Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:20:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

30 Rock Season 6

Started by Small Man Big Horse, January 29, 2012, 12:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

I've had a mixed relationship with 30 Rock over the years, I've always enjoyed it but felt it's not quite as good as it should be. They've been capable of producing an episode that could match The Office & Parks and Recreation at their best, but these were too few and far between. The "Too much Kenneth" years were in hindsight particularly painful as well, but I thought season five was it's best yet, and season six is looking like the show could finally turn in to something special.

The first episode wasn't spectacular in any way but it was well written and very likeable, but the recent two parter which guest starred Will Arnett, Denise Richards and Kelsey Grammar was an enormous amount of fun. There were plenty of daft gags thrown in, Alec Baldwin seems to be finally enjoying it again, it moved along at a brisk pace and the joke rate in general was pretty impressive. Plus Grammar chewed the scenery like never before, and was a fantastic addition (
Spoiler alert
the Bond-theme at the end of the first episode made his appearance worth while alone)
[close]

I've yet to see the fourth episode, and am still wary, but hey, let's be optimistic and hope that this year sees it finally become the show I always hoped it would be.

Mini

I've never had a complaint about 30 Rock and think it gets better with every season. These opening episodes have not disappointed. Jenna has been particularly brilliant.

Gulftastic

I was a bit disappointed with  the first in the season, it felt a bit flat for some reason. Since then, it's been right back to form. Great stuff all round. Denise Richards was good value.

Dead kate moss

Didn't realise a new 'season' had started. Feasted on the first four episodes in one go. Was very good, densely packed with literally millions of great lines, to all intensive purposes.

Big Jack McBastard

Thanks for the heads up I'll be tucking into them shortly.

vrailaine

Hold on, was season 5 good?! I kinda got sick of the characters during 4, and Kenneth always was the exact kind of character that makes me turn off a show, total poison.

Small Man Big Horse

Yeah, I think so, Kenneth was definitely given less to do, and Tracey was off for a fair few episodes as well (presumably doing a movie or something) which the show benefited from. Jenna's finally turned in to a really great character this year as well, with her role on talent show, and she was deliciously demented in the recent two parter.

non capisco

The parody of that terrible 'Valentine's/New Year's' day franchise was great. 'Got MLK?'

tomasrojo

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 29, 2012, 07:28:50 PM
Tracey was off for a fair few episodes as well (presumably doing a movie or something) which the show benefited from.

Was that perhaps the period when he had a kidney transplant?  He's had an awful lot of health problems, related to his diabetes.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: non capisco on January 29, 2012, 09:28:38 PM
The parody of that terrible 'Valentine's/New Year's' day franchise was great. 'Got MLK?'
Given the friends of theirs that must have been in the real film, it becomes even funnier.

Mini

This week's double episode was superb, if just for the return of Dr. Spaceman

phes

Quote"Unfortunately there's no field of medicine that deals with the brain. Here, let me give you this leaflet for a cult..."

When they are in Ikea (about 16m) a guy walking across the screen with a trolley jerks backward. What's that about?

Neomod

Really enjoyed Kristen Schaal's turn this week.

Colonel Clink

Didn't feel like this should've been a double length episode this week. There wasn't enough good stuff to justify it and the page sub plot was pretty weak.

Mini

This weeks episode was absolutely flawless, if you gave up on it recently check it out. Stunning actually. Watched this weeks Office before it and the difference in quality was enormous.

mikeyg27

It's been mostly coasting this season but that episode was a highlight. The joke about Jenna's
Spoiler alert
gun
[close]
immediately made my list of all-time favourite 30 Rock jokes, and kind of confirmed my opinion that Jenna is a much better character the more psychopathic she is (instead of the vain actressy bullshit the often use).

Mister Six

Quote from: vrailaine on January 29, 2012, 06:42:59 PM
Hold on, was season 5 good?! I kinda got sick of the characters during 4, and Kenneth always was the exact kind of character that makes me turn off a show, total poison.

Season five was a massive improvement after season four, especially once they remembered that they had a really great supporting cast and it didn't have to be the Kenneth/Jenna/Tracey show every week.

Very funny episode, the censor,
Spoiler alert
Gaylord Felcher
[close]
, at the end the highlight for me.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: mikeyg27 on March 10, 2012, 06:01:03 PM
It's been mostly coasting this season but that episode was a highlight. The joke about Jenna's
Spoiler alert
gun
[close]
immediately made my list of all-time favourite 30 Rock jokes, and kind of confirmed my opinion that Jenna is a much better character the more psychopathic she is (instead of the vain actressy bullshit the often use).

I'm finding the opposite, I think this is it's best season yet, which is quite surprising given that there's been no major cast changes or anything like that. I thought this week's was superb as well though, they're clearly having a lot of fun and trying to throw in as many gags as possible, and it's been beautiful stuff.

Mini

It was a perfect episode, proving that 30 Rock still has that edge over other US sitcoms. Alec Baldwin Vs. Chloe Moretz is one of my favourite things

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Lots of great stuff last night - Gaylord Felcher and his self assured rudeness was a particular highlight. I can't say I ever felt the show declined noticeably, although I agree about the supporting cast being neglected (which this episode was also guilty of) overall though, I'm just not that fussed by the show any more. I doesn't help that I've spent the last week watching Parks and Recreation, which does a lot of similar stuff but has the benefit of being new to me.

Mini

I'm also catching up with Parks and Recreation and it is brilliant, but it doesn't have the teeth of 30 Rock, which I find way more exciting and way funnier

Just watching this weeks opening again - the opening 4 minute pre-titles scene has SO much incredible stuff going on in it. Genuinely every single line is golden. Particular favourite has to be Tracy's entrance - "I feel like Oscar The Grouch today, and not just 'cause I woke up in a garbage can this morning startling someone named Gordon".

Gulftastic

I loved Jenna's explanation of how she can make herself cry; 'It's a trick I learned from Glenn Beck's prostitute.'

mikeyg27

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 11, 2012, 12:30:45 AM
I can't say I ever felt the show declined noticeably, although I agree about the supporting cast being neglected (which this episode was also guilty of) overall though, I'm just not that fussed by the show any more.

I wouldn't say I'm not fussed by the show any more, but this is pretty close to how I feel. I don't think there's been a decline of the past few seasons so much as a plateauing - at this point, the show is what it is and you pretty much know what you're getting for better and for worse.

Mini

It's just masterfully written. "I had fruit roll-ups for dinner. At a strip club."

Dark Sky

My new favourite joke is Tracey going, "I've finally figured out the ending to the Sixth Sense!  It's a list of all the guys who worked on the movie!"

In other news, my DVD of season 5 turned up today, and they've fucked up the live show.  THANKS

(They've put an amalgamated edit of both performances as the 'main' episode, removing flubs, choosing between particular gags, and cutting off before Fey introduces 'The Office' at the end.  They do have the West Coast performance complete as an extra, which is wonderful, but not the East Coast one.  I'm really annoyed.)

Neomod

This season is definitely getting better. Last nights St Patrick's day episode was superb. So many lovely touches.

Mini

Always good to see Dennis.
Spoiler alert
"We need to talk. Open a bag o' wine."
[close]