Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:48:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

30 Rock Season 6

Started by Small Man Big Horse, January 29, 2012, 12:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latest episode was fantastic,
Spoiler alert
Billy Baldwin
[close]
playing an actor playing Jack was inspired and the
Spoiler alert
Weird Al Yankovic
[close]
stuff was very funny indeed.

Mini

It reaffirmed my belief that 30 Rock is the best of all the thousands of shows I watch at the moment

Neomod

I'm really enjoying Kristen Schaal's turn too in the recent episodes.

phes

Bah humbug - couple of niggles: Not enough of the writers - they're funny! Too much Jenna and Kenneth.

Still getting the most belly laughs of all the comedies I watch.

Famous Mortimer

The most recent episode, where they make the TV movie on Avery's kidnap, is maybe my favourite episode of the show ever. It's absolutely firing on all cylinders magnificent, barely a second is wasted without a joke, Billy Baldwin does an amazing impression of his brother and absolutely every character clicks. I hope whoever wrote this one goes on to many more episodes, and has particularly satisfying sex with the person of their choice.

Seriously, it's fantastic. If you've drifted away from the show recently, give this one a try (episode 14).

bitesize

Wiki says it was written by Liz Lemon herself. Really was brilliant, wish she'd write more episodes - looking at that list, she's written less and less each season.

Small Man Big Horse

I noticed she'd written it during the opening credits and so my expectations were high, but it delivered and then some. As mentioned, Billy Baldwin was fantastic (I can't imagine Stephen or Daniel being able to pull off such a thing) and there were loads of great lines - "Everyone lies to themselves, I mean I refuse to buy larger underwear and it looks like when you tie a string around a roast" being the one that made me laugh the hardest.

Plus a woman directed it as well - so whenever the "Can women be as funny as men?" argument rears it's ugly head we finally have concrete proof that they can!

I do miss the writer's as well, I watched the pilot the other day and realised I'd completely forgotten about Josh, and how some had just disappeared along the way, but whilst it's this strong I don't really mind, and hopefully next year they'll feature more.

Dark Sky

Quote from: bitesize on March 27, 2012, 10:58:33 AM
Wiki says it was written by Liz Lemon herself. Really was brilliant, wish she'd write more episodes - looking at that list, she's written less and less each season.

Possibly more parenting responsibilities...both her and hubbie producer/composer Jeff Richmond have masses of workload on this show and now two little babbies to look after!  Though I notice there's been more and more MIDI synthesised scores recently...that could be down to budget rather than time, though.

I adore 30 Rock but find it a bit of a mixed bag over the last few years, though so saying I always end up enjoying them more when binging many episodes in a row on the DVD, rather than one episode a week.  Or this time, two episodes...the first one was very weak, I thought, whereas the second was much, much better, though the direction seemed a bit weird.

Mini

For me 30 Rock is one of those shows, like Peep Show, which just gets better and better.

Big Jack McBastard

Pretty much all of this season have been belters, great writing and performances.

Tracy Morgans no punctuation delivery replete with unexpected stresses on the wrong words in a sentence totally altering it's feeling or meaning still crack me up now, Kenneth revealing his dark side to Jack was great and the 'Technically my parents were brothers' aside adding to the sundry list of his weird hick features. Chloe Moretz was again perfect as Jacks foil and had some cracking lines right off the bat.

The Jenna/Tracy rivalry and alliances rife with self serving corruption and fame whoring gushing out of every pore, like giving two hyperactive attention seeking brats free reign to be as big headed as they can possibly be. I love that Kenneth now has a foil in Ms Wassername and that was perfect casting, the mad character and her quirky delivery fits perfectly with the rest of the performances.

It's very... alive, it technically changes quite a bit from season to season while retaining what makes it entertaining.

Small Man Big Horse

I'm just so impressed with the gag rate of the show, and the quality too. Schaal's "Take a picture, it'll last longer...here you go..." line seems like one of those gags that must have been done before because it's such a great joke, but I can't remember ever seeing it. Other than Delocated it's my favourite show on right now, and I'm surprised to find I'm loving it even more than Parks and Recs.

Mini

It makes me laugh out loud more than any show on at the moment, and is sharper and more ruthless in its satire than anything else too

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mini on April 01, 2012, 02:34:10 AM
It makes me laugh out loud more than any show on at the moment, and is sharper and more ruthless in its satire than anything else too

It's frustrating as it's a show that I want to share with friends, but many have seen some of the early episodes, didn't take to it, and don't fancy revisiting it. I know a lot of people here have loved it consistently throughout, but this really is the best it's ever been for me, and I wish I could persuade folks to give it another go.

