Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:29:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

30 Rock Season 6

Started by Small Man Big Horse, January 29, 2012, 12:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gulftastic

I'm glad I saw the East Coast version.

Spoiler alert
in place of Sir Paul McCartney, the West Coast got one of the blooming Kardasians.

Donald Glover as young Tracy was a highlight for me. I want a 'St Ray Ray's Blatholic Church' T-Shirt.
[close]

Neomod

Watched and enjoyed both east and west coast shows especially the
Spoiler alert
Rowan and Martin homage
[close]
and Dr Spaceman,
Spoiler alert
"clap your feet until your service monkey dials the number below".
[close]
Was Mr Baldwin the only cast member too busy to learn his lines this week?

Spoiler alert
Zu bi zu bi zu
[close]

Famous Mortimer

I think it helped that one of the characters he played was someone too drunk / lazy to learn their lines...I saw both versions too, and loved them - although the people who got special guest one were luckier than the people who got special guest 2.

Oh, and:

Small Man Big Horse

I loved the episode, the first couple of minutes felt a bit too forced (though I know that was the idea), but once they were all locked in the room it became beautiful stuff. It was really brave of them to have so many cut aways (I'm guessing the costume changes back stage must have been incredibly hectic) though I did start to notice when certain folks were missing from scenes. It's a shame Baldwin's so publicly moany about 30 Rock, as he's putting in a superb performance, and this probably will be the role he's remembered for the most now, and deservedly so.

Bar the guest stars, were there any notable differences between the two versions? And did Blonde Writer Woman corpse the second time around, or did she manage to contain herself? Oh, and did Baldwin and Scott Adsit kiss in the second version too? I wonder if just before the final flashback Kenneth was supposed stay in shot and grin at the camera too, or if it was just Jack McBrayer messing around.

Neomod

I did spot Frank's doppelgänger straight away.

Thinking about it there were quite a few differences in the punchlines for the second show, Arrested Development's John Beard replaced Jon Hamm for the news sketch and a few other bits and pieces. It's worth a watch.

Was that Lorne Michaels in drag behind Jimmy Fallon?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Neomod on April 29, 2012, 01:41:00 AM
I did spot Frank's doppelgänger straight away.

Ha, I didn't, nor the Frank 2.0 baseball cap.

QuoteThinking about it there were quite a few differences in the punchlines for the second show, Arrested Development's John Beard replaced Jon Hamm for the news sketch and a few other bits and pieces. It's worth a watch.

Thanks, I will definitely get hold of it at some point or another.

Was that Lorne Michaels in drag behind Jimmy Fallon?

No, it was Portlandia's Fred Armisen (though I didn't recognise him at the time).

Famous Mortimer

Bryan Williams, the real NBC News anchor, replaced Jon Hamm for the old news clip (he's also hosted Saturday Night Live and done other bits of comedy before). Dr. Spaceman went from being a Nazi doctor to a gay doctor ("Gay because I'm happy. About my many homosexual lovers") - and there were a few punchline differences.

Neomod

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on April 29, 2012, 07:41:24 AM
Bryan Williams, the real NBC News anchor, replaced Jon Hamm for the old news clip (he's also hosted Saturday Night Live and done other bits of comedy before).

Oops, they all look the same to me.

John Beard

Bryan Williams

Dark Sky

I was a bit "meh" about them doing another live show, and when in the first couple of minutes it started doing the same gimmicks as last year's one I despaired a bit.  Then it turned out to be very different, and very funny, and very wonderful, and actually far, far stronger an episode than the previous one.

Hope they don't fuck it up on the season six DVD boxset.

Utter Shit

I thought that was excellent. I hadn't been all that impressed with this season so far and was a little surprised at the positive response on here, but that episode was really great.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Recycling another novel format from the previous series - in this case the Queen of Jordan reality show - could be seen as a sign of the show running seriously short out of ideas, especially the week after the second live broadcast. Happily though, it's packed with enough laughs that it doesn't really seem a problem.

In fact, despite having said I wasn't really bothered with 30 Rock any more, a short while ago, it's managed to rise back to the top of the Thursday night U.S. comedy line up for me.

Dark Sky

Apparently NBC asked them to do another live show this year.  I suppose it's possible it'll become an annual thing.

Didn't they follow last years live ep with a Queen Of Jordan one too? Probably figured if they were already repeating themselves with a format shift then they could do it twice while the idea has mileage.

It feels like this season has been pretty flawless so far, very exciting seeing it reach these heights again. I just hope they can keep it going, wasn't there some talk of Baldwin bailing a year or two ago?

Famous Mortimer

There were some great bits in there, but the Queen of Jordan joke is one that doesn't need to spread over an entire episode.

Mini

It wasn't as good as last years QofJ episode but still great, especially Liz's feud with a baby

easytarget

This Queen of Jordan bullshit needs to fucking end right now. It's dreadful.

To give it the benefit of the doubt - maybe it's funnier if you're familiar with reality TV perhaps there's some subtle clever in-jokes that I'm missing. And maybe my revulsion to the format made me miss some good stuff. But probably not - on with the anger:

30Rock is capable of so much more than this - they should leave the reality TV parodies to SNL (that way no-one will have to watch it).

This is like if your favourite band released their new album and when you listened to it, it was just a recording ot the drummer pissing for 45 minutes. QofJ is exactly the same as that.

Exactly.

mook

Quote from: easytarget on May 05, 2012, 06:39:14 PM
This Queen of Jordan bullshit needs to fucking end right now. It's dreadful.

To give it the benefit of the doubt - maybe it's funnier if you're familiar with reality TV perhaps there's some subtle clever in-jokes that I'm missing. And maybe my revulsion to the format made me miss some good stuff. But probably not - on with the anger:

30Rock is capable of so much more than this - they should leave the reality TV parodies to SNL (that way no-one will have to watch it).

This is like if your favourite band released their new album and when you listened to it, it was just a recording ot the drummer pissing for 45 minutes. QofJ is exactly the same as that.

Exactly.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: The Region Legion on May 05, 2012, 06:38:07 AM
It feels like this season has been pretty flawless so far, very exciting seeing it reach these heights again. I just hope they can keep it going, wasn't there some talk of Baldwin bailing a year or two ago?

Baldwin has a rant about leaving every year, it's getting ridiculous now. The current rumour suggests that he's finally signed on for series 7, but wants to call it a day then.

It took a while for this episode to get going, but from the half way on point it was very funny stuff, with Kenneth's
Spoiler alert
"What's Cocaine Like?"
[close]
line being delivered perfectly. And the "Next Week on..." bit was lovely too.

Dark Sky

Like last week's live episode I sighed when it turned out to be a repeat of a previous year's format, but once again the execution was so good it ultimately didn't matter.  I think that was as strong as, if not better, than last year's episode, with lots of wonderful little jabs at reality TV.  My favourite one being the scrunchy book suddenly changing into a completely silent toy giraffe :)

My only annoyance was that the "I want my face blurred" gag has been done before on People Like Us, and before that on The Simpsons.

Famous Mortimer

The Jack / Avery's mum plot made no fucking sense - Jack is in charge of the show, right? So he could just demand that the cameraman delete the footage, or make sure it never made it to air, so the whole thing with them setting up a restaurant to cover up for something which was already on camera was just silly and not particularly funny either.

Dark Sky

Well you could have made the same arguments about the previous Queen of Jordan episode where Jack is made to look increasingly stupid.

Maybe there's a clause which states that anything they film can be broadcast, or perhaps Jack has little control over Bravo?

Neomod

My least favourite episode this season but I'm sure a mere glitch.

Small Man Big Horse

Well it's been renewed for another season, but the bad news is that it will only be 13 episodes long, and will be the final one.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/nbc-officially-renews-30-rock-for-its-final-season,73872/

It's such a shame that it didn't at least get a full order, given that it's better than ever right now. Ah well, at least it hasn't been cancelled outright.

Famous Mortimer

The sadder news for NBC is looking at the list of new comedies they have picked up, not a single one sounds interesting or particularly funny.

Dark Sky

Well I'm glad it's going to end on a high and not drag itself along for a final few years minus Alec Baldwin or whoever else would decide to abandon ship.  Odd that it's only 13 episodes, though, I wonder what the thinking behind that is?

Famous Mortimer

Maybe they're going to have a couple of shorter-season shows - Community also has 13 eps.

I think the way the networks have treated some shows this year, with seemingly random gaps of a few weeks here and there so a 22-episode show can go all the way from November to May, has been a bit bad. It'd be nice if shows were on every week, that way they could do more shows. But I bet there's a very good economic reason why they don't.

Also, I'm looking forward to seeing what Tina Fey does next. I predict a few under-performing but great comedy films, then a triumphant return to TV comedy in about 2017.

Dark Sky

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on May 11, 2012, 09:56:38 AMI think the way the networks have treated some shows this year, with seemingly random gaps of a few weeks here and there so a 22-episode show can go all the way from November to May, has been a bit bad.

That always happens, though, doesn't it?  I don't follow many US shows week on week, but in all the years I've been downloading things like 30 Rock, The Office, and House, there's always random weeks where they're just not on.

And yeah, I hope Fey can find a new vehicle which can play to her strengths, but still feel like it's doing something new...

Dayraven

QuoteThat always happens, though, doesn't it?
They were already doing it by the end of the 50s.

Famous Mortimer

Eh, fair enough, it just seemed worse this last year than it has in my previous downloading years.

Dark Sky

Shit, that was the last episode of the season!  I wasn't ready!