at all, if it's true. it's bad enough that it isn't a full hour, without them doing that. I assumed it would be 13 regular episodes, and perhaps three feature episodes.

dr_christian_troy

Damn, that would unfortunately conflict with my work-in-progress regarding the five signs of a chemical reaction in relation to Breaking Bad:

1. Color Change [Season 1]

2. Property Change [Season 2]

3. Temperature Change [Season 3]

4. Gas Formation [Season 4]

5. Solid Formation [Season 5?]

There's something in this, I'm sure...

kitsofan34

Johnny Townmouse's idea is fantastic, feature length episodes to end Breaking Bad. Phwoar.

Old Nehamkin

There do seem to be conflicting reports about whether or not it'll be split. From what I understand, spreading it over two years would be more profitable for AMC and I guess would be a sort of concession for Gilligan being given a definite end point to work towards rather than worrying about dragging out the story now that the show is more popular than ever. So it's possible that the decision was a compromise resulting from the apparently difficult renewal negotiations. Here's the interview, incidentally:
http://uk.eonline.com/news/watch_with_kristin/breaking_bad_star_aaron_paul_spills/260251#ixzz1W5LU85g2

And a quote that'll please those complaining about the pace of the season:

Quote from: Aaron Paul"We just aired episode six of season four, and from episode one to six it was a slow burn," Paul told us. "It is about to get really, really, really crazy—just like our fans want it./quote]

Sal Vicuso

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on August 29, 2011, 09:31:31 PM
Damn, that would unfortunately conflict with my work-in-progress regarding the five signs of a chemical reaction in relation to Breaking Bad:

1. Color Change [Season 1]

2. Property Change [Season 2]

3. Temperature Change [Season 3]

4. Gas Formation [Season 4]

5. Solid Formation [Season 5?]

There's something in this, I'm sure...

Could you elaborate on this please? It sounds interesting. I take it Property Change relates to Jesse's housing situation

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: Sal Vicuso on August 29, 2011, 10:21:15 PM
Could you elaborate on this please? It sounds interesting. I take it Property Change relates to Jesse's housing situation

I'm still working on it, re-watching the series and taking notes, but that's certainly a part of it. Will most likely post it up here by the end of the season.

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on August 29, 2011, 10:24:08 PM
I'm still working on it, re-watching the series and taking notes, but that's certainly a part of it. Will most likely post it up here by the end of the season.

I'd like to see that too, in fact I am already musing on how gas formation relates to this season, and how solid formation could apply to the final season.

I know the producers are being hammered in terms of financing but splitting it seems incredibly stupid to me.

jimmy jazz

I don't get it. Why is spreading it out a bad idea?

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: jimmy jazz on August 29, 2011, 11:52:45 PM
I don't get it. Why is spreading it out a bad idea?

I simply don't think that eight episodes is enough time for a full season of a show like this. We are on episode seven already, so essentially next week would be like a season finale. That just doesn't feel like a full season. Plus the fact that it may force them into a hastily conceived, steep trajectory of a two season double climax (lol) rather than building momentum over 16 episodes towards the end of the show.

Old Nehamkin

Because two shortened seasons spread over two years would be less satisfying than one full length season to finish it off, especially since the number of remaining episodes has already been decided and as far as I know it's the intention to write and produce the final 16 episodes together as one production season, although I could be mistaken about that.
EDIT: Also see above

surreal

Are they deliberately doing product placement in this now to raise extra funds to keep the show afloat? I read somewhere that Mad Men is taking up most of AMC's budgets to the detriment of BB and Walking Dead.  The Dodge Challenger and iD software "Rage" seemed pretty blatant...

Johnny Townmouse

I do wonder about that, mainly because my wife and I were instantly taken by how cool that game looks. But it was more than product placement - the game wasn't lying about his house, it was actually integrated into the story in a very explicit way. If that's what they are doing, then it's worrying, because it could mean that products are causally affecting storylines, rather than simply being added in during production.

I guess the fact that BB doesn't seem to have taken off internationally - certainly only FX seem to show it sporadically in the UK - means that money gets funnelled into popular shows like MM and TWD. Although, in my experience, just about anyone who know who has seen it and persevered beyond the first few episodes of the first season, are hopelessly hooked. I wonder why C4 never picked it up, beyond cost.

kitsofan34

Because they're morons who prefer things like True Blood.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: kitsofan34 on August 30, 2011, 04:30:28 PM
Because they're morons who prefer things like True Blood.

You can like both or either, and not be a moron.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I like both and I am a moron.

dr_christian_troy

I like both and I like Marc Maron.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I like broth and I like marinade.

Jamie Oliver is fat

dr_christian_troy