Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:27:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Blu-ray player IP address fail

Started by Papa Wheelie, December 22, 2023, 09:56:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa Wheelie

I have a Sky router (SR203) and a Panasonic Blu-ray player (UB820). It used to connect to the WiFi no problem but I can't get it online now tomorrow update the firmware. I've factory reset both and while it will connect to the WiFi, it fails to get an IP address.

Aside from sacking off the Sky router for a third party one, has anyone got any advice, please?

(I don't want the official firmware as such, I want to install a hacked firmware for which I need an Internet connection.)

Papa Wheelie

I just kicked it down the stairs and I've stopped watching films

Famous Mortimer

Sebastian Cobb

If you dig in the options will it let you manually set an ip and that?

Papa Wheelie

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 24, 2023, 03:51:48 AMIf you dig in the options will it let you manually set an ip and that?

You can but it also fails to connect. I think it's probably the dogshit Sky router because I've had it connected previously. I've tried to factory reset and tweak router settings but no joy.

Basically, I've patched the Panasonic firmware so it's region free but I'd like to update it to the latest FW and repatch. You need your PC and BD player to be on the same network to do so. If I install the new FW from USB, which is an option, I'll be stuck in Region B if I can't get online to patch. On the other hand, it might also sort out the connectivity issue. It's possible I can't connect because of the jarg FW. I want to patch because the default external subtitles on the UB820 have a blue background and crap font. If I patch it, I can get custom subtitle font and colours. I just got the 4K of Godzilla 1954 but it's only in Japanese. I don't want to watch it with a blue subtitle background.

I wish I lived a thousand years ago.

seepage

Is the telly connected via ethernet? If so, can you try connecting the BD player via ethernet instead to see if that works?

Papa Wheelie

Quote from: seepage on December 24, 2023, 08:52:07 AMIs the telly connected via ethernet? If so, can you try connecting the BD player via ethernet instead to see if that works?

Cheers, that's a good tip. Unfortunately, it's in a room without wired Internet. I had some of those mains extenders at one time but chucked them out. Think I'll just have to tolerate blue background on subtitles or replace the Sky router.

Sonny_Jim

If it's just for a firmware update, try setting up a hotspot on your phone and connecting the player and your PC to that.

Papa Wheelie

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on December 24, 2023, 09:48:36 AMIf it's just for a firmware update, try setting up a hotspot on your phone and connecting the player and your PC to that.

Thanks, good idea. I tried that and same result, it connects but won't allocate an IP address. Must be the player is fucked from all my tinkering with FW.

Sonny_Jim

Yeah probably.  At this point I'd be picking it up and plugging it in the router/PC with an ethernet cable.  Do you need to have a screen attached to update the firmware?  Maybe you can use the PC screen?

Papa Wheelie

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on December 24, 2023, 11:17:59 AMYeah probably.  At this point I'd be picking it up and plugging it in the router/PC with an ethernet cable.  Do you need to have a screen attached to update the firmware?  Maybe you can use the PC screen?

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to get cabling. I can install the stock FW from USB but patching the FW requires a connection to the PC via the network. You basically set up a USB with the patching software and control the player remotely over the network. I should probably just be thankful I've got the region free stuff unlocked and I can play external subs. If I install the stock FW, that will be gone. Big gamble to change the colour of subtitles, really.

Papa Wheelie

Fuck it. I gambled and the updated stock FW has allowed it to reconnect to the Internet. Lost all the RF capabilities and external subs but at least I'm in a position to double down and risk patching it again.

Godzilla or Bust.

seepage

treat yourself to a new one for Christmas

Papa Wheelie

Took about four attempts because I haven't got a clue how to use Linux but it eventually worked. Latest FW and patched in RF and custom subtitle styles.

Now watching the Spectrum 4K of the Millennium Mambo with lovely grey subtitles on a translucent background.

Merry Christmas and thanks for all the help and encouragement.

If anyone has the Panasonic UB420/820/9000 and wants any help on patching in region free switching FW, hit me up. X

Sonny_Jim

Glad you got it working eventually.

Papa Wheelie

Cheers fella, appreciate your throwing the ball back and forth. Merry Christmas!