Pie Pie Eater

Although I agree that this season has been strong, the most recent episode was pretty laugh-free for me. It was surprisingly one-dimensional plot-wise as well.

Yes, latest one was very baggy - 5NOWDOG5, and the Kabletown shareholder meeting and dog fashion show did make me laugh though. Kristen Schaal is getting on my nerves now, all she's doing is reprising Mel from FOTC.

Quote from: HMS Beanspiller on April 03, 2012, 10:58:49 AM
all she's doing is reprising Mel from FOTC.

Actually I hadn't thought about that but I suppose it's true - it had mostly passed me by because she's much more aggressive in her psychopathic ways but the more subtle tones of FOTC wouldn't quite match 30 Rock's cartoon-y, fast-paced style. Then again, it doesn't seem like she really has any other kind of act... or perhaps there's not really an act going on? It reminds me of Maria Bamford, in that the part of her act that makes her different from your average is in fact just her as a person.

Dark Sky

I'm getting used to her being in it now, but her character seems to be a bit all over the place at the moment.  At first she seemed a bit more level headed, but now it's like she's completely cuckoo.

I really, really loved the latest episode and think it was one of the best there's been in years, so bit surprised to see people ragging on it here.  You guys make me cry.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Dark Sky on April 04, 2012, 10:30:31 AM
I really, really loved the latest episode and think it was one of the best there's been in years, so bit surprised to see people ragging on it here.  You guys make me cry.

Me too, so I'm pretty sure that everyone else is wrong and we're right.

I've been rewatching some of the first season this week and it's amazing how different a show it is - the pace is far slower, it's much more reality based, and even Tracy is vaguely sane at the beginning (bar the episode he's on the wrong medication, admittedly). I'd completely forgotten that Jack and Liz were so combative at first too, and that it's about seven episodes in before their friendship kicks in.

Mini

This week's is an incredible episode again. I love when Pete gets storylines because he's such a great character, and Dr. Spaceman is always hilarious. That Sorkin-esque gag was brilliant too. And
Spoiler alert
"Smells like Grandma's house at Christmas. That's when we found her dead on the toilet"
[close]
is one of those classic 30 Rock lines.

Ejit

Loved the previous couple but I didn't think that one was so great to be honest. No real big laughs for me and, although it's perhaps unfair to criticise 30 Rock for quality of individual jokes when there's such quantity, some of them were just really lazy e.g. 'the most modest person in the world'.

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

"It's a California Kong, which is two California Kings held together with gorilla leather"

Mini

The latest episode was, as always, brilliant. Tracy, Jack's mum, Jenna, the song at the end, all brilliant. Especially Jenna.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Mini on April 14, 2012, 09:50:38 PM
The latest episode was, as always, brilliant. Tracy, Jack's mum, Jenna, the song at the end, all brilliant. Especially Jenna.
Indeed. Liz dancing while Tracey and his son made it rain above her was a highlight.

Mini

Liz dancing is always a highlight.

Famous Mortimer

Oh, and Jenna's sexual walkabout checklist:

-General Zod
-Run a train with the cast of Training Day on a train
-Shower with the Snapple woman
-the Lorax
-Supreme Court Justice -- Liberal

and the ones she'd already ticked off:
Ed Begley/Hank Williams Jr., Next to a horse being born, in a blimp, orgy with seal team 6, a guy who just farted

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

There was also Supreme Court Justice -- Conservative as well I believe, in the interests of evenhandedness.

"It's montage time!"
"But Tracy, Montage quit stripping and is married with kids now."
"Oh. In that case we'll just do a series of activities."

phantom_power

Apparently Donald Glover is returning to play a young Tracy Jordan, possibly in another live episode, although I might have conflated two separate facts there. He has already appeared as Jordan in voice only during a song where they couldn't get Morgan in to finish it off and Glover's impression is so good they used him instead. Sorry I can't remembe which song.

Mini

Spoiler alert
"My kindergarten teacher was a former black panther."
[close]

Dark Sky

"I've never made a mistake so I don't totally understand, but I'm here for you, Jane"

Mini

That was a fantastic live show. It's practically not 30 Rock, but as self-indulgent taking advantage of all Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin's famous friends I love it.
Spoiler alert
Jon Hamm blacked up and Amy Poehler as young Liz being highlights that I can remember.
[close